SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM

audio file formats

Anyone know if there will be support for other file formats like wma? when you by music online that's the only format you can get.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah... I understand the fact that MS's format is not open, so Jeff can't just 'add it' to his own streaming model... BUT...

I don't see why, he couldn't just copy the file over to a temp dir / temp file and play it. Or something along the same lines. That would allow the files to be played without having to worry about the proprietary streaming part...

Just an idea.

Jason
Old 01-29-2004, 06:17 AM

MS keeping the little man down

So does that mean nobody can play a wma file unless they get usage rights from MS. Sounds like they had a big hand in the music industry. If thats the case, I probably won't buy anymore online songs. I'll just copy them from my friends, the old fashioned way.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I think anybody can play wma songs that are not DRM'd but all the ones you buy online are (I'm sure) so those probably need special handling just like standard quicktime files vs the ones of iTunes.

Just get the CD, Lossless all the way baby! And no bloody DRM
Old 01-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have no problems playing WMA files (DRM or not) in myHTPC.
This does require windows media player to be installed, and the files appear to play within an embedded instance of windows media player.

I think wma support is a absolute must for any music management software. Until it is incorporated into SageTV (or added through the use of Studio), I'll have to to keep using myHTPC as a front end, and using Sage only for TV.

Andrew
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Not supporting wma is a big mistake for Sage. I have started using this legal form for getting music, but right now I can only play the music I downloaded from Kazaa!!!

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix
Old 01-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Funny, I have the same opinions about AAC. What would be ideal to me is if Sage could playback using WMP or Itunes codecs, but it's own interface. This way we could each choose which player to use, and thus which formats are supported. I'm not so sure how easy that'd be do to.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

If you sell your product, you have to license the ability to use MS media player in your app. The SDK is free and you can use the extensions it provides in your app for free. Once you start selling it, MS wants a cut.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Maybe it could be sold as an add on for people who want it. I wouldn't be in the least interested in a wma add on but I might pay a little extra for an aac w/drm extension. Better yet, provide an api so third parties can supply the plugins.

t