SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

New Component Capture Device: $120

Anyone tried this component capture device? I just came across it, and for $119, is this too good to be true?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...videorecorder/
Old 06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Don't get too excited:

SD Format Support 625/25 PAL and 525/29.97 NTSC.

This is SD.. not HD. It only captures SD-resolution component video signals, not HD (as far as I can tell from the tech specs).

-Dan
Old 06-14-2008, 08:14 PM
SageTVaholic

figures
Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Sage Expert

No audio that I could see.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I sent an email to black magic to get an official word on the supported capture mode...

Reply:
Quote:
The Video Recorder will only do SD so 480i.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

What good does that do us?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I sent an email to black magic to get an official word on the supported capture mode...

Reply:
I don't see Blackmagic creating a cheaper product that competes directly with an already created product that is much more expensive ($350)

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...=capture+1080i
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't see Blackmagic creating a cheaper product that competes directly with an already created product that is much more expensive ($350)
I agree... but i could see them creating a product that competes with the HD-PVR.... and using a usb connection is much cheaper than building an entire internal card. That being said, i got the impression that black-magic was aiming more to the high-end video editing market, and not really the simple video capture market. But their new SD usb capture device is aimed at the low end video capture market... who knows... maybe they will build a mid level product to compete with the hd-pvr market.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I agree... but i could see them creating a product that competes with the HD-PVR.... and using a usb connection is much cheaper than building an entire internal card. That being said, i got the impression that black-magic was aiming more to the high-end video editing market, and not really the simple video capture market. But their new SD usb capture device is aimed at the low end video capture market... who knows... maybe they will build a mid level product to compete with the hd-pvr market.
They're separate markets, Blackmagic makes devices for the video production community, be it professional, prosumer, or consumer. Hauppauge makes devices for the video enjoyment (for lack of a better term) community, ie recording TV, which is inherently a consumer market.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
They're separate markets, Blackmagic makes devices for the video production community, be it professional, prosumer, or consumer. Hauppauge makes devices for the video enjoyment (for lack of a better term) community, ie recording TV, which is inherently a consumer market.
I agree... so it's odd that they would put out a $120 consumer device, since a 480i unit is pretty much useless in video post production... and arguably it's useless in the consumer market as well
Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I agree... so it's odd that they would put out a $120 consumer device, since a 480i unit is pretty much useless in video post production... and arguably it's useless in the consumer market as well
I respectfully disagree. It's useless for videophiles. Joe six-pack don't care and will always use it until it breaks and he is forced to upgrade.

I use consumer gear at my college in addition to my broadcast gear.

Converting 480i classes recorded onto DVD-RW discs into wmv files does not require a $12000 canopus or pinnacle video editing system. I just use a $100 PCI capture card, a consumer level DVD player ($45) and $35 Mpeg to wmv conversion software on my desktop machine.
Heck, to go to ipod format/size videos only requires free handbrake software.

So for certain markets and people who don't want to change, the board is viable.