SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Sage Expert

Can't control volume after switching to SPDIF

I just switched from soundcard audio out to SPDIF (the one with the little red light in the port). I changed my detailed setting to point to 'DirectSound: SoundMax Digital Audio' as the audio renderer. I am able to mute the audio just fine, but volume up/down does nothing more than move the slider bar.

I've noticed that if I move the Volume slide bar in windows 'Volume Control' app that The volume does not go up/down. If I move the Wave slider, however, the sound does go up/down.

How can I get Sage to properly adjust the sound?

Thanks always....
Old 07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

That behavior is by design. By choosing SPDIF output you're telling Sage to simply pass through the digital soundtrack unchanged for your receiver to decode. Use the volume controls on your receiver to adjust the decoded audio levels.

If you use AC3Filter, it's possible to set it to decode the audio, adjust the gain, and then re-encode it as SPDIF. But this still won't make the Sage volume slider work, just the AC3Filter gain controls. And it will entail some fidelity loss due to the extra round of D/A and A/D conversion.

Your Wave control should not affect the volume of true AC3 audio content. It may affect the volume of analog stereo audio that's being encoded to AC3 by your PC for SPDIF output.

There is a little freeware applet somewhere (sorry, don't have the link handy) called VolumeTracker that will slave your Wave volume to your Master volume if that's what you really want to do. But that's not how SPDIF is meant to be used.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage Expert

Ah, okay. I will just adjust my remote to use the receiver volume instead of Sage. Thanks for the explanation. Does make sense.