SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Sage User

I am currently using MCE IR Blaster and MCE remote with Sage TV. I would like to use my Tivo remote instead, will it work with MCE IR Blaster to control Sage TV. If so where do I start in programming the Tivo remote to work with the MCE IR Blaster?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Andrew
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Sage Expert

I would start at the SageTV --> Setup --> Detailed Setup --> Link IR/Keystroke screen and see if the MCE IR receiver will recognize and transmit to SageTV, commands from your Tivo remote. If so, then it's simply a matter of mapping the appropriate buttons to the analogous Sage commands. Worked well for me using the USBUIRT.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Sage User

I'm glad you wrote back because I have read all your posts in the "best remote" thread regarding the Tivo remote. It is the finishing touch I'm trying to make to my Sage TV setup and then I will move it to the living room.

Hoping it would be simple I did what you said in your message prior to posting and I went to "Show SageTV Commands linked to Infrared/Keystroke" having "Remote Control Configuration:" set to "MCE remote". It did not recognize the remote selecting up and down or volume, numbers or anything else. Light flickered in IR but nothing else.

I also tried "Link Infrared/Keystroke to SageTV Command" and nothing. (I'm familiar with that process and used it with my MCE remote)

Did you reset your remote before trying this or just started pointing and selecting? Is there something I need to do to the remote itself?

I even tried changing "Remote Control Configuration:" to "USB-UIRT Receiver + Any Remote" but it said "Failed setting the Infrared Receiver Port! Please ensure that the device is connected."

I also tried installing the "USB-UIRT" drivers but received an error that it was unable to find an .ini file.

My hope was that these IR blasters were all generic. Do you know if IR blasters are generic or is there something special about the one you can buy at http://www.usbuirt.com/ or that there is something proprietary with the MCE IR Blaster? Do think I can simply buy one at our local Fry's electronics or Radio Shake? (I'm trying to get this done quickly)

My Tivo remote is a Pioneer Tivo remote VXX2870 (Tivo Series 2) picture here it does not have a slider switch but I will only be using it with Sage TV. It is great because it has a few more buttons for the DVD player and a picture in picture button. Do you think there will be any problems using this remote?

I know this is long but thanks for all your information and help,
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
I would start at the SageTV --> Setup --> Detailed Setup --> Link IR/Keystroke screen and see if the MCE IR receiver will recognize and transmit to SageTV, commands from your Tivo remote. If so, then it's simply a matter of mapping the appropriate buttons to the analogous Sage commands. Worked well for me using the USBUIRT.

Last edited by Andrew54; 04-16-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Sage Expert

My guess is that the Tivo remote is not compatible with the MCE IR receiver based upon your experience. Too bad. The flickering of the MCE receiver suggests that it detects intelligent life - just not passing the info to SageTV. Is there a substitute driver to try? End game for you would be to scrounge a USB-UIRT which is assured to work.