SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 AM

Region code restriction error preventing DVD playback

My internal 500G HD is full so I purchased an external 500G usb Western Digital drive and cut / pasted a half dozen riped DVD movies to it. I receive the following error when trying to play the movies:

sage.PlaybackException: Error (-7,0x8) this DVD cannot be played back due to region code restrictions.

The movies played perfectly before the move and all of the unmoved movies remaining on my internal drive still work fine. Any ideas?

By the way I moved my music collection to the new external drive and they work fine.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
slysoft anydvd
Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for your suggestion.

I used AnyDVD to put the originals onto my internal drive. I suppose I could just rip them again but was checking to see if there was a simple fix. I want to move the rest of my movies from the internal drive to the external drive to free up the space but now it seems like I may not be able to. Is cut and paste not the correct way to move the movie files?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

You should be able to cut and paste them. Check and make sure you have the right decoder chosen in Detailed Setup-DVD.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1212 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion.

I used AnyDVD to put the originals onto my internal drive. I suppose I could just rip them again but was checking to see if there was a simple fix. I want to move the rest of my movies from the internal drive to the external drive to free up the space but now it seems like I may not be able to. Is cut and paste not the correct way to move the movie files?
I had the same problem as you. Because I had made several changes at once, I hadn't realized that I have moved the files right before it stopped working until I read your post. I had moved the file from an internal IDE HD to an external USB IDE enclosure with multiple drives. That doesn't seem to work. Moving it back to an internal SATA HD or to an external SATA enclosure with multiple drives works for me. I don't know if it's an issue with speed or some other conflict, but that worked for me. I also tried ripping a DVD directly onto the external USB IDE enclosure but that didn't work either.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I really want to be able to use an external drive for movies so I hope I can solve this.

I did find out that moving the movie back from the external drive to the internal drive makes it playable again. I also tried to rip directly to the external drive. It wouldn't play so I tried it again but with Sage completely shut down and it worked fine. I plan to experiment a bit more this weekend and will post my results.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Don't use Western Digital drives for media

This is probably your problem: Western Digital 1 TB MyBook Drives Infested with DRM?

Supposedly, this is for *your* protection. These drives won't share media over network connections.

I use Maxtor external drives without a problem.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 12-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
This is probably your problem: Western Digital 1 TB MyBook Drives Infested with DRM?

Supposedly, this is for *your* protection. These drives won't share media over network connections.

I use Maxtor external drives without a problem.
I know this is an older topic, but recently I took apart my WD 1 TB MyBook drive. In it is a 1TB sata WD Caviar Green. I put that into my Rosewill eSata 8-bay enclosure and it works fine - no issues with Sage. So in case anyone wanted confirmation that the enclosure is the issue and not the drive, I can confirm that.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Old thread, I know, but all of a sudden, I'm having this same problem. The DVD files are on an external drive, but they haven't been moved and used to work fine. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Ok, so I copied one of the movies that wasn't working from my Seagate external drive to an internal drive, and it works fine now, so the Seagate external drive must have some DRM. But, I'm still curious why this hasn't been an issue until now. FWIW, even a home movie I made from camcorder tapes has this issue.
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 03-24-2014 at 03:36 PM.