SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

Best method to burn recording to DVD?

Hello!

I'm currently running version 6.3.10 right out of the box. I'm curious as to the best method available using the "stock" version of SageTV to transfer some of my recordings to a DVD. I'm posting this here in the Customizations forum because I don't really see a way to do this inside SageTV (I find this a bit odd but I guess that's the way it is unless I'm missing something. LOL).

I do have Nero Ultra Edition V8 so have the ability to create DVDs but am looking for some advice from the experts on what you have found works well and what you recommend.

Basically what I'm looking to do is put all the episodes of Hell's Kitchen on DVD for my parents to watch (they watched the last couple and now want to see the first part of the season). I am moving from a Toshiba RS-TX20 Tivo setup to SageTV and on the Toshiba unit this was VERY easy... for the recording quality I used I could fit 2 hours of video on a DVD and all I'd have to do is just select recorded programs from the list of saved programs until the space was used up and then push a couple more buttons on the remote and about 15 minutes later I'd have a completed DVD that had menu options allowing me to select which program (could fit 4 30 minute recordings on one disk for example) I'd like to watch. This was nice for giving episodes of shows to my parents for them to watch.

I don't think I'll find anything as easy as the above using SageTV and that's OK. Just curious as to the best way to do this and if the answer is to just use Nero, find the Sage file(s), and burn them to disk then that's cool... I'm just not an expert at this so not sure if there is a better way and a way to do this from within Sage to where I can just put a DVD in the computer and use the remote to select a couple shows and burn them to disk?

I do believe SageMC will do at least most of what I want to do so if the answer is "Just load SageMC and a couple plugins and it works great and does just what you want!" then that might be enough to push me over the edge and try something different but am still curious to how you non SageMC users do this too.

Thanks much for any recommendations!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Sage Icon

I think it would be VideoReDo TV Suite.
Open video(s) in VideoReDo, cut out any unwanted portions and burn to DVD. Pretty simple technique.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
I think it would be VideoReDo TV Suite.
Open video(s) in VideoReDo, cut out any unwanted portions and burn to DVD. Pretty simple technique.
I agree, VideoReDo TV Suite is perfect. It's "ad scan" works great (though I think I could also configure ShowAnalyzer to output files it would recognize, but I haven't tried it) and the whole program is very easy to use.

When I use Nero Vision, my results aren't always that great. The quality just isn't as good, and it's not as fast as VideoReDo.

I'm not sure of the current status of DVD burning with the Video Tools plugin. It's main focus is really transcoding to save space, and I don't think he's fixed the implementation of the burning functions. I could be wrong on that, though.

Tim
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions! However... ugh on spending another $75! LOL! I suppose it would be worth it though if that's what it takes.

Dang, my Toshiba Tivo (with built in DVD recorder) does this so well I didn't realize it was as big of deal to do this WELL like it sounds it must be.

Is there a reason why SageTV doesn't have this built in? It sure seems like this would be a core feature but after doing some searching it seems like it's not something that is missed by many That's just seems odd to me as I'd think it would be more in demand.

Thanks again for the recommendation and I'll check that out!

If somebody currently does this with free programs and good results, I'd be interested in hearing about those too
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage Icon

I use the videotools plugin under SageMC (I know you wanted the default UI, but aslo asked how us SageMC's do this).

That plugin thread is discussed here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28006

It's great. I can queue up multiple videos (both HD and SD), and it will transcode them to DVD format using the best quality available given the amount of recordings I have selected (that is, If I pick two hours of video to stick on the DVD, it will be compressed more than if I pick only 1 hr). It allows me to do the trasncoding on a different machine than the one Sage server is running on too.

It will generate menus for the videos that use all the meta data for the recordings elected, and let me actually burn the DVD on a different system (if I want to) than the one I selected the recordings on.

All very cool. It is the solution to letting my wife burn a bunch of dora episodes and other kids programs to DVD for playback in the car... :-)

You really just just move over to SageMC. You are missing out on too much.
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks very much mikesm! I think that is enough to push me over the edge and give SageMC a shot

Thanks guys!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can be done in Standard STV

I've used Evil Penguin's Burning DVD import for the Standard STV for like a year and a half or so.... and it works with 6.3.6, that's what I have. It's an older version of the Video Tools like version 1.0 or something, but it works...

I use it at least once a week with zero problems.

...and it works just like MikeSM says. ...it does a great job automatically generating menus with thumbnails and metadata.

...and in The Default STV.

Wirenut