SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Sage User

Is this a feature that is available?

I am new to the world of SageTV and looking to possibly utilize it and the extenders to replace two ReplayTV boxes that I am currently using...

Hate to replace them as they are fantastic...But not HD

Question - RTV has what is called Internet Video Sharing and has a robust network at www.poopli.com where people can request shows from each other and then transfer directly to the RTV over the internet...

does SageTV have a function similar to this?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Isn't that the very thing Replay was sued out of business for?

TV shows are copyrighted, so I doubt SageTV is going to get involved with sharing such files between users.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Sage User

I think it was more the Commercial Skip Function that got them into trouble

The IVS system is not a copyright issue
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

They were sued over both, and sharing copyrighted shows with other people on the internet is clearly copyright infringement. It's no different than BT.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Besides the copyright infringement aspect, you wouldn't want to share uncompressed high def recordings on a one to one basis like ReplayTV IVS does. It would take forever to complete the transfer with normal DSL/Cable speeds.

Currently I'm running both ReplayTV and SageTV. My only advice would be store DVArchive (d) ReplayTV recordings on a separate hard drive than from your SageTV recordings.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed View Post
Besides the copyright infringement aspect, you wouldn't want to share uncompressed high def recordings on a one to one basis like ReplayTV IVS does. It would take forever to complete the transfer with normal DSL/Cable speeds.

Currently I'm running both ReplayTV and SageTV. My only advice would be store DVArchive (d) ReplayTV recordings on a separate hard drive than from your SageTV recordings.
got it...So...I should keep an RTV for IVS purposes and be content to watch those shows in SD...

Posible to play RTV shows after transferring to the Sage Server via SageTV?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
They were sued over both, and sharing copyrighted shows with other people on the internet is clearly copyright infringement. It's no different than BT.
I stand corrected...
Old 03-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell View Post
got it...So...I should keep an RTV for IVS purposes and be content to watch those shows in SD...

Posible to play RTV shows after transferring to the Sage Server via SageTV?
You can always record the same program twice--in SD on ReplayTV and HD via SageTV. Good to have a backup--just in case.

You can import ReplayTV mpegs via the Media Center > Browse Media Files menu. But the XML show descriptions are lost, so you need to name your files something recognizable.

I was noticing this program that nielm had written for BeyondTV users:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=202

Maybe if there's more of us former ReplayTV users with Terabytes of archived shows and we are real nice to him he could write us a XML converter program.

Last edited by dotheDVDeed; 03-28-2008 at 04:32 PM.