SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage User

Question Web Page integration ...

While this question may have been asked previously (I think I saw something to this effect somewhere), I'm not sure it has been asked in this context so here goes (please re-direct me to the correct posting location if I'm out of line here.)

Is there is a way to have a web page integrated into the SageTV interface, similar to using an <iframe> tag, for example? Almost like MCE browser? I don’t want to browse the internet with SageTV, so please read below for why I ask.

Like a lot of other people, I really like the MyMovies application; the way it integrates into MCE, the on-line/off-line capabilities extensive movie data, etc. This was in fact, one of the reasons why I delayed purchasing SageTV but of course, multiple tuner support won out.

I still want to get MyMovies "involved" in SageTV and I have a couple of approaches I'm considering.

1. MyMovies uses a SQL Server Express database to store its data and if need be, I will write an console application, Excel macro, VBS file, or something, to export the MyMovies information into a collection.xml file with same format as DVD Profiler. That is, if number two is not doable – please read on.

2. The MyMovies interface in MCE is essentially web pages that are generated when MyMovies is installed; the web page’s database hooks are encoded .js (JavaScript) files.

In fact, if you open up the base MyMovies web page, located here for my installation, (C:\Program Files\MCE\My Movies\Movies.htm), you will notice that, with a few exceptions, all the navigation and database functionality works as if you were using the interface from within MCE.

Incidentally, when I was trying this out and accessing the interface via IE, my remote worked just fine for navigation. It had trouble with inputting the text via the remote, but all in all, it worked pretty well.

There is an issue when trying to play a DVD (on-line or off-line) but I think this can be coded around (it is looking for the MCE shell).

Sooo, if we can integrate a web page into a SageTV interface, I should be able to recode the JS and/or web pages to allow the correct launching of the DVD.

Is there a plug-in or utility that allows this functionality? Any thoughts or advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your input!!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

or you can just use all the energy to setup a nice Meedio frontend (www.meedios.com) and have it integrate w/ SageTV - like this -

>>CLICK TO PLAY<<

Here is MovieNight showing the Movie setup

>>CLICK TO PLAY<<
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinJed View Post
Is there is a way to have a web page integrated into the SageTV interface, similar to using an <iframe> tag, for example? Almost like MCE browser?
So, did you ever find out a way to do that?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Sage User

Where I'm at with this ...

Here's what I did for those of you interested.

Since I am using Vista Home Premium and therefore have Media Center, it makes this much easier. I believe this method would work for XP’s version of Media Center as well.

I am working on a similar method utilizing IIS (the web server) for those that don’t have Media Center and I’ll post that once it’s complete; some changes would need to be made to the MyMovies registry for this to work since the ehshell would have to be bypassed and therefore default DVD player software chosen.

Additionally, I use a Harmony remote and a generic media center IR receiver (which in my opinion is the best way to go); I will post my remote setup in that section of the forums and add a link from here once that’s done.

1. Use My Movies like you normally would, no changes need to be made.
2. I use the Center Stage version for SageMC as my interface (great interface by the way).
3. I created a graphic to represent My Movies for the interface (see below) and added a command to the sagemc_menu.xml to sleep Sage and launch My Movies within the MCE interface (the code is below).

<actionMenuItem
title="DVDs"
icon="hover_my_movies_mce.png">
<actionList>
<sageCommand command="Disable Full Screen"/>
<sageCommand command="Power Off"/>
<extCommand
window="normal"
command="C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe"
arguments="/url:&quot;C:\Program Files\MCE\My Movies\Movies.htm&quot;"
waitforexit="1"/>
<sageCommand command="Power On"/>
<sageCommand command="Restore Full Screen"/>
</actionList>
</actionMenuItem>

That’s it really. When the DVD selection is made in Sage, the Sage interface sleeps and Media Center opens directly into the MyMovies interface. I have mapped a key on my remote to exit an application and when I exit the MyMovies interface (Media Center), it closes and Sage launches back up.

I hope this helps.