SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Vista 64 bit support? Coming from the dark side if so...

I've been searching for an answer to my question but haven't really found the answer, so pardon my starting a new thread right after my first visit here...

I recently built a new machine and installed Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I want to move my Hauppage WinTV-PVR-150 card over from my old machine and record television programs. I used to use BeyondTV. Please don't judge me for that. Since SnapStream seems to think that ignoring 64 bit is the way to go, I am looking at using SageTV but haven't really seen it explicitly stated whether or not 64 bit operating systems are supported. Can anyone point me to some info on 64 bit support for Sage? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

I don't think there is a problem with SageTV the software running on Vista 64bit. It may not be designed to take full advantage of the 64 bit OS, but it should still work.

The bigger question comes down to driver support. Does your hardware (tuner cards, etc) have 64bit drivers? This is becoming less of an issue with Vista being around for a while now, but there might still be older hardware that hasn't had a 64bit driver writen for it.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
SageTVaholic

It appears that there might be 64-bit drivers for the PVR150 if you go to Hauppauge's web site and download the latest driver CD. It has what appear to be 64-bit driver on it but I can't tell which devices they are for.

I'm not sure this goes for their 64-bit driver if there is one for the 150 but the 32-bit driver had a known bug where it wouldn't work properly on a system with 4GB or more of RAM. And the only way to have 4GB or more of usable RAM is to have a 64-bit OS. The drivers apparently don't like it when the hardware address is mapped above the 4GB mark and go all batty. Hauppauge has acknowledged the problem but apparently have no plan to fix it. The only solution is to drop down to 2-3GB of RAM for the card to work properly.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Hauppage does list the PVR-150 as having passed the 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft WHQL test and lists a 64 bit driver as available for that card. I don't mind a card or software not taking full advantage of the 64 bit OS... I really just want it to work and will not lower my RAM to make it work.

Ah... after a little more digging, Microsoft also lists the PVR-150 as compatible. I will go ahead and try the tuner in my new machine and try the Sage trial with fingers crossed. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage User

I am doing the same thing (new PC with Vista 64 and hauppauge pvr 150). I get a picture but it is very choppy. Let me know how it works out for you and I will do the same.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

I needed to rebuild my wife’s machine after an untimely death and decided to play with Vista 64 before eventually loading it with 32bit again. (I am saving the 64 license for the next rebuild of my personal desktop. I ditched it last year because I could not get a good HD video editor to work with it.)

I tried the SageTV client with it this time. (Just Client, no capture cards) I was able to get it to play all the HD-PVR content as well as normal SD and OTA HD without issues. The one issue I had was high CPU usage with playback. It did not appear to use the hardware from the video card like XP does.

I used a Hauppauge 1600 capture card in Vista Media Center the fist time I installed Vista 64 and it worked Ok then in testing but I never tried SageTV.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I've decided when/if I ever upgrade my server to Vista I'm going to stick with 32-bit. I'm happy with my main machine running 64-bit Vista but there are some things with running a 64-bit OS, particularly Vista, that I don't know will mesh that well with SageTV.

I seem to remember someone having trouble with the HD-PVR on 64-bit Vista. For now though my server is running great with good old XP Pro.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Sage User

today’s world of tomorrow

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by vree View Post
I want to move my Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 card ... ...64 bit operating systems are supported. Can anyone point me to some info on 64 bit support for Sage? Thanks in advance!

I’ve been using SageTV for several years now under a 32 Bit OS and wanted to make, what I thought was the obvious leap forward to a 64bit OS) I first tried Windows XP 64bit – TOO MANY ISSUES TO LIST HERE!

Then, I tried Vista 64 bit OS and I can tell you with 100% confidence that you will not get the” Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150” to (play nice) with SAGETV under Vista X64.

First of all, Hauppauge doesn’t have a PVR-150 64 bit driver for Vista. Microsoft supplies the driver directly. The PVR-150 64 bit driver for Vista will work well for Microsoft Media Center but not with SAGETV. The video will stutter, freeze, dance, and sing in SageTV. Un mounting and remounting the card will give you superb results but only for a short while before the ” Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150” entertains you by jumping, dancing and in general, making you the T.V software miserable.

These performance issues come out in the recordings, (if you make it that far…LOL) with or without the SageTVServiceControl running. I spent 8 hours a day for 3 days trying to get the ” Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150” to play nice in 64 BIT but I had no luck. Finally when I discovered that comskip was going to be a problem in 64 bit I dropped the OS completely and filled my $2,000.00 computer system with a 32 bit OS ---YUK!!. I’m a little disappointed but all the multitude of issues that arose mysteriously went away.

=====================================
I too built a new computer system from scratch!
YEAH~!
64 Bit OS Vista Ultra – Gigantic Heat sinks - Fanless Quad CPU’s - Fanless Power Supply – Fanless Super High End Video Card's – ---- Silent Liquid bearings Emergency Temp Triggered Floating Case Fan's (WHAT??? Can I get a Woop..! Woop..!)
WOW!

I Stuffed full of RAM –

(Lions and tigers and bears… Oh My!)

Then I was forced to use a 32 Bit OS because, way too many important, software companies such as SageTV and DivX, Inc continue to make advancements in yesterday technology for the aging folks who write review of their products.

“I thinks it’s sad that developers don’t regard 64 OS’s as being important in this day and age while the fact remains that most CPU’s and computer systems being sold are "64 Bit compliant". Programmers spend most of their time on ageing systems (32-Bit OS) which is destined to become irrelevant as, WE ALL PAY THE PRICE, by being forced to use yesterday’s technology in today’s world of tomorrow.
- Technophobe

Come on SageTV LLC - If you don't stay ahead of the curve… then you may find that the curb (not your customers) is the only thing behind you.

Last edited by Technophobe; 10-27-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophobe View Post
Then, I tried Vista 64 bit OS and I can tell you with 100% confidence that you will not get the” Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150” to (play nice) with SAGETV under Vista X64.
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up! I guess that answers the question for me. I bought the Vista 64 bit license intending to use the computer to the fullest extent. I use my machine for other tasks and using it as a PVR is gravy, so I won't be falling back to a 32 bit OS just to get Sage or any other TV recording program to work. Guess I'll try out Windows Media Center. Thanks for the info, everyone!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe I am lucky, but I have been running Vista x64 with Sage for about a year, and have not had a problem.

I did struggle in the beginning with my hauppauge 1600 card's...but that turned out to be due to the 1600 drivers not playing nice with x64 and 4gigs ram...an updated driver fixed that.

Now I don't have a hd-pvr yet, so not sure about that angle...but Sage with 1600's has been terrific. The WAF is 110%.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Sage User

comskip?

how did you get comskip monitor to work? It says there is an error and could not start?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I do know the R5000 also does not have 64 bit drivers... (and not sure if ti ever will).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room