SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
HDPVR No Workie, Help!!!

OK, I got my HDPVR today, and hooked it all up. I was having issues right off the bat, so I rebooted a few times, after installing the drivers etc.. That didn't work , so I ran the HWClear.exe on the Hauppauge CD which came with the HDPVR. I reinstalled the drivers and rebooted a few times, and still am having problems.
Here's whats happening.
When I start SageTV, both on the Client and on the HD Extender, I select a program in the guide. The HDPVR is supposed to tune the selected channel, but I get a "No Signal". Looking at the HDPVR I see only the blue light.

Now here's where it gets interesting.
If I unplug the power to the HDPVR, and plug it back in, the blue light comes on and an orange light comes on for about a second, then goes away. Next if I select to watch TV again, either on the PC or the HD Extender, the red recording light comes on, and the video starts showing through the HDPVR, for about 2-5 seconds, then it freezes.
This is as far as I can get, and as you can imagine, I am about to cry. All this wait and I appear to be the only one having issues.

Last edited by mikejaner; 06-02-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
If I unplug the power to the HDPVR, and plug it back in, the blue light comes on and an orange light comes on for about a second, then goes away. Next if I select to watch TV again, either on the PC or the HD Extender, the red recording light comes on, and the video starts showing through the HDPVR, for about 2-5 seconds, then it freezes.
My laptop is doing the same thing (plays for 1-3 seconds then freezes), however.... my STX-HD100 works flawlessly. I'd say it's safe to say it's likely not your HD-PVR itself, or the server setup. It's client playback. I haven't had a chance to play around with my laptop yet to get through this, but again, I don't think it's the HD-PVR.
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Sage Icon

I just moved my HDPVR to a laptop in the house, which does not have SageTV on it. I installed the drivers etc... same proceedure, and tested with ArcSoft, and ..... same thing, three seconds and freeze video. Different hardware, different OS "Vista" and Different software Arcsoft, with the same results. I am starting to believe, my box, is defective.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Still not sure.. heh.. I have the same issue still with my laptop using the PowerDVD 7.3 decoders, but I've been watching awesome HD video through my HD extender all night. I'm not sure what to do with my Sage client yet..
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Sage Expert

Seeing similar things.

When watching on server a channel tuned by hd pvr or via placeshifter, video freezes (however, the server is still working.)

Recordings are still being made and can watch recorded items etc on Extender.

Sage needs to provide a way to get out of the crashed video display without quiting the server.

Also, I'd just asked this question in the placeshifter forum. What codecs or whatever, need to be installed on client/server/placeshifter boxes (PCs, not extenders) to play back this video and to let you watch live/time shifter TV on those client platforms with hd pvr as source.

Thanks
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Sage Icon

I am also getting the "No Signal" but that's as far as I get. Not even the few seconds of video.

If I stop the Sage service and try to record with the Arcsoft app I get a "Capture Failed" error.

I am getting video thru the passthru to my TV.

I am so frustrated that I want to scream
Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

For those of you getting the freeze, are you able to watch on an HD100 extender? It should be able to view playback without any problems.

I'm wondering if you're seeings a codec issue as opposed to an HD-PVR issue.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Sage Icon

Nope.
Same thing with the extender for me. The problem is definately with the capture device, because the red recording light comes on for a few seconds, then goes off, at the same time as the freeze. As far as I can tell, the red light would not go off if the codec had an issue. Especially if I was recording with SageTV.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

You may want to double-check and make sure it is actually a USB 2.0 port you are plugging into and use the port on the computer and not a hub.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Sage Icon

Not enuff peeps have the unit for me to tell if this is a wild spread problem..............but I'm getting nervous

Now happy I'm in the mid-June ship out date group.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 AM

I'm having the same issues as sleonard. With Sage or TMT I see the red light go on indicating recording, but I see No Signal or a Capture Failed error everytime. I've tried wiping the drivers and starting again, but to no avail. I called tech support, but I'm at work and they didnt give me anything to try at home they just gave me the standard "call us when you're in front of the box" line. I would think if it were a decoder issue then my recorded files would be fine, but they are all 0 length leading me to believe the HD-PVR isnt sending any H264 back through USB. I wish I had a laptop to try it on to see if its the hardware but I dont. It was a sad night at my house yesterday.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You may want to double-check and make sure it is actually a USB 2.0 port you are plugging into and use the port on the computer and not a hub.

Gerry
Tried two different machines, with different ports, some of which I know are USB2.0 for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

no sage involved here, but i got mine working in 10 minutes yesterday.......MOT stb to hdpvr, usb to lenovo laptop, XPsp2.............worked right out of the box.......made a number of short (up to 5 minute) recordings that play back beautifully on Ziova CS615 network media player streaming from NAS

SD recordings default at 6mbps, 720p at 8mpbs average rates
haven't played with any recording parameters but upgraded to 1.0.3.46 driver with driverupgrade tool (recordings worked fine with 1.0 driver also)

only prob so far is arcsoft s/w hangs occasionally, but if fine after a close/restart

recording audio via rca, haven't tried spdif yet (ac3 promised in next driver)
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

I called Hauppauge this morning and they had me repeat everything that I had already tried (HWClear, remove Arcsoft, re-install drivers and Arcsoft, unplugging the device to reset, etc. etc.) no change. The problem has been escalated to an "engineer" so my prediction is a few more days of runaround before they finally give me an RMA.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

S
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

Another thing I noticed but keep forgetting to mention: the RCA jacks in the back for component video and analog audio push into the unit uncomfortably far when connecting the cables. I doubt that it is related to this issue but it did not make me feel very good when I saw how far the jacks receded into the case with very little force.

S
Old 06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Sage Icon

I too just spoke to Hauppauge. They are starting to think, and I agree, that it's a heat issue.
After running a few tests, the heat issue seems to make sense. If the HDPVR is unplugged for a few minutes, I can plug it in, launch ArcSoft, and see the HD over Component for about five seconds.
If I do my reset proceedure, then launch ArcSoft, while it's still warm, I only get one to two seconds of video, if that.

Also, in case you guys haven't noticed yet, SD video on these boxes works fine. Not that we want to have $250 Hauppauge SDPVR's
Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

I get nothing but "No Signal" also, no matter how warm or cool the HD-PVR is, so for me I doubt it is a heat related issue. I just took the drastic step of formatting my HTPC(needed to anyways) and will report back if a clean install makes any difference.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I get nothing but "No Signal" also, no matter how warm or cool the HD-PVR is, so for me I doubt it is a heat related issue. I just took the drastic step of formatting my HTPC(needed to anyways) and will report back if a clean install makes any difference.
I did too with SageTV. I only get video when I use the ArcSoft, and physically reset the power, right before starting ArcSoft. I think only once, after a bunch of power resets etc... SageTV displayed a static image of an HD input. I haven't seen it again though.

Last edited by mikejaner; 06-03-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
For those of you getting the freeze, are you able to watch on an HD100 extender? It should be able to view playback without any problems.

I'm wondering if you're seeings a codec issue as opposed to an HD-PVR issue.
Brent, I have perfect playback on the HD100, and the 1-3 seconds of video before freezing on a client PC.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

I got home from work and tried it again but there was no change. I spent some time looking at all the settings, config, etc. but there wasn't anything obviously wrong so I unplugged it in the long shot that there was a heat related issue. About 45 min later I tried again and lo and behold I got video in the Arcsoft preview window. I quickly grabbed a 30 s. capture that worked perfectly so I tried re-adding it as a source in Sage. Sage gave me video in it's preview window so I quickly started up a client system and tried to watch something - No Signal! Arrrgh! When I felt the bottom of the unit there was a warm spot near the middle of the bottom. I'd now say that there is definately a heat related issue causing this. It really shouldn't get that warm in less than a minute.

Still doesn't do me any good but will help Hauppage narrow down and fix the problem in the future.

S