SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

EventGhost for Firefly and Vista

It was recommended that I downloaded and installed EvenGhost sonce my Girder 3.3ic will no longer work using Vista ...

EventGhost installed fine, but I don't know how to setup / configure it. Does anyone know how to get it to work with the Firefly and Sage?

Girder required a plugin ... Does EventGhost?

EDIT: I also noticed that when I launch EventGhost and it Autorun's the X10 Remote Plugin, I get two errors ...

Error Starting Plugin X10 Remote
No X10 Receiver found!

I checked the Device Manager and the X10 drivers appear to be fine. When I unplug and plug in the USB receiver Vista acknowledges it as well.

Any ideas??

Last edited by mightyt; 05-05-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I seem to remember this happening to me. Try quitting eventghost, then go into device manager. Uninstall the firefly in the device manager (could show up as an X10 receiver) and reinstall it. Then restart eventghost. This hasn't happened to me in awhile, but it's happened a couple of times.

If the firefly is working, a buttonpress should register in the event log on the left side of the screen.

Setup is similar to girder. Be sure to load the sagetv plugin to have access to the commands.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
I seem to remember this happening to me. Try quitting eventghost, then go into device manager. Uninstall the firefly in the device manager (could show up as an X10 receiver) and reinstall it. Then restart eventghost. This hasn't happened to me in awhile, but it's happened a couple of times.

If the firefly is working, a buttonpress should register in the event log on the left side of the screen.

Setup is similar to girder. Be sure to load the sagetv plugin to have access to the commands.
Thanks! ... I'm actually testing my new Sage install ... it;s recording it's first favorite. When it's done I will try deleting the Vista X10 driver, let it reinstall and see what happens.

So, where do I get the SageTV plugin for EG?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
Error Starting Plugin X10 Remote
No X10 Receiver found!
You have to install the Firefly X10 COM Server.

For doing this:

* Unplug your Firefly receiver
* Go to my web site (see signature) and download the Firefly drivers
* Install this drivers (the install will crash but it's ok on Vista)
* Plug your Firefly receiver back

You can also try my software if you want (it should be easier than EventGhost to setup), though it currently will not work with a Firefly on Vista 64 bits (because the X10 COM Server is not 64 bits)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
You have to install the Firefly X10 COM Server.

For doing this:

* Unplug your Firefly receiver
* Go to my web site (see signature) and download the Firefly drivers
* Install this drivers (the install will crash but it's ok on Vista)
* Plug your Firefly receiver back

You can also try my software if you want (it should be easier than EventGhost to setup), though it currently will not work with a Firefly on Vista 64 bits (because the X10 COM Server is not 64 bits)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Thanks Stephane! The drivers worked great. Installed just as you described. i am trying your software and created a SageTV Remote Profile. I was able to program the Firefly key for Home to bring Sage to the Main Menu using the "Press Key" button action, however I wanted to program the Info button using SendMessage, bit When I entered Message = 1258, wPAram = 1, and lParam = 24, i could never get the button to work.

BTW, I set the Windwo Class to SageApp, Title to SageWin and Executable Name to Sage. I even tried Executable Name to Sagetv, but neitehr worked.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Sage Icon

Here is where they hide the most recent EventGhost.
http://eventghost.com/downloads/

Specifically:
http://eventghost.com/downloads/Even...1396_Setup.exe

To add plugins:
From the Menus choose Configuration>Add Plugin then choose your plugin.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
however I wanted to program the Info button using SendMessage, bit When I entered Message = 1258, wPAram = 1, and lParam = 24, i could never get the button to work.
The "SendMessage" action will send the message to either the window corresponding to the profile or a window found with the "FindWindow" action.

For SageTV the window class and window name design a window that is not the UI window (the window LM RKM found for the profile), so you have to add a "FindWindow" action with "SageApp" and "SageWin" before the "SendMessage" action.

For the "Target Application" fields of your SageTV profile, you can use the "Executable name" field only (you don't have to use the three fields, one is enough : press "Record" on your Firefly Remote while editing the remote profile with SageTV in focus to have LM RKM copy the class / title / exec. name for you and keep the exec. name).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Sage Icon

Good News! Success!!

