SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy Relatively Smooth Sailing. Til now...

First let me caveat this post with a firm apology in advance. Frustrations are mounting tonight and it may look like I am taking it out on the Frey guys. Such is not my intent..

ARRRGGGGGGGG...........

Spent the last three hours trying to get my system, the PVR350 and PVR 250 to play nice. The whole problems seem to be centered around the PVR TV OUT.

But I am beginning to work on the idea to make that moot. Namely to have the main server with all the cards and such, plus alll the STBs in a remote location and simply using one machine as SageClient hooked to the TV and using it's Video Card for output.

So, with this in mind, what Video Card should I be looking at? I want a card that can do 1080i to my JVC HDTV. I have a DVI-D connection on my TV, but I am thinking all the Video Cards have DVD-I/A connections. Is converting a possibility? If so, would it give me comparable quality to the TV OUT on the PVR?? Component?

Any advice would be most appreciated?

M2S
Old 01-31-2004, 09:01 PM
SageTVaholic

No need to appologize, I think we all know how frustrating things can get sometimes (Great hobby isn't it). Too bad you got bitten by the 250/350 bug. Don't worry this is the right place to come, although perusing the AVSForum's HTPC area might be helpfull as well.

DVI:
You're right, most cards have DVI-I, all that means is that they can do both DVI-D and DVI-A, no need to convert just get a Dual Link DVI-D cable and you should be good to go.
Video Card:
The two I would look at are the Geforce FX 5700 and the Radeon 9600. Both should give you great PQ, especially over DVI. The newest GFFX drivers are supposed to have built in support for HD resolutions so you may be able to just plug it into the TV and go. The Radeon will probably require powerstrip to get 1080i. DVI should give you better PQ than the TV out. Most of the people recommending the 350 for TV out are using analog SDTVs.

I know I've said this before (you're all probably tired of hearing it) I'm using a Radeon 9500 via VGA to my 36" 4:3 RCA HDTV @ 1280x1024i (think 1080 with black borders so it fits the TV). I'm using Sonic Cineplayer decoders and the PQ is great. You might want to look harder at the FX since I've heard great things about the upcomming Forceware Multimedia DVD (nVDVD 3) on Geforce FX's, I'll probably get a copy when it comes out and give it a shot.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
No need to appologize, I think we all know how frustrating things can get sometimes (Great hobby isn't it). Too bad you got bitten by the 250/350 bug. Don't worry this is the right place to come, although perusing the AVSForum's HTPC area might be helpfull as well.

DVI:
You're right, most cards have DVI-I, all that means is that they can do both DVI-D and DVI-A, no need to convert just get a Dual Link DVI-D cable and you should be good to go.
Video Card:
The two I would look at are the Geforce FX 5700 and the Radeon 9600. Both should give you great PQ, especially over DVI. The newest GFFX drivers are supposed to have built in support for HD resolutions so you may be able to just plug it into the TV and go. The Radeon will probably require powerstrip to get 1080i. DVI should give you better PQ than the TV out. Most of the people recommending the 350 for TV out are using analog SDTVs.

I know I've said this before (you're all probably tired of hearing it) I'm using a Radeon 9500 via VGA to my 36" 4:3 RCA HDTV @ 1280x1024i (think 1080 with black borders so it fits the TV). I'm using Sonic Cineplayer decoders and the PQ is great. You might want to look harder at the FX since I've heard great things about the upcomming Forceware Multimedia DVD (nVDVD 3) on Geforce FX's, I'll probably get a copy when it comes out and give it a shot.
Here's another thought that occured to me.

I can upgrade my Game Machine card to TNBT and then use the card in there (Radeon Pro 9700 with DVI-I/A connector) on the Sage.

Question though... Can you elaborate on that DVI cable you mentioned...

Thanx again..
Old 02-01-2004, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Just a standard DVD-D cable, they come in single link and dual link varieties, dual link work at higher resolutions.

TNBT??
Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Just a standard DVD-D cable, they come in single link and dual link varieties, dual link work at higher resolutions.

TNBT??

TNBT= The Next Big Thing
Old 02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

TNBT??
Actually, I need some sort of Adapter Cable. My TV is DVI-D. Video Cards are DVI-I/A. One won't fit the other, near as I can tell.

M2S