SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Moving Sage due to complete Upgrade

I think I have an idea of how to accomplish what I want, but thought I'd get some feedback or listen to any "sage" advice to make sure I am on the right path...

Ok, having said that, here is what's going on. I am in the process of updating my old p4 2GHz Shuttle HTPC to a microATX CoreDuo. I've had my SageTV since '03 running from ver 2.x until present! It passes the wife test supremly. In the process of building new PC, I am updating all components... including my aging Hauppage PVR150. I moved to a 57" DLP about a yr ago and the PVR150 SD res is just not cutting it at all - so I got a newer Haup HD1600. I am running Sage 6.4.4 beta just fine on the Shuttle. I use the small shuttle remote just to control SageTv.

I am going to try both clear QAM or ATSC (TWC in Coppell, TX) on the new rig. I have the cable split - one leg to the digital STB , 1 over to the PVR150 card. I change inputs on the TV to get from digital HD cable to the Sage pc in my cabinet.

So here's my plan of attack:

1) Get new system built up and WinXP up and running with HDMi out via my Radeon 2400XT to my 57" TV. Install Haup HD1600 card.
2) Install Sage 6.4.4. - but do NOT launch it!!!
3) rip out older HTPC harddrive and copy over 200GB of current TV shows (mainly kid shows & modern marvels) back into default "Videos" dir on new harddrive. Copy over "wiz.bin". remove old hard drive - just temporarily.
4) restart Sage, see if after setup of new card old TV shows are still there - i've done this before so I think this should work ok.
5) Once everything is OK - I am going to re-format old PATA 300GB hard drive and re-install as a slave on the DVD drive IDE port.

here's where things get a little iffy....
6) I want to setup a directory mapped in Sage to the now slaved 300GB hard drive - "d" drive.
7) move all tht original SD content and stored video/pics/music back to this slave drive. I just want to use the new SATA drive for HD and new programming. Hopefully Sage can resolve all the "metadata" using one of the moving harddrive guides.

finally if all goes well, I might consider the following actions...

1) put the old PVR 150 in the new pc and use it as a 3rd tuner. The HD1600 should have both the analog & digital turners, so 3rd prolly won't be need but...
2) Somehow train Sage to record some shows on the clearQAM side and others on the Analogue side of the new HD1600 and set older PVR150 just for analogue.
3) I have read a post awhile back about the original Haup remote not playing nice when a dual tuner card was added - specifically this HD1600. We shall see...
4) The last hurdle will be to get all my Favorites copied back into the new setup on new PC. Hopefully those are contained in "wiz.bin" and I wont have to spend time re-typing all 40 of them!

Well, that's my plan of upgrading the old HTPC system. Copying all those GBs of data back and forth will make for a looooong weekend, but worth it IMHO in the long run.

Any advice or help in avoinding potential pitfalls, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cab
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

I just skimmed through your question, but you might look at the FAQs and see if there is anything there that might be of help.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...4903#post44903
Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Sage Expert

Matt91's link will give you the right proceedure for copying everything over to the new machine. Did it with mine and it worked well.

That said, why copy everything back and forth? If you're going to use the drive for the content that's already on it why not just leave it there?

Install Sage on the new drive (A 15 or 20 GB partition would be best with the rest formatted for 64k sectors as a different drive letter for sage). Install the old drive into the machine. Follow the FAQ to set up the recording directories and have Sage find the old recordings.

As an asside there's really no way to force Sage to do SD to one location and HD to another. It will just record to whichever has more space.

Might consider moving all the recordings to the new Sage partition (as discussed above) on the SATA drive (assuming it's bigger). Then add the 300GB drive and use it for just pictures/music/video (non Sage) and DVD rips if you do that. If they're already on this drive they don't need moved, once you add the paths Sage will find them.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

DC

My only logic for the swap back and forth of the data being, the 300GB PATA currently has other junk on the drive (WinXP). Maybe just a delete & defrag will reclaim all those free sectors without the need for a reformat, just leaving the video directory intact.

Do you think if I just create the path in the new Sage install, it will carry over the metadata of the shows?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan View Post
DC

My only logic for the swap back and forth of the data being, the 300GB PATA currently has other junk on the drive (WinXP). Maybe just a delete & defrag will reclaim all those free sectors without the need for a reformat, just leaving the video directory intact.
Should, though if you are going to use it as a Sage recording drive reformatting with 64k sectors is a good idea. If not then it should be OK.

Quote:
Do you think if I just create the path in the new Sage install, it will carry over the metadata of the shows?

Thanks
Look at the FAQ link, if you do as they suggest (changing the property file, starting sage, verifying data, and reseting) it should be just like you never touched a thing. I just did this where I added a new 750GB HDD and moved everything to a new MB. I moved all the recordings I had on an old 180 GB drive to the new 750, plus I have stuff on a 500GB external recording drive that was moved to the new system. After following the FAQ proceedure all the recordings were right there, data and all.

And yes Favorites will come over in the Wiz.bin file. The only cumbersome thing to re-set up is the detailed settings and your channel listings.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.