Thanks CollinR and StephaneM !!

I installed the Firefly Driver you pointed me to StephaneM and both LM and EG software’s recognized the remote. I first tried configuring LM since I could not get EG to work prior, but I still had problems with SendMessage. So, I went back to EG and used Emulate Keystroke. It was very easy to do. This required that I go in to Sage and link some of the commands that had missing keystrokes, but once I did that I was able to assign all my remote keys in a jiffy.

So, again thanks to you both! The good news is it wasn't too painful and I didn't have to spend more upgrade costs for Girder.

EDIT:

One other question ... I love my Firefly and am glad it works with Sage ... But wonder ... I have a Panasonic Plasma and it's remote controls the TV, Cable and DVD. Is it possible to use EG with it for Sage? I'd expect I'd need to get a USB-UIRT if this would even work ... Thoughts?

Last edited by mightyt; 05-08-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

Anytime man.

Quote:
One other question ... I love my Firefly and am glad it works with Sage ... But wonder ... I have a Panasonic Plasma and it's remote controls the TV, Cable and DVD. Is it possible to use EG with it for Sage? I'd expect I'd need to get a USB-UIRT if this would even work ... Thoughts?
Use the SageTV plugin in EventGhost and you can control sage while it's not in focus. More specifically your wife can control sage while you surf the net. The plugin in Eventghost is equally easy to configure.

Yes you can control your TV or almost any other IR controlled device if you add a USBUIRT.

I have EventGhost running tons of stuff at my house, via IR, http, tcp, udp and soon to be RS232 and RS485.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Anytime man.

Use the SageTV plugin in EventGhost and you can control sage while it's not in focus. More specifically your wife can control sage while you surf the net. The plugin in Eventghost is equally easy to configure.

Yes you can control your TV or almost any other IR controlled device if you add a USBUIRT.

I have EventGhost running tons of stuff at my house, via IR, http, tcp, udp and soon to be RS232 and RS485.
Hmmm ... So are you doing this with the Firefly? I'm guessing not because it's RF. I think I hear you saying, I can get a USB-UIRT then use my Panasonic Remote with EventGhost and basically have one remote to control all my entertainment center, including Sage. Corrent?

Oh ... and where do I get the SageTV plugin for EventGhost?

Last edited by mightyt; 05-08-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Sage Icon

Yes I love my Firefly!

I would think less of you if you used that panny remote after you have seen the power of RF!

EventGhost and the USBUIRT handle all off the IR transmisison, I have no IR recieving it's all transcoded from RF.

Really this is because of the way my house is layed out, I need to be able to control Sage and my amps from outside on my deck. This would be pretty tough with an IR remote.

You can use the "exclusives" in EventGhost to make your FireFly have multiple personalities. So you click say the A button and now the remote is all about SageTV, click the B button and it's all about your TV. You can also mix and match the FireFly has plenty of buttons.

The SageTV plugin has been included with EventGhost for quite some time, just choose configure>add plugin>Program Control>SageTV.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Yes I love my Firefly!

I would think less of you if you used that panny remote after you have seen the power of RF!

EventGhost and the USBUIRT handle all off the IR transmisison, I have no IR recieving it's all transcoded from RF.

Really this is because of the way my house is layed out, I need to be able to control Sage and my amps from outside on my deck. This would be pretty tough with an IR remote.

You can use the "exclusives" in EventGhost to make your FireFly have multiple personalities. So you click say the A button and now the remote is all about SageTV, click the B button and it's all about your TV. You can also mix and match the FireFly has plenty of buttons.

The SageTV plugin has been included with EventGhost for quite some time, just choose configure>add plugin>Program Control>SageTV.
Yeah, I hear you ... the Firefly is my favorite too ... Just tired of all the remotes and never found a universal that does all that I want. So, I may just stick with what I like for now.

Well, I have installed v.o,35c Build 908 and I don't have a SageTV plugin? Am I on the wrong version, or, can one be found somewhere for me to import? And, do I need it since I created a SageTV folder under the Context Folder and added macros for each Sage command I wanted and assigned them to the Firefly keys?? What would the plugin provide me that I don;t already have??

