SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Change the tuner merit for HD-100 and clients?

Is it possible to change the tuner merit for HD-100.
I would love if I can dedicate certain tuner only for certain client/hd-100s.
Tried to find a solution on the forum without success.
Thanks .

Last edited by impro; 08-22-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

What situation is making you want to do this? The problem here is that Sage really doesn't know what client a recording will be played back on when doing the recording.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Since HD-DVR doesn't work on my mac and windows placeshifter/clients I need to change the merit so it only has higher priority on HD_100.
I want to have no HD-DVR on any of my computer based client/placeshifter.
Hd-pvr only for HD-100.

Is it just me or HD-PVR Standard Defenition looks better then 1600 S-Video?

Last edited by impro; 08-22-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
SageTVaholic

The merit values for tuners is not on a per-client basis. The merit will just set what tuner would be used before another tuner. Think of it as a server-based merit. The server doesn't care what client told it to record the program.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
The merit values for tuners is not on a per-client basis. The merit will just set what tuner would be used before another tuner. Think of it as a server-based merit. The server doesn't care what client told it to record the program.

Gerry
Is there a workaround?
It is really frustrating to use HD-PVR with the clients.
My wife and my roommates are very unhappy and I look like an Idiot...

Last edited by impro; 08-22-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Options:

Get the real SageTV Windows client on your PC instead of Placeshifter
Wait until Sage updates the transcoder so that HD-PVR files are supported with Placeshifter.
It sounds like you have a 1600-setup one guide for the 1600 with all analog stations. Set up the HD-PVR for just your hi-def recordings. Then you can just choose to watch the analog stations on your Placeshifter clients.
Buy more HD Extenders

That's all I can think of at this point in time.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs down

My wife has a Mac. No pc for her. Client as well as the place shifter do not work. It is a Core2DUO G5 with 7950 Video.
Here is the deal.
My wife watches MOJOHD religiously. Also she watches Some HD programing that comes earlier on the west coast.
She doesn't care about the quality.
She is happy with the SVideo signal.
But I can not setup her client or place shifter to work with 1600 S-Video when the HD-PVR has a higher merit.
Actually she wants me to return the HD_PVR and HD100.
"Everything was fine before you both them" she says.

I have to ether return them or build a second Server machine. Put the 1600 on it and run 2 servers.
Pay more $$$ for hardware.
I know that that would work.

!!!!Please SAGE give me a second Sage TV license free of charge!!!!

It is very annoying that whole issue. I am sick of it.
It seams to me that this is not a hard thing to accomplish programing...
What is the point of merits? The tuners work by themself. Why not being able to select them in clients/hd100 free of merits.
It doesn't make any sense.

P.S. I have no problems with HD-PVR playback on my PC-Server or HD-100.
Occasional lock twice a week.
Very happy with it.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I am just pissed off.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by impro View Post
My wife has a Mac. No pc for her. Client as well as the place shifter do not work. It is a Core2DUO G5 with 7950 Video.
Here is the deal.
My wife watches MOJOHD religiously. Also she watches Some HD programing that comes earlier on the west coast.
She doesn't care about the quality.
She is happy with the SVideo signal.
But I can not setup her client or place shifter to work with 1600 S-Video when the HD-PVR has a higher merit.
Actually she wants me to return the HD_PVR and HD100.
"Everything was fine before you both them" she says.
Here's what I'd try, set your default recording quality to one that's not an "H.264" quality.

Set the HD PVR to the lowest merit in the system.

Setup your favorites that you want recorded on the HD PVR with a non-default recording quality that is an H.264 quality.

This should make "livetv" recordings use your other tuners, and the forced recoding quality on your favorites should force them to use the HD PVR.

Quote:
It is very annoying that whole issue. I am sick of it.
It seams to me that this is not a hard thing to accomplish programing...
It is a hard thing because in Sage, tuners and clients are 100% completely separate things. Clients don't have any idea what tuners area available, what channels they can record, nothing. All the clients know is that the channel exists.

When a client requests to watch a show, it sends the Watch request to the server, the Sage backend then figures out what to record it from using it's built in logic (including tuner merits). There's no correlation between tuners and clients, and adding something would cause more problems that it would solve.

Quote:
What is the point of merits?
The point of merits is so you can tell Sage which tuners you want it to record from first. For example most of us with HD PVRs probably want Sage to use that first as it's the highest quality option we have.

Quote:
The tuners work by themself. Why not being able to select them in clients/hd100 free of merits.
Because clients aren't using tuners, they're watching shows, the backend does the work of making sure that show gets tuned/recorded.

Quote:
Sorry if I sound harsh. I am just pissed off.
It really just seems like you've got your merits setup backwards, you want the HD PVR to be the last tuner used, not the first.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks a lot. And I apologies again for getting a little pissed off.
This scenario indeed will work.
But Will the HD-100 play from HD-PVR only?
Do not think so.

I am already looking into building another server.
That would make everything easier. Exept my electricity BILL.
The HD-100s will play from HD-PVR server.
And everything else from Haupauge 1600 svideo/qam server.

It is very unfortunate that I can play HD from the qam on all my clients and not from the HD-PVR...
Will the HD-PVR encode/record in anything else then H.264?

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Here's what I'd try, set your default recording quality to one that's not an "H.264" quality.

Set the HD PVR to the lowest merit in the system.

Setup your favorites that you want recorded on the HD PVR with a non-default recording quality that is an H.264 quality.

This should make "livetv" recordings use your other tuners, and the forced recoding quality on your favorites should force them to use the HD PVR.

It is a hard thing because in Sage, tuners and clients are 100% completely separate things. Clients don't have any idea what tuners area available, what channels they can record, nothing. All the clients know is that the channel exists.

When a client requests to watch a show, it sends the Watch request to the server, the Sage backend then figures out what to record it from using it's built in logic (including tuner merits). There's no correlation between tuners and clients, and adding something would cause more problems that it would solve.

The point of merits is so you can tell Sage which tuners you want it to record from first. For example most of us with HD PVRs probably want Sage to use that first as it's the highest quality option we have.

Because clients aren't using tuners, they're watching shows, the backend does the work of making sure that show gets tuned/recorded.

It really just seems like you've got your merits setup backwards, you want the HD PVR to be the last tuner used, not the first.

Last edited by impro; 08-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Exept on the HD100 I want it to be first...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I think for now, your best bet is to just go with the HD-PVR as lowest merit. I imagine SageTranscoder will 'eventually' get support for the HD-PVR files, as the decoders it is based on DO support them in the most recent builds. It's just a matter of time before Sage gets them tested out and working.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks
I found a temporary solution.
My HD100 works non stop from the HD-PVR.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

A valid point is missing from my posts due to bad language.
Repeating nicely here.

Buying HD-100 is not always a solution.
I am very happy with it on my LG Plasma in my living room.
I think it is a great peace of equipment.
If I had more money I would buy it for my 3 Bad rooms plus 3 TVs.

But everybody else in my house have nice computers.
Main reason to get hooked on Sage was computer recording and networking.
Buying HD-100 will involve buying a DVI and Audio switch.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

One more thing to add here, is that this isn't really as much the fault of Sage by not supporting the H.264/AVC files of the HD-PVR, but more that the HD-PVR uses features that, while in the standard, are not necessaarily 'STANDARD'. Give it time, and update will come.