SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

MVP won't load application

I purchased a used (wired) MVP off ebay, but it gets stuck on the loading application phase. What can cause that other than firewall settings? I've triple checked the rules for it, and also tried with the firewall completely disabled.

Here are some relevant facts:

- Hardware seems fine. If I shut down Sage service and install the Hauppage media server, the box loads and runs it without an issue. I have stopped those services and uninstalled Hauppage media server, so it is not a conflict here.

- Sage server and MVP are connected to same gigabit switch, so there should not be a routing issue

- MVP makes it past the checking ethernet and DHCP stages, then hangs on the loading application message. During this time the network activity lights on the MVP and switch port flash only intermittently, as if polling looking for a server. I don't see the same green light activity I do when loading with the Hauppage media server software as the server.

- Sage TV has the server enabled, with a PlaceShifter license installed. I can use PlaceShifter from other PCs in the LAN, so I know the server is active and has a valid placeshifter / extender license. Placeshifter is not active on any device when trying to get the MVP to load.

- The FAQ show the MVP needs several ports placeshifter doesn't, but not only are all of them enabled, but the MVP also fails to load when the firewall is completely turned off.

Watching the activity lights by the RJ45 jacks, I'd surmise the MVP is polling for a server but not finding it. Yet placeshifter works, and all firewalls are completely disabled. The MVP works fine with the Hauppage server.

What am I missing here?

Were there early MVP models which would not recognize and work with Sage? I don't know the age of this box since it was used off eBay.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Does your Sage server have multiple network adapters on it?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Does your Sage server have multiple network adapters on it?
In fact it does, though I have set the priority of them in WinXP's Network Connections -> Advanced. Also note that placeshifter works, which at least to me, implies the Sage service must be using the right adapter.

I can't find anything in Sage setup to tell it to bind to a specific adapter.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

Try the miniserver/forced_server_ip= parameter in the sage properties file. It should be the IP address of the NIC on the server that can get to the MVP.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage Icon

What is providing dhcp? I put a dhcp server on my Sage box and all MVP troubles disappeared.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Sage Icon

That is up to the user to know. The XP OS would provide a DHCP server if the network was set up in a certain manner. Most routers have a DHCP server. My DSL router provides the DHCP server for one of my networks and I use the tfpd32 program to provide the DHCP server for my other network. I never did like the one provided by the XP OS and I have not seen one for VISTA.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
Try the miniserver/forced_server_ip= parameter in the sage properties file. It should be the IP address of the NIC on the server that can get to the MVP.
Thanks, that did it. While there, I also noticed another property which seemed strange to me:

miniserver/gateway=192.168.0.1

If I ever had a 192.168.0.x segment to my LAN, it was years ago. Should this be my normal gateway IP? I'm assuming it should be. I also changed it, plus added the forced server IP, and things are working anyway.

So thanks!