Thanks for all your help/advice ...
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Sage Icon

Specifically:

To add plugins:
From the Menus choose Configuration>Add Plugin then choose your plugin.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
but I still had problems with SendMessage. So, I went back to EG and used Emulate Keystroke.
You shouldn't have any problems with the "SendMessage" action.

In LM RKM you have two options:

* either you let LM RKM select the profile corresponding to the focused window : then you don't need SendMessage, you just use "PressKey" or a combination of "KeyDown" and "KeyUp" to emulate keyboard shortcuts. For instance for "Ctrl+I", you add "KeyDown/Control" + "KeyDown/I" + "KeyUp/Control" + "KeyUp/I" under the same buttons

* either you force a profile, so whatever the focused windows is LM RKM will use this profile. By forcing a profile (with the "ChangeProfile" action) you put the remote in a mode. For instance for a forced SageTV profile you'll use "SageWin" (without the quotes) as the target application window title and "SageClientApp" (for SageTV Client) or "SageApp" (for SageTV or PlaceShifter) as the target application class name.

The key for SendMessage is to use the right window class and title. Either the title and class for the profile are already what is needed or you can use a "FindWindow" action prior using the "SendMessage" action.

I guess you used the wrong class name:

* If you run the SageTV service and as such are using a SageTV client, the class name is : SageClientApp

* If you run SageTV without using the service, then the class name is : SageApp.

Quote:
No you can't without having a USB-UIRT or a MCE Remote. Within LM RKM you can use a USB-UIRT blaster or MCE Blaster to issue "Blast" actions when you press on a button of your Firefly. For instance you can press on the "Firefly" button let it start SageTV, force the profile for SageTV, put your TV on etc...

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage User

Help With My Firefly Remote

Hi CollinR

I hope you are still watching this thread and can help me.

I am about as smart as a rock when it comes to understanding how to setup things like the Firefly remote to work with SageTV, I have been using it with BeyondTV for a couple years now and I wonder how I ever got the remote to work considering the problems I am having now.

I downloaded links you provided awhile back:

Here is where they hide the most recent EventGhost.
http://eventghost.com/downloads/

Specifically:

but was unable to get the second one to work for the setup instructions appears to be a bad link.

I added the Sage Plug in and all that works on my Firefly with SageTV is the OK button and right left arrows and Volume arrows.

The Play, Pause, and other video / movie watching controls are not seen (do not work) with SageTV and when I get into the Channel Guide I cant get out only scroll up and down, and if I start a movie, live tv channel or a recording / Video I can not get out of it with the remote I have to shut down SageTV and start it again to get back to the main screen.

I am seriously a rock at this stuff and could use some clearly explained (step by step) instructions on how to fix this.

Any help you or any brave soul could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the 21 day trial with SageTV to see if I want to change from beyondTV to it. I really like the features I have seen so far and hope it does not prove to be to complicated for a rookie like me to setup.

Thank You...

Last edited by Wxford; 09-04-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

First make sure you have the Firefly and not the Firefly mini, I assume this is true because otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

You will probably need to uninstall all the Firefly stuff that came with BeyondTV.

You will need to reinstall from BeyondTV the FireFly DRIVERS ONLY.

http://www.snapstream.com/Download/Firefly/

After you have done that you should see the events coming through, basically the snapstream software is intercepting the events you don't currently see.

Worst case we can connect via phone and I can set it up for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage User

Thank You for the quick reply CollinR,

I un-installed Firefly and EventGhost, then ran a cleaning program I had to try and make sure no files were left behind.

I then installed the newest Furefly software and set it up following the wizzard.

Tried it with SageTV first just to see and was acting exactly the same.

I then re-installed EventGhost and activated the Sage Add on and it created a long list of folders for SageTV.

I then opened SageTV up again and tried and the response was still the same. :-(

In sage Detailed Setup > Commands > I have been using the MCE remote control configuration since it is the only one I found that seems to recognize my Firefly remote.

