SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Arrow STV Update Tests for beta v6.4

Since the beta is the best time to try out these new features so they can be fixed if there is a problem, I have prepared a new STV file set update test. Please try updating the STV while using v6.4.3 & later, then let me know if there are any problems.

For testing purposes, I suggest that you follow these steps:
  1. Make a backup copy of your existing <SageTV install path>\SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\SageTV3.xml file. This is the file that will be updated for these tests and you don't want to lose that file in case there is an error. The update process has worked for me every time I tested it, but make a backup just in case.

2. Go to Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Advanced, then choose the Check for STV Update option. If you've imported customizations into your default STV, it will check for an available update but will not install it until you return to the unmodified default STV to see if there really is an update available.

3. After the update, check System Information to make sure that the STV version has changed to the version from the update.

4. If there is another update available, there should be a dialog saying so & that you should check again after the new STV has loaded.

Thanks for testing!

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

Andy,

Am I reading that the new STV update will be installed without affecting any currently installed customizations? (Or at least that's what is supposed to be happening?)

Matt

Quote:
If you've imported customizations into your default STV, go ahead & try this while using the customized STV & see what happens.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Am I reading that the new STV update will be installed without affecting any currently installed customizations? (Or at least that's what is supposed to be happening?)
No... sorry, I guess I really ought to have specified that instead of leaving it vague for people to find out when they test it.

The STV update process requires that you have the default STV loaded (SageTV3.xml). It will check for an update if you are using a customized STV that has chaged the filename & should let you know if an update is available, but it tells you to load the default STV & check again. (The default STV may have already been updated.)

After updating, you will need to re-apply any customization imports.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

It would be pretty cool if it could:
  1. Automatically do a diff against the existing SageTV3.xml
  2. Generate an STVi
  3. Apply the update
  4. Automatically import the STVi generated in step 2.

If there are any errors detected (i.e. the new STV is incompatible with some of the customizations) then it could default back to the new SageTV3.xom file with a notification that the customizations were not automatically imported. Just a thought.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Andy

I use the standard stv by default, and it worked exactly as you described.

I see it also makes a backup of the current stv before updating it.

Dave
Old 05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Mike: I don't know if we'll ever extend it like that, but I think that might generate too many emails to support. I considered having some sort of system to re-apply the imports, but an STV update could break a customization. I think people should look into the batch updater in the customizations forum. We'll see where this basic updater eventually leads, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I use the standard stv by default, and it worked exactly as you described.
Great!

Quote:
I see it also makes a backup of the current stv before updating it.
Yes -- any existing files that the update contains will get backed up, adding the old version number as the new extension for the file. And, if the update fails at some point, all those renamed files should get put back to their original filenames.

- Andy
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Sage Icon

Andy, worked well. Nicely prompted to switch STV's on my customized STV.

Maybe an option from that prompt could be to switch to the default STV and update.

John
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy

If you have SageMC loaded there is no update option at all under advanced.

Once I switched back to the default stv it updated without a hitch.

Anne
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Maybe an option from that prompt could be to switch to the default STV and update.
I've been considering an option to switch to the default STV... it would definitely have to check again after it is loaded, though, because it could be possible that the default STV is already up to date while the custom version was based on an older one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmystique View Post
If you have SageMC loaded there is no update option at all under advanced.

Once I switched back to the default stv it updated without a hitch.
Well, yes, this is only built into the default STV. However, I'm working on a way to let custom STVs like SageMC use the most recent default STV for setup rather than the modified default STV it currently uses.

BTW: the unzip code now built into the default STV could be used by customizations for purposes other than updating the default STV.

- Andy
Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

I can see it now, pop-up, "A new version of SageMC is available, would you like to update." Of course, I choose, "yes," and Sage responds by saying, "Thank you." Sage then says, "I see you have MovieTimes and SMG installed, would you like those reimported when the STV is updated?" Well sure, go ahead Sage, that would be awesome of you...

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Administrator

There is a new STV file set update available, which installs version 2008052301.

See the first post of this topic for instructions.

The update dialog lists all the changes.

See Using the default STV in Custom STV Mode from custom STVs for details on one of the new features that custom STV develoeprs can use.

- Andy
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Andy

The updates work on my XP server but my Vista client gives an error when it tries to rename the existing stv.

Before you say it, yes I know I should know better
Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

What part should you know better about?

Has anyone else tried this on Vista? I don't have Vista, so maybe there is something I need to work around, such as the VirtualStore.

- Andy
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
What part should you know better about?

Has anyone else tried this on Vista? I don't have Vista, so maybe there is something I need to work around, such as the VirtualStore.

- Andy
I should know better than running Vista, it wouldn't let me edit a vbscript earlier either.

The stv file is in the program files area and not the virtual store. If I try to rename it manually I get the message

'Destination Folder Access Denied. You need to confirm this operation'.

I have UAC turned on.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Andy

The updates work on my XP server but my Vista client gives an error when it tries to rename the existing stv.

Before you say it, yes I know I should know better

try to install Sagetv client in "c:\sagetv client" and not in program files folder, and you shouldn't have an issue. Even with UAC off, there is still a security policy that makes Admin user accounts act as regular users in the Program files folder. and other certain system type folders on that O.S. that will prevent overwrite/renaming and deleting of files.

try it out and see if it works. I have to do install some programs to the the root to make things work.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
try to install Sagetv client in "c:\sagetv client" and not in program files folder, and you shouldn't have an issue. Even with UAC off, there is still a security policy that makes Admin user accounts act as regular users in the Program files folder. and other certain system type folders on that O.S. that will prevent overwrite/renaming and deleting of files.

try it out and see if it works. I have to do install some programs to the the root to make things work.
Yup, that worked a treat, cheers
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Test update for Vista

Thanks for reporting the issue using this update system on Windows Vista.

I've got an update to try which I'm hoping will fix the problem. Would someone using Vista with UAC turned on and whose updated properties files are being saved to the VirtualStore please test this update, following these steps:
  1. If you do not have debug logging enabled, please do so.

2. Download the attached zipped SageTV3.xml, make a backup copy of your existing SageTV3.xml, then replace the original with the new version. Make sure this file gets placed in the SageTV install directory, rather than the VirtualStore. (If this isn't possible for some reason, the next update tests replacing other files too.)

3. Load the new SageTV3.xml file as your STV in the SageTV UI -- this must be done even if you are already using that STV. Make sure that System Info says the STV file set is 2008052800.

4. Go to Detailed Setup -> Advanced -> Check for STV Update. It should find an update for file set 2008052801. Install the update. If it succeeds, then System Info should now list 2008052801 as the STV file set.

Let me know whether this update works for Vista. If it fails, I would like to see the log, or at least the portion of the log after it says "Checking remote online video version file".

Thanks.

- Andy
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV3_Vista.zip (960.4 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

So... have either of the 2 people who downloaded the Vista test version above tried updating while UAC was on?

There is another version available: file set 2008052901. See the update dialog for details, but it contains some fixes for online videos, among other things.

If you are using Vista, you should really download the attachment in my previous post before trying to install this update.

As usual, let me know if there are any problems with the updates. Thanks.

- Andy
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Andy

I'll download it tomorrow when I get home and can play with my Vista pc again.

My first priority though will be plugging in my new STX-HD100

Working away all week is a PITA!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Sage User

Worked for me. Previously it wouldn't update with UAC on, but after replacing the STV file it worked great. Now running 2008052901