SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Switching from Cable to Satellite

Hello all,

I am looking to get some suggestions on migrating my current SageTV setup from Cable (Charter) to Satellite (DirecTV).

Currently, I have a dedicated server for Sage running WHS. In the server I have one WinTV-500 dual tuner, and an additional WinTV-150 that is just a single tuner. I additionally have a Artec T14A HDTV USB tuner (believe it only receives OTA HD, if anyone can confirm my thought here). Right now I just run a splitter on our main cable feed to split to the two tuner cards and this thus gives me 3 "channels" that I can tune at will. I have no set-top boxes nor do I need any really. For clients I have one SageTV HD Extender and then a PC with the client and another PC with placeshifter.

I am looking to switch to DirecTV but I am not sure what I would all need or use or should order from DirecTV. I believe the Artec I can get working for HD channels free, and that is fine, I have no need for DirecTV's HD additional channels, locals are fine. From reading around I believe I would need 3 standard DirecTV receivers if I want to tune 3 channels still. However here is where I am having a hard time understanding what I exactly need. Because I have a capture card with a dual tuner, this won't work with the standard two receivers will it, since I only have one coaxial input on the card, I can only take one input from one receiver right? Or would I use coaxial and the composite on the tuner to get both working?

Additionally I am understanding that I would need (one?) USB-UIRT in order to control the DirecTV receivers. Or is there an easy method for serial control, and if I could even use serial control would I need 3 serial ports, one for each tuner or can they be daisy-chained somehow?

I am just trying to get a feel for all I would need to do this, the cable seems like a much easier way of going but its much more expensive for monthly rates and more limited selection for channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Josh
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

You could use the coax out from two receivers, one to each of your tuner inputs. Then hook up a third receiver to the the s-video input of your two tuner card. You can control up to three receivers with the USB-UIRT by using zones but the USB-UIRT device itself send signal to one and ir buds are used for the other two. You can also use serial/usb converter cables to control your receivers if you add serial ports to your PC.

This is all SD recording though.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Sage User

That was my thinking, one coaxial to each tuner and then some other video source. So if I used the s-video, I am assuming I would use the Red and White stereo audio channels to grab audio with the S-Video input?

For the serial control you mentioned I would have to have an individual serial port for each receiver correct? Second, does Sage directly support with minimal setup serial control and/or the USB-UIRT control? Is there a benefit to either or which have you found to be easiest and best overall?

And I am fine with SD tuning of all these considering I have the Artec that can do the HD tuning of locals that are necessary.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Sage User

In just looking quick I am thinking this looks like a pretty good solution:

http://www.patersontech.com/products...ranslator.aspx

Would I need 3 of these or is it possible to daisy-chain the receivers somehow to control all 3, and can Sage even support 3 of these such controllers? Where can I read more on how to install/use these control devices?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Sage Icon

You will need one serial cable and one serial port for each receiver.

Both serial and USB-UIRT work very well but the serial channel change seems to be a bit faster. I used the USB-UIRT with total satisfaction until I overloaded my USB ports and wanted to get some traffic off of them.

I have not had a missed channel change with either method.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT