SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage User

Windows Media Player - Album View

I've been ripping my CD collection on Windows Media Player. Something weird is happening for some CD's. When I go to the Library and view by Album, some of the albums are split up, sometimes its 1 or 2 tracks in a separate album by themselves, sometimes every single track is in its own "album".

What I've noticed is that when the "Artist" tag is set to something other than "Various", it seems to split it out into a separate album. If I change the artist on some of the tracks/albums to Various Artists then it will merge them into a single album. But then, I lose the artist, the contributing artist will be set to "Various Artists" for all the tracks in the album then.

This is a little hard to explain. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? And have encountered this also? What was your workaround?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I had this issue as well. The trick is to make sure "Album Artist" as well as "Artist" is set for every CD. If the CD is by various artists, set Album Artist to "Various", otherwise set it the same as "Artist".

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

You need to use both the "Album Artist" and "Artist" tags. (The "Artist" tag is called "Contributing Artist" in the latest versions of WMP. See my screenshot.

S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMP.JPG (141.8 KB, 408 views)
Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Sage User

I started editing the Album Artist and Artist tags in Media Player and that is doing the trick. Its a major pain though !!!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I started editing the Album Artist and Artist tags in Media Player and that is doing the trick. Its a major pain though !!!
The best way that I've found to do this is from Windows. Select all the files from a particular Album, press <alt><enter> or right click and select properties and set them all at once from the details tab. Makes it pretty quick.

Mick.

Edit: There's a more detailed description here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg properties.jpg (36.2 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by mickp; 09-05-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
The best way that I've found to do this is from Windows. Select all the files from a particular Album, press <alt><enter> or right click and select properties and set them all at once from the details tab. Makes it pretty quick.

Mick.

Edit: There's a more detailed description here.
I second this method as being the best way to make sure every "song/file" has the same album artist... It really helps if you have all your albums seperated in different folders