SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Sage Icon

Use the following line as a filter to see only the blocks to and from a Hauppauge device:
eth.addr contains 00:0d:fe

I found an old capture from a friend of mine that also has a wireless MVP using it in wired mode. It does have IP blocks , but the IP blocks originate from the server not the MVP. I am becoming more convinced that the turn around time is what is causing the problem. Blocks 66 and 68, appear to be a retransmission of the same block, which I believe is causing the problem.

Is it possible that your bridge has connected at a slower speed than you expected? What speed are you expecting from the bridge?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage User

I have a wireless MVP in wired mode. It shows up detecting the wired ethernet connection correctly when starting up (and you go to the config screen). I assume the bridge is fast enough for this to work.. but either way, it doesn't work on the bridge that it used to anymore
Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Sage Expert

Powerline Ethernet Bridges have a lot of issues to overcome.

1. Powerline requires use of AC wiring to transmit signals.
2. AC wiring it inherently 'noisy'. The more noise the slower the speed.
3. AC power enters a house as 2 separate AC legs (phases) with some plugs on the 'A' side and others on the 'B' side. Powerline signals can't easily cross this divide.

Just moving the powerline modules to other AC plugs can introduce new issues. If your powerline module is near a dimmer switch or a refridgerator then the connection is going to suffer. That's why I asked if you had swapped the MVP and HD100 boxes, or swapped the powerline modules to see if one model was better than the other in resolving your issue.

You could also try unplugging and swapping the ends, the server side goes to the MVP side.

The best test to eliminate the powerline modules as the culprit would be to temporarily hardwire your MVP and see if it boots.
Quote:
As for the suggestions above: I have tried using this bridge on the HD100 and it boots fine. I've also used it on a computer to access the internet and it worked fine. I've also used a different (also verified working) bridge on the MVP with the same results. That bridge worked with this MVP earlier on. I'm pretty sure that the current bridge isn't the issue.
I'm confused by this paragraph. OK, the old powerline modules worked with the HD100. But did the new powerline modules work with the MVP? Or in the place you want the MVP?

As I said above, certain AC plug locations can be an issue. Will the MVP boot with the powerline modules anywhere else in the house, except in the location were you want the MVP?

Last edited by Conejo; 07-07-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Powerline Ethernet Bridges have a lot of issues to overcome.

1. Powerline requires use of AC wiring to transmit signals.
2. AC wiring it inherently 'noisy'. The more noise the slower the speed.
3. AC power enters a house as 2 separate AC legs (phases) with some plugs on the 'A' side and others on the 'B' side. Powerline signals can't easily cross this divide.

Just moving the powerline modules to other AC plugs can introduce new issues. If your powerline module is near a dimmer switch or a refridgerator then the connection is going to suffer. That's why I asked if you had swapped the MVP and HD100 boxes, or swapped the powerline modules to see if one model was better than the other in resolving your issue.

You could also try unplugging and swapping the ends, the server side goes to the MVP side.

The best test to eliminate the powerline modules as the culprit would be to temporarily hardwire your MVP and see if it boots.

I'm confused by this paragraph. OK, the old powerline modules worked with the HD100. But did the new powerline modules work with the MVP? Or in the place you want the MVP?

As I said above, certain AC plug locations can be an issue. Will the MVP boot with the powerline modules anywhere else in the house, except in the location were you want the MVP?
I appreciate the effort on your part in going through the info on powerline networking.. but where did you get the idea that I'm using a powerline connection or any AC-based networks? I'm using a wireless ethernet bridge, which I've said from the start.. something like this one -

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

No powerline networking is involved. I have to use the bridge because the wireless antennae that comes with the wireless MVP is worthless.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage Expert

Sorry, for some reason I translated 'wireless bridge' into powerline bridge. When residential users have cable access issues there aren't a lot of alternatives, and fewer that work with any consistency.

Have you updated the firmware of your Wireless Router and Wireless Bridge lately? Changed the encryption code or method?

