SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Sage User

Getting a new .frq file recognized

I am trying to get a new .frq file to take effect in SageTV. I have edited the original file to change the channel order and add some channels that were found in one scan but not another (I guess the channels were not broadcasting all the time).

I have stopped the server, replaced the .frq file with the edited one, making sure the filename is the same, and restarted the server - but my problem is that the channel guide only shows the original scanned channel setup, not the edited one.

I can see that somehow the lineup is created or referred to in the properties file, but I can't figure out how to get it to take the edited lineup. I don't want to edit it using the Sage UI as I want to be able to use the .frq file for other installations of the server.

Can someone tell me how I can use the .frq file manually? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I see lots of posts recommending that we just use another .frq file, so I assume it can be done.

Thanks for any help...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Try disabling all the channels and then renabling them all, restart Sage/service once done. This should refresh the epg.

If you use the webguide you can use force epg refresh or something like that I think.

And yes you can edit your .frq file but I'm not sure how to do it with over air epg only with xmltv guide data.

Last edited by jaminben; 06-06-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Sage User

Thanks, I gave that a go, but no change. Maybe that's my problem - I'm just using the over the air epg.

Any other ideas how to force the use of an edited .frq file when using the over the air egp?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

I've ran into this problem in the past. I thought I could just copy a new frq file into the sage folder and off I'd go, but unfortunately it didn't like it.

Its a shame as I'd like to be able to do a scan on my test machine and just copy the new frq file onto the my live one when I've got everything worked out.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Sage User

I noticed some settings i the .properties file that probably have an effect on this, but can't find any details, so I have asked support for advice.

These are the entires:
epg/custom_station_id_counter
epg/lineup_overrides
epg/lineup_physical_overrides
epg_data_sources/4686/unavailable_stations

I will play around and post here if I get it sorted out.

My real problem is not a convenience issue - I just can't get a full lineup of channels as they are never all broadcasting at once (so some don't get picked up by the scan) and the channel list is only taken from the latest scan.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvid View Post
My real problem is not a convenience issue - I just can't get a full lineup of channels as they are never all broadcasting at once (so some don't get picked up by the scan) and the channel list is only taken from the latest scan.
You need to scan in the morning and make a copy of that scan. Then scan in the evening and make a copy of that scan. Edit/copy both files to create a master file which contains all the channels from the morning scan and evening scan. Re-number any duplicate channel id's, and place the master scan .frq into the sage directory overwriting the old .frq.

Take a look in the UK thread, lots of info there.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Sage User

That's exactly what I've done - I've got a great .frq file

But...it doesn't get loaded by the server. I stop the server, overwrite the original, restart..and no difference.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

When you add the frq I assume you have shut Sage down completly?
You can try removing the card from Sage, restart Sage and add the card again. When it asks you do you want to run a scan click no.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Sage User

Yes, I've done that. I've tried loads of combinations of things. this is the latest:

1. Shut down the server completely (it's running as a service), close the client, delete the sage.properties and wiz.bin. So I have a clean unconfigured system.

2. Start the server and run the config, choosing the tuner card, but not do a scan.

3. Stop the server, copy in the edited .frq file, making sure it's got the same file name as before, restart the server.

I then have a config that shows the tuner as a source, but has no channels. - So it hasn't done anything with the new .frq file, it's basically ignored it.

4. So then, I do a channel scan and get a lineup created with most of the channels I want, but I make no manual modifications using the UI.

5. Then I stop the server, close the client and once again copy in the edited .frq file. Restart server.

I than have the same lineup of channels that I had after step 3 above - it has still ignored the edited .frq file.

Somehow, I need to be able to force the server to read my .frq file and update the lineup accordingly....doens't seem to be possible for me.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Seems like yours is messed up good and proper. I'd be tempted to format my system, reinstall windows and start all over again but thats an extreme solution and may not even work. Try sending Sage a support request. Other than that I'm all out of ideas.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Sage User

Yes, I forgot to mention that...

I did a completely clean re-install of Windows 2003 - this is a fresh system, the first and only app installed is SageTV.

I sent a support request to Sage yesterday, so hopefully they can shed some light.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvid View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention that...

I did a completely clean re-install of Windows 2003 - this is a fresh system, the first and only app installed is SageTV.

I sent a support request to Sage yesterday, so hopefully they can shed some light.

Thanks.
I don't think your system is the problem - I think this is just the way Sage bahaves.

I tried to do the same thing in the Linux version (i.e. a"custom" .frq file) and it seems like it's ignored. I finally gave up, assuming that the scan is updating something in the Sage Wiz.bin and that the .frq file is not consulted after the initial scan.

--John
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Sage Icon

1. Start the server and add the tuner card, do a scan.

2. Remove the tuner source

3. Stop the server, edit the .frq file as desired, making sure it's got the same file name as before

4. Edit sage.properties
For encoder ie: mmc/encoders/1681743986/video_capture_device_name=Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog Capture
Find the provider_id for the tuner ie: mmc/encoders/1681743986/3/0/provider_id=4

Find the epg data source ie: epg_data_sources/2622319/provider_id=4

Remove channels from related lines so they look like these
epg_data_sources/2622319/unavailable_channel_nums=
epg_data_sources/2622319/unavailable_stations=
epg/lineup_physical_overrides/4=
epg/lineup_overrides/4=
epg/channel_lineups/4=

5. Restart the server.

6. Add tuner source, don't do scan.

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 10-28-2008 at 12:20 AM.