SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

View Poll Results: Would you use USB support?
For a Keybaord 45 47.87%
For a media stick or card reader 48 51.06%
For something else I can think of 29 30.85%
Can't see me using the USB ports 11 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Media Extender USB Ports

Hi,

I know from the FAQ that the USB ports are not currently used.

However, I wonder if anyone could offer an indication of what this actually means?

Does it mean?

a) They were designed in at the start but will never be used now.

b) They were designed in and WILL be made usable in the future.

Two great reasons I can think of that would really improve the box are;

1) Keyboard support via wireless USB dongle. I see a few other people have already asked for keyboard support.

2) Reading a USB media stick.

It would just be nice to know if these things were in the pipeline, or if we should just forgot about the USB altogether.

Last edited by moamoa; 08-20-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 AM
SageTVaholic

USB Wireless adapters would be a nice ability...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I could see it being handy to be able to plugin in a usb dvd drive and play dvd's off the drive. Or being able to rip a dvd from the attached drive to the sage server.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

The lack of a CSS decoder would prevent the extender from playing back a DVD. However, just adding USB mass storage capability would at least allow the addition of any number of storage mechanisms (Thumb-drive, card readers, dvd drives, external hd's...)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

I put "for a keyboard" but only if that meant that I could either:
1) access my PC desktop through the extender somehow (likely not possible), or
2) someday in the distant future, surf the web or do e-mail through the extender (both keyboard and mouse supported).

I don't need the keyboard to do anything currently Sage-related (put in a search term, navigate through menus, operate FF/play/RW). I'm Extender-only and I don't even know the keyboard commands! But having the ability to do more "PC-ish" tasks through the extender - which would be like having an HTPC at the TV set but minus the bulk and fan noise - would be great by me.

While the ability to plug in a flash drive with pictures or MP3s or whatever would be fine, I would only use that function once in a blue moon. Still, I guess it would beat having two "dead" ports there.

Here's a thought that just occurred to me: if someone came up with a USB gadget that was a "more sensitive remote control sensor"? That would just allow me to use the current Extender remote control from farther across the room, or at a not-always-aimed-perfectly angle? Yeah, I would like that.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Here's a thought that just occurred to me: if someone came up with a USB gadget that was a "more sensitive remote control sensor"? That would just allow me to use the current Extender remote control from farther across the room, or at a not-always-aimed-perfectly angle? Yeah, I would like that.
Did you not put in for a replacement IR cover? When mine came back from an HDMI issue the new cover was on it and now it works from down the hall.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
Did you not put in for a replacement IR cover? When mine came back from an HDMI issue the new cover was on it and now it works from down the hall.
I got the second batch after the problem was supposedly fixed. But if I sit on my couch (about 10 feet away) and aim up at it (it's on a shelf over the TV) and aim a little too high or low, it often doesn't register the button press.

On the other hand, I can be 20-30 feet away and still have it work, as long as I aim it fairly precisely.

Is it possible that there were still bad faceplates in the second batch of Extenders? I just figured it was still a little finicky.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

If your HD100's faceplate looks like the one in this topic, then you already have the updated front panel w/the partially clear IR cover. (See the picture at the bottom.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I sometimes use mine to charge my ipod. It is the only USB that I have that is always powered up besides my server in the closet.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone from SageTV wish to comment on if they actually do intend to use them?

Seem to be a good few people that would use these for various things.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Sage User

I would like to see an option to use the USB port with one of those alpha/numeric lcd and button combos. Being able to play music without turning on the TV would be nice.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage User

I found a use..

I use them to charge my cell phones..
Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

How about USB support for the USB-UIRT? My preferred remote control must be transmitting at a frequency that the IR receiver on the HD extender does not support.

I would use it to support a wireless keyboard, that's what I voted for.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

Well since my extender is located in my central wiring closet, I personally will probably never have a use for the port. However for most people, I could see it being a great benefit.

Here is what I would like to see
1) Keyboard with internet browser - having some sort of internet browser available combined with a keyboard (preferably some sort of wireless keyboard) plugged into the USB port would make the extender even better IMHO.

2) External storage - ability to have storage directly attached to the extender rather than having to pull files over the network. This should also allow you to directly attach a camera or media drive connection to allow browsing of pictures, etc on TV. It would be even nicer if you could move those files to Sage server over the network.

3) Some external DVD player - probably hard to make work, but it would be very nice to have

Actually out of all those ideas, I like #2 the best.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think it should be used to connect to the HD-PVR. As I keep my server in the basement, it would allow me to connect to the cable box that we use in the TV room as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Personally, I believe the HD100 is just fine the way it is. If I were to want to use the USB ports the only purpose they could serve for me is to hook a wireless keyboard. IMHO, anything else would add too much baggage and complexity. I'm of the philosophy of "keep it simple stupid."

The HD100 serves a good enough purpose as it is. Why overburden it with other stuff?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage Expert

For a spell checker? Sorry too easy.

I vote HID (keyboard, mouse, etc.)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Sage User

I'd like to see the USB ports support some type of IR blaster so that when I power on the extender, it will turn on my TV.