SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage User

Help! AMD 780G and codec issues?

I just built the following HTPC hoping to replace my two tivos:

1. Asus M3A78-EM with HDMI (AMD780G)
2. Hauppauge 2250 - Dual ATSC tuner
3. AMD X2 5000+

I'm getting really jerky playback on 780p/1080i ATSC channels when full-screened on my 50" Sharp LCD.

My CPU runs at about 50%-60% when the video is in a small window without any jerkiness.

I think this is a codec issue. I've tried the built-in Sage codecs (just the normal sage install on a fresh copy of XP), HD-pack 1.7, and Cyberlink 8.0.

Can anyone with the same mobo recommend a Codec pack that works? Is this what I should expect, tinkering with codecs until one works??

Super frustrated.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using a Gigibyte 780G board (with x2 5400). I had pretty good results with the Intervideo decoder from WinDVD. You might be able to get Sage to use it just by installing a trial version of WinDVD. I'm using overlay. VMR9 is normally ok, but once in a while in long panning shots, I can see just a hint of tearing.

I had jerky playback using the ATI avivo decoder (which I think is a version of the Cyberlink one).

Didn't have problem with Sage's own decoder either, but cpu usage was higher than Intervideo decoder.

Last night, I was recording 2 streams from the HDhomerun, and while playing one of them live, the cpu was ~ 30-45%. That's fullscreen going into a 46" Samsung lcd.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Sage User

Thanks. Tried to install the WinDVD 9.0 trial. Wouldn't install a h.264 codec... Bummer. I think it only comes with the WinDVD 9.0 plus bluray, which they don't have a trial for.

Is there a codec pack that people use? Maybe we should have a sticky thread that lists mobo/codec combos that work.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Sage User

sage_doc, did you increase the memory for your IGP? I had similar playback problems with the "Auto" allocation on the bios. My rig runs an ATX Gygabyte 780G, 4850e, 2GB Gskill, Hauppage 2250. Once I increased the memory to 512 for the IGP, I was able to play HD in full screen. I have other issues but not with playback. I use sage decoder for everything but archived DVDs (cyberlink decoder works best). I am still evaluating sage, as my setup does hang very often but it is only when navigating through the UI.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage User

I have the gigabyte 780G board, I found installing ffdshow got my HD playback working. Using VRM9.

On another note BluRay support was tough too - cyberlink was useless WinDVD is OK but I still get occasional glitches in playback.