SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Sage User

SageTV lock-down... BeyondTV demo works though...

Hello,

I have been using Sage for about 1.5 years now. I was in the 6.0 range. I cannot tell right now because it will not run.

About 1.5 weeks ago, the program "hung" in the middle of a TV program. I restarted and it would not go beyond the "loading core" part of the startup.

That was the beginning of my HTPC going Ape-Poo. It seemed to lock almost everything down. Nothing was running correctly.

This is a dedicated, personally built, HTPC.

No viruses, etc. SageTV was the source. I do not know how either.

I spent hours trying to get it to run. Uninstall, fix registry, etc. Nothing changed.

I decided to see if Sage was the issue... I downloaded the trial of BeyondTV, it started right up with no problems. I am using it right now.

I tried to re-install Sage last night and it would not work... again.

I am confused how I got 1.5 years of flawless performance and then all Hell breaks loose ?

I DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT want to format. First off, I have misplaced my XP-PRO disk.... plus it is a pain in the ass to format when BeyondTV is working just fine.

I basically want to know if I am missing something I need to delete to get a rock-solid Sage re-install.

I hate BeyondTV. The picture quality is good but I cannot get used to it. I want Sage back but I am not reformatting !!!

I need help !!!

TIA
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage Icon

Have you tried to enable debug logging and checked the log file for messages when it hangs up?

See this post(http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...076#post149076) for an explanation on how to enable logging...
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you actually uninstall Sage before you reinstalled? The problem could be a bad wizbin, properties file, etc. which wouldn't necessarily get replaced during reinstall.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Sage Icon

Stop the service, make a new folder and move Sage.properties, wiz.bin and wiz.bak to it.

If Sage starts okay then you might move the sage.properties file back and try it again. Remember the service must be stopped to do this. If that doesn't fix it you need to reinstall sage and try the defaults.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Sage User

Sorry for the long response time...

I guess I was enjoying Sage too much

Ok, so I am not exactly sure which method worked but I know that I fixed the problem.

I read all of your great posts and started to work the problem... again.

I decided to uninstall the latest [unworking] Sage install. I did so and did an exhaustive search for any files that could be related. I found duplicate system files, cannot recall the names, that were from previous versions. It seemed that the uninstall and my own eyes missed these files, earlier in my troubleshooting.

I nuked all Sage files, did a clean install and it worked like a charm.

My best guess was that the core / tv lockup was due to Sage bouncing between the multiple system files. I guess it could not figure out which to load, so it got locked in a loop. This would explain the system being pegged out and everything coming to a crawl. It does not, however, make sense when I killed the processes and the problems continued though.

No matter, with everyone's help, I was put into a new thinking direction that led me to a solution.

I am happy. Thanks to all that helped !

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Sage User

Oh, I do, however, have one more small problem.

I zigged when I should have zagged when going through the install wizard.

My remote's functions are the exact opposite of what I need, for channel control.

I have Charter Digital cable with a Motorola box. My Harmony remote was configured just fine, before the lock-down. Now, when I use the UP & Down channel buttons [as well as the numeric buttons], the digital box channels do not change. Instead, the Sage channels change the TV's channel. This is not good because the TV channel must stay on channel 4.

It seems that the Sage settings are backwards.

I need Sage to control my Cable Box, not my TV.

When dealing with USB-UIRT and the Harmony remote... I just get lucky. I usually cannot replicate what worked in the past

Sounds crazy but it is true.

So, I just need a little more help from this great community.

How do I get Sage to control my Cable box correctly ?

Note : I no longer can find any of the "included" remotes that I have. I also have ran through the Sage preferences/settings a lot, to no avail.

TIA !
Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

You need to go through the USBUIRT setup...Assuming you are using the default STV:

1. From Main Menu in Sage, clcik "Setup"
2. From Setup Menu, click "Setup Video Sources"
3. Click on the item for your capture device.
4. From the "Source Details" screen, near the bottom-right there should be an entry for your USBUIRT tuner - click it.
5. You should get a pop-up menu with choices including "Reprogram Infrared Code"

This will let you reprogram the codes for changing channels (it will ask you to aim the remote for your Cable Box at the USBUIRT receiver and press the buttons one at a time so it can learn the codes). Make sure you use the right remote when you do this - don't use your TV remote, use the Cable Box remote.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Sage User

THANKS !!!!

Tiki,

I love you !!!

Went right in there and noticed that during the setup, I failed to select a control option.

I just added a new video source and configured it for the right control.

Now, I have my control back !!!

How can I possibly give back what great help has been given ?