SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

QAM + ATSC +NTSC problems

I finally got around to getting some more qam signal to my Sage server and have run into a bit of a channel problem. I have a PVR-500, and two HVR-1600s. This gives me 4 NTSC tuners and two HD tuners, one of which tunes QAM and the other tunes ATSC over the air. All went well during the setup, but when I was done it didn't work right, so here is what I did, and maybe somebody can tell me what's wrong?

I setup the NTSC sources by selecting cable, my zip (89139), cox communications extended basic cable and all is well. I use one channel setup and just apply them to all 4 NTSC tuners. Everything is great here at the moment.

To setup the QAM source, I select cable, my zip (89139), cox communications digital cable. I map all of the QAM channels I find to the appropriate digital cable channel and it tunes everything perfectly while in the channel setup.

To setup the ATSC source, I select broadcast, my zip (89139), local broadcast. I map the appropriate channels to the appropriate places and everything tunes perfectly while in the channel setup.

Now when I go to the channel guide, I'm missing channels. For example KVVUDT (Foxs HD channel) is available on both the QAM and the ATSC. On the QAM tuner it is physical channel 112-5-2 logical 735, on the ATSC it is physical 9-1 and logical 1051. However when I go to the guide, I only get 1051 available (as it was the last tuner I setup) and it will occasionally tune improperly.

It seems as though the problem is that both channels are labeled KVVUDT. I was under the understanding that as long as you used different lineups there would be no problem. Since they're both labeled KVVUDT, it seems like Sage occasionally tries to tune the QAM tuner to the ATSC (9-1) channel, which I think is when it occasionally tunes improperly.

What am I doing wrong? Help please! All of the channels still tune properly in the channel setup, just not once all of the tuners are "lumped" together.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmijackso View Post
Now when I go to the channel guide, I'm missing channels. For example KVVUDT (Foxs HD channel) is available on both the QAM and the ATSC. On the QAM tuner it is physical channel 112-5-2 logical 735, on the ATSC it is physical 9-1 and logical 1051. However when I go to the guide, I only get 1051 available (as it was the last tuner I setup) and it will occasionally tune improperly.
For the tuning problems, maybe they are mapped to the wrong physical channel number in Channel Setup.

For the 'missing' channels, see the note starting on the bottom of p. 47 of the v6.3-B PDF manual -- the same network on multiple sources are combined into a single listing in the Guide.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
For the tuning problems, maybe they are mapped to the wrong physical channel number in Channel Setup.

- Andy
I'll check once again, but I'm pretty sure the physical channels are correct. As I said, they tune properly when clicking "view" in the channel setup. But once you complete the setup, and go to the guide, it will occasionally tune improperly. It doesn't seem to do it with every channel, I'll try to nail it down a little more. I was trying to fix it until about 3am when I finally just removed the channels from the lineup as to not destroy upcoming recordings.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

It seems that I may have a failing/failed tuner. When I went back to re-test the ATSC tuner today, it would only tune 1 channel. No matter which physical channel I told it to tune, I would get the same pic and audio. So I removed the source and re-created the source with the same outcome. Shut down sage, and tried using the WinTv channel suite to tune the channels, and got the same symptoms. Then told WinTV to do a channel search (which I did last night and worked fine) and it found no channels. Rebooted the computer and nothing changed. Removed the ATSC tuner and set it up to use QAM instead in Sage, and can still only tune one channel no matter which physical address I use. So for now, I've removed the source so the card doesn't get used by sage. Any suggestions?

Also, I've noticed that Sage seems to be keeping my lineups (i.e. changes I've made to the ATSC lineup) even though I removed the source and no other card is using that lineup. Yesterday, I had noticed this, and changed "mmc/retain_lineups_for_lost_devices=false" with sage and service completely stopped. I've since re-booted and the value is still in the properties file, so it must have taken, but the lineups remain. Any ideas here?

Thanks!
-Fred
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

no ideas?