SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD-PVR - Where are all the settings?

Good afternoon,

I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything as far as how to fully set video quality settings on the HD-PVR. To my knowledge, with SageTV, there are only two places where I adjust the settings:

- SageTV Recording quality - (set to max of 5.9GB/hr)
- Cable box output settings (set to pass-thru 480i thru 1080i)

The color looks great, but I still see a decent amount of artifacts when close up, and no visible artifacts from the seating area. I'm guessing a lot of my video quality is really due to Comcast compressing the #@@! out of the signal. slow motion shots look awesome, where fast motion starts to pixilate or becomes a tad blurry (panning left and right watching baseball). Again, I'm pretty sure most of this is in the source video - but I have no easy way to hook up my HD-PVR to an HDTV to compare with the comoponent passthru.

I'm just curious if there's anything more Hauppauge-config related that I might be missing to tweak the quality just a hair further.

All-in-all, I'm extremely happy with my HD-PVR, and regarding the heat issue, mine doesn't seem to experience the problem with freezing, even though the bottom of the case is hot-to-touch.
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I wanted to add a comment to this. Instead of moving my cable box back tot he HDTV to check for the signal quality, I just went to my neighbor's and looked at their HDTV up close on the same channel. The artifacts are *certainly* coming from the crappy Comcast source. Surprise, surprise. I guess HD really isn't HD after all, when the signal is provided to you by Comcast . I've been spoiled by OTA HD for the past year and a half.. lol

Still, I'm curious to know if the settings some people have reported in the Arcsoft software have effects on the HD-PVR *outside* of the ArcSoft application.

And, one other questions, by setting the recording quality in SageTV to 5.9GB/hr, does that mean that it will always record at that quality level, or is that the max it will use, based on the source input resolution?
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored