SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Video Conversion Messes Up Audio

Summary: Video conversion of HD material to DVD material (DVD Long Play format) causes system-wide audio problem. System Restore fixed the problem.

Detail: My system was working fine last night. Before going to sleep, I set STV to convert two movies to DVD Long Play format. Note, I did not choose the AC3 audio option. Waking up this morning, one conversion had finished and the other conversion was 12% complete. I canceled the incomplete conversion and played the other converted file. The audio stuttered, sounding sort of like it was playing through a fan. The whole interface was sluggish. I rebooted, and for some reason the canceled video conversion started up again. I canceled it again and played the other converted file. Same problem. I deleted the converted file, thinking it was corrupt and played another file. Same problem. Oops! Then I play Winamp and had a similar problem. Checked all the connections, and they were fine. Now I suspected the audio conversion messed up my audio codecs. After trying a few ineffectual things, I rolled the system back to the last System Check Point. Now it works fine again. Posting for the record.

Trying another conversion right now, but I chose the AC3 audio format this time, and I'll see if that recreates the issue. I also suspect that the second movie might have been an issue since it really should have finished encoding overnight, and the restart was odd.

If I get any more useful info, I'll post it here.

UPDATE 1: First re-conversion using AC3 audio worked fine. Redoing the 2nd conversion now.

UPDATE 2: Second conversion doesn't work. Seems to create a memory leak in the Sage Transcoder. I suspect it's the audio portion that causing the trouble. This particular file has Dolby 5.1 AC3 audio. Putting it into a GraphEdit graph shows the audio is not handled correctly vs. the file that converted fine. Somehow STV and Media Player Classic play the file with audio, but NeroVision 4 and GraphEdit don't. From the STV recording detail:

Format: MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, AC3@44.1kHz 5.1]

I've attached screenshots of the two graphs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem.JPG (54.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg good.JPG (58.5 KB, 215 views)
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 06-02-2008 at 08:12 AM.