I also used the option there to check recognized commands and it shows a response for the ones I mentioned earlier that work and nothing at all for the ones that do not, when I press one of the buttons on my Firrefly remote that do not work with SageTV I hear the error sound on my computer speaks that I have heard in the past if I press a button that is not assigned or does not work with the program I am using.

I am fixing to go to bed at this time since i sleep days and work nigths and it is well past my bedtime. i will check back here in about 8-9 hours to see if you had been back on yet.

Thank You Again, Friend.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxford View Post
I then installed the newest Furefly software and set it up following the wizzard.
The DRIVERS ONLY shouldn't come with any sort of wizard, verify that you got the correct download.

If they have gotten it backwards on their site you can use generic x10 remote drivers from the eventghost downloads however your event names will not match the keys you are pressing. ie Channelup on the remote will show ChannelDown event. This is only a problem during setup but I would only do this as a last resort.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Sage User

What I meant when I said wizzard was the steps it had me do like remove the USB cable nd put it back in, then press the OK button then it gave me 3 choices to pick from after I pressing the OK button, that was to select from starting Beond media, BeyondTV, or SageTV, so it recognizes SageTV.

I also noticed if I open EventGhost and under the SageTV list if I pick an item right click on it and select "Execute item" SageTV responds Flawlessly.

So the break down seems like EventGhost is not seeing the Firefly remote and SageTV only see's the arrow movements I mentioned before.

My luck it is one simple step away and I just don't know what to look for to fix it.

One more thing I just noticed with EventGhost, the first time I had installed it I noticed it showed every time I pressed a button and what that button was in the log on the lef panel of EventGhost, now I am not seeing any thing happen there when I use my Firefly remote. I have tried un-installing and re-installing EventGhost and it still is not showing the keys I press.... Also the very first time I installed EventGhost it had lots of things pre-configured or showing that is in the right hand Configuration window, now when I install it it only has:

Configuration Tree > Autostart > (and now Plugin; SageTV and the SageTV Folder since I enabled that Addon)

Hope this helps, I have been looking for hours and nothing I have found and tried helped.

Last edited by Wxford; 09-05-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Sage User

I think I got lucky and finally stumbled across a forums with a resolve for my issue.

So far Sage is now being responsive to letting me set the key bindings from the SageTV menu (Setup > Detailed Setup > Commands) and I don't have to use EventGhost it works with out it.

The only key that is not wanting to setup and still acts like all the others used to is the stop key (stop recording TV or stop playing a DVD, etc.) but I at least have the option now to open the options menu and select stop recording or playing. Maybe now I will get some good use out of SageTV during my 21 day trial and be convinced to dump my BeyondTV. LOL

Took me awhile to figure out what they were describing but once I edited the file in Firefly's profile it all started working correctly.

below is the link to the whole forums post and a copy of the section I used.

(Note I was using Windows XP not Vista and I had to remove "Client" from the string after I copied it into the profile and saved it since I was not using this on one computer and not a Server or Client.)

<--Start Copy from other forum-->

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...t=firefly+sage

Re: Firefly won't use Sage profile
Ok, I had your same problem but only with SageTV Client.
If the remote works in other apps and in Sage retains the ability to arrow up, down, sideways and select, then the problem lies in the .xml file for sage that is supposed to activate when the program starts. I am using Vista and it locates these "profiles" a different place than XP so these directions are Vista specific only in regards to file locations. The profiles in XP are somewhere under the documents and settings stuff for specific users or default user.

Ok the file you need to fix is "SageTV-FreyTechnologies-1.4.xml"
(located here in Vista C:\ProgramData\SnapStream\Firefly\Profiles)

Don't worry that the version number is way old it has nothing to do with it.

For a quick fix for SageTV Client just add this line with notepad to the second line of that xml file:

<Identifier ClassName="SunAwtFrame" WindowText="SageTV Client" FileName="C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTVClient.exe" />

That path is for Vista, fix it for your specific path if need be.
Save file and restart Sage client and you should have all keys working.

Ok, that is the quick fix for SageTV Client.

<--End Copy from other forum-->