SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Sage Expert

Feature Request: Stop recording after a definable limit of favorites are reached

I have heard this kicked around...it would really save me a lot of recording time with shows that are on all the time.

I could (on a per favorite basis) set SageTV to stop recording after a certain number are reached....ie keep 5 Seinfelds in the bank at all times and only record another if it drops below 5. Right now it keeps 5, but constantly replaces them a bunch of times per day with the latest. Now that we have split new/rerun favorites this would be a great feature.

Is this in the works?

Thanks
Deadbolt
Old 02-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Administrator

My suggestion was to make the manual delete setting work this way -- stop recording new shows once the max # was reached, until you manually delete one.

- Andy
Old 02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Sage Expert

I second (or third) this...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

This would be a killer feature... you always have a few Seinfeld episodes lying around for times when nothing good is on.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM

This is already in 2.0. You can set a max # to record per favorite.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

If you look at how it functions now it keeps the max but currently replaces those thru out the day with the latest recordings if they're available to record. (Please see the first post.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, but I believe it functions as it did in v1.4. It is like a revolving cache of episodes. Set it to a max of 5 and it will continue to record new episodes replacing older recordings (but only keeping 5). It would be nice to have it record XX number of episodes and not record any more until you delete one.

gplasky - you beat me by seconds
Old 02-11-2004, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't wait to get the details on whether things like this are in the Studio-configurable portion or the engine (non-configurable) portion of the app.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachoman
This is already in 2.0. You can set a max # to record per favorite.
Not exactly. You can set the max # and then the following occurs, depending on your settings for deleting the files (the example assumes 5 is the max):

Automatic deletion -- SageTV will keep recording new shows, throwing away the old ones (watched or not), keeping the number of recordings at 5.

Manual deletion -- SageTV will keep recording new shows, keeping all the old ones since you won't allow it to automatically delete these shows, resulting in the number of recorded shows for that favorite forever increasing until you manuall delete some.

We are asking that SageTV stop recording shows if it isn't allowed to delete the older ones due to the manual delete setting.

Give it a try... you'll see what we mean.

- Andy

Edit -- WOW! I was certainly slow... this is the 4th response to that post!

Edit 2 -- And I keep forgetting to TEST this in v2!

Last edited by Opus4; 02-11-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:38 PM

Hmm, that's interesting because I thought I had one of my favorites (Friends) set for manual deletion and max of 3 episodes and it failed to record a new episode one Thursday night. I *assumed* it was because the max # had been reached, but I guess there was something else going on...

Could be some other bug with favorites perhaps -- some of my favorites show nothing in "Additional Airings" even though I can see instances of the show in the LiveTV Guide. I verified that it was not marked as watched, the First-runs/Re-run matches the favorite and it has the "remove as favorite" menu option in the info for that show. I can repro easily using a completely clean install, searching for "Alias," adding it as a Favorite and then looking at "Additional Airings" for that new favorite -- no instances show up.

I'll look more closely at the max # and manual deletion behavior -- I don't recall it ever recording more than the max #, but I guess I just haven't been paying enough attention.

Good to know what the actual behavior is -- I definitely agree that this should be changed.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Unless it has been changed in v2 and none of has noticed... I have a favorite now set to manual delete & will test this tonight. If I have 12 of them tomorrow instead of 10, it hasn't changed yet.

Has anyone else tested this, or are we all simply remembering what v1.4 did?

- Andy
Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Sage Expert

Nope... I just tested it today. At lunch I setup a Favorite for Northwest Cable News with a Keep at Most of 1 and manual delete. When I got home I had 10 episodes waiting for me.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Administrator

I'll confirm what you just said -- the 2 shows were in the scheduled recordings & sure enough: now I've got 12 of them. Since I don't remember if I submitted this request via the bug report, rather than in some threads... I submitted it again.

- Andy