SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

WHS Wiz.bin backup

Currently I have an XP system running sage. Some months ago I setup a WHS system and was contemplating moving sage onto it. The only real issue I see is fact that WHS OS isn't backed up. Based on what I see if I lose the OS drive and have SageTV installed I will lose my wiz.bin and the 4 years of data it holds. Am I thinking correctly? Is there a way to mitigate this?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't use WHS, but as far as I know nothing stops you from backing up your Sage folder or your entire boot drive to an external drive or to some other computer or NAS on your LAN.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Because I use WHS and the XP system with sage on it is a "client" it is automatically backed up everyday. This automated backup was the primary reason I setup WHS. I could back up manually but want to see if there is another better WHS way.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't need WHS to get automated backup. The NTBackup utility that comes with XP includes a scheduled backup feature, or you can use Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel to automate any command-line backup or disk-imaging tool. Windows Server 2003 has these same scheduling abilities, so I assume WHS does too.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

This isn't a question about the merits of WHS or alternative backup strategies. This question is about backup of my sage data when/if I migrate to my WHS server.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, I get that. My point is that WHS must have some provision for backing itself up to an external drive, tape, or NAS. In XP and Server 2003 this tool is called NTBackup, is accessed from Accessories > System Tools, and is easily automated. I don't have WHS but I don't see why it would be any different in this respect.

If your WHS box is headless, you'll probably have to use Remote Desktop to set up your backup schedule, but once you've done so it should be completely automatic. (I have automated backup jobs that run daily on all my XP boxes.)
Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Yes, I get that. My point is that WHS must have some provision for backing itself up to an external drive, tape, or NAS. In XP and Server 2003 this tool is called NTBackup, is accessed from Accessories > System Tools, and is easily automated. I don't have WHS but I don't see why it would be any different in this respect.

If your WHS box is headless, you'll probably have to use Remote Desktop to set up your backup schedule, but once you've done so it should be completely automatic. (I have automated backup jobs that run daily on all my XP boxes.)
If you are only backing up the SYS drive be sure to skip the "fs" directory or you will get all of the files on the DATA drives as well. Otherwise this works fine.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

WHS is built upon Windows Server 2003 for Small Business......so whatever the Small Business version