SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV service won't start

I rebooted the computer running the STV server, and now the service won't start. This is the second time this has happened. Last time I fixed it by reinstalling SageTV. This time, I can't because I can't kill the process, and the service is stuck at the starting phase. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Have you edited your sage.properties file? - I've had this problem if I've made a typo!

If Sage is running as a service you may be able to disable it then reboot. Restoring a backup of the wiz.bin and sage.properties files may fix it.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had tried all that already. The only way I was able to disable the service, was to boot into safe mode, run msconfig, and uncheck it from the services tab. Then, reboot again, run services.msc, and start the service manually. It works fine again now, but it's a pain when this happens. I've only had my SageTV for a week now, and it's already happened twice.

I'm using a default .properties file.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've had this problem (or symptom at least) on for a long while. I'm not sure what the cause is but it seems like Sage has a dependency on another service and the Sage Service isn't configured to wait for this other service to load before starting.

I leave my sage service set to manual startup and use the following batch file to launch Sage (from the startup group).

Code:
@echo off
cls
sleep 30
net start sagetv
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe"
NB: I think I had to download a sleep.exe from the net.

If anyone knows what the specific dependency is I'd love to know so that I can go back to having the sage service start in the traditional fashion.

Mick.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well it doesn't have any dependencies, cause I already checked that as well. I think from now on I'll just use a script to launch it automatically on logon.

Instead of using a third-party utility to provide a 30 second pause, you can use ping instead:

Code:
@echo off
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1 > nul
sc start sagetv
"%programfiles%\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe"
Just a tip. Thats the script I'm using. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by tonysathre; 06-20-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Sage User

I had this happen the other day after a reboot. I am running windows Vista Ultimate. I went to the sageTV directory and right clicked on the sage service executeable (sagetvservice.exe) and chose to "Run as Administrator" When I did that I received a pop-up stating that my license was expired. I re-entered the license code and it worked after that.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to the 6.4.4 beta. Sage would no longer start as a service. I was missing recordings and the extender didn't always work.

I ran services.msc and found that the sagetvservice was set to manual. I changed to it automatic and all seems well.