Here's a test you can actually accomplish:
Temporarily turn off encryption and try connecting via the MVP > Wireless Bridge > no encryption > Wireless Router.

We can also see if Carlgar has come up with anything new.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

What are the make/models of your:
1. Wireless Router
2. old Wireless Bridge for the MVP
3. new Wireless Bridge for the HD100

and have we verified that the MVP will currently boot and access SageTV using some type of connection?

have you tried powering-down the 'new' Wireless Bridge, power cycle the Wireless Router, the old Wireless Bridge and then the MVP?

I admit, this is strange and frustrating... if you can wire a PC via ethernet to the old Wireless Bridge and have it fetch a IP address via DHCP, access the web and view a youtube video (or some other UDP transport stream) then a verified working MVP should also work on the same connection.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
What are the make/models of your:
1. Wireless Router
2. old Wireless Bridge for the MVP
3. new Wireless Bridge for the HD100
1. Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT
2. Belkin F5D7330 (does not work w/ MVP, works with HD100 and computers)
3. Linksys WGA54AG (used to work w/ MVP but now doesnt. works with HD100 and computers)

One other unmentioned network element - wireless repeater (range extender - d-link DWL-G710). However, just to not further confuse the issue, I have kept this unplugged while troubleshooting the MVP. This was also on the network when the MVP used to work with the other bridge.

Quote:
and have we verified that the MVP will currently boot and access SageTV using some type of connection?
I tried it out today and hardwired line boots without issue (connected to router that is also hardwired to server).

Quote:
have you tried powering-down the 'new' Wireless Bridge, power cycle the Wireless Router, the old Wireless Bridge and then the MVP?
Yes - no dice. I've also kept the MVP powered off long enough that it forgets its settings.

Quote:
I admit, this is strange and frustrating... if you can wire a PC via ethernet to the old Wireless Bridge and have it fetch a IP address via DHCP, access the web and view a youtube video (or some other UDP transport stream) then a verified working MVP should also work on the same connection.
I was hoping/thinking the same thing, especially after trying it out on the hardwired connection today. Hooked it back up and.. same problem. Let me know if you have any ideas..
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinvt View Post
I tried it out today and hardwired line boots without issue (connected to router that is also hardwired to server).
Did you get a wireshark capture to compare with to see what is different?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Sage Expert

Googling 'dd-wrt MVP' comes up with some interesting links.

It's possible that it could be a 'setting' on the dd-wrt, or one of the bridges... like QOS. It could also be a firmware flaw.

From the tests you did, it looks like some issue with the bridge setup, more specifically a setting or firmware issue.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/sho...t=15236&page=3
A user on this link discovered that having 'secure easy setup' enabled prevented the MVP from connecting.

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1913
"I have a WRT54G v 2.1 that I use as a wireless bridge for my MediaMVP"

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=30985
"Resolution: I needed to disable QoS and Wireless Multimedia Support in DD-WRT. Once I did that I restarted the Linksys and also restarted the MVP and was able to connect via a wireless connection."

When all else fails, search google. -conejo
Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Googling 'dd-wrt MVP' comes up with some interesting links.

It's possible that it could be a 'setting' on the dd-wrt, or one of the bridges... like QOS. It could also be a firmware flaw.

From the tests you did, it looks like some issue with the bridge setup, more specifically a setting or firmware issue.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/sho...t=15236&page=3
A user on this link discovered that having 'secure easy setup' enabled prevented the MVP from connecting.
I don't have secure easy setup, as DD-WRT replaces that aspect of the linksys firmware.

Quote:
http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1913
"I have a WRT54G v 2.1 that I use as a wireless bridge for my MediaMVP"
I don't have MAC filtering enabled.

Quote:
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=30985
"Resolution: I needed to disable QoS and Wireless Multimedia Support in DD-WRT. Once I did that I restarted the Linksys and also restarted the MVP and was able to connect via a wireless connection."

When all else fails, search google. -conejo
I double checked and both of these settings are disabled. Thoughts>?