SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Trouble tuning digital channels

Ever since upgrading to 6.4 (it actually started at 6.3.10 I think) I have had trouble tuning to HD/digital channels. Here is how it goes down:

1. From the guide, I choose a digital channel and then choose "watch"
2. A black screen is all that appears with the timeline at the bottom, but no picture and the timeline does not move.
3. I press stop twice to get back to the guide.
4. I choose the same channel again and then choose "watch" again.
5. Now the video is fine.

The problem also occurs occasionally with recordings. I will schedule a recording on a digital channel and when I go to watch it later, all I get is the black screen and no video.

I have 4 Hauppauge HVR-1600s and it doesn't seem to matter which one it is trying to tune. Anyone else have this problem and possibly a solution?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

It is happening very consistently. Every single scheduled recording today from a digital channel (QAM from the HVR-1600) did not properly tune the channel, so there was no recording. Surely I'm not the only person suffering this fate. Again, the problem is only with digital channels, and what happens is the first time I try to tune a digital channel, there is no video. I have to stop viewing/recording and select the channel a second time for the video to play/record.

The only way I've solved the problem in the past was to go back to a pre 6.3.10 version. I'd like to not have to do that this time.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Sage Expert

You may want to file a trouble ticket using SageTV® [ Request Support ]

Make sure you are running the default SageTV3 stv Application Package (no addons or replacements)

Other than that, have you:

1. Removed, HCWCLEARed the drivers and reloaded?
2. Does the WinTV application have the same tune issue?
3. Verified with fresh .frq files or sage.properties?
Tested a Fresh install of SageTV:
Shut down SageTV, backup your Sage.properties and wiz.bin, renamed the Program Files/SageTV directory to SageTV_TEMP; then,
Install a fresh copy of SageTV, setup a single tuner and test.

To recover the previous install: shutdown SageTV and either rename or delete the new Program Files/SageTV directory then rename the previous SageTV_TEMP back to SageTV
It may be possible a sage.properties setting or one of the .frq translation files has become misconfigured and is causing issues.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. I'll try what you suggest and report back.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Sage User

What finally fixed my digital tuning issues with my HVR-1800 and 6.4.8 was deleting the QAM_Cache.ENABLE file from the SAGETV folder. I had a perfect install in 6.3.10, but 6.4.8 was giving me fits with digital tuning. After deleting this file I got a complete QAM scan and it found all my clear QAM channels. Turns out the mapping was completely different from 6.3.10. Tech support wasn't aware of these changes and conflicts.

Might want to try this approach first before uninstalling drivers and doing a clean install. I tried both approaches but no go. Only after deleting QAM_Cache.ENABLE and rescanning was I able to get all my channels. Now 6.4.8 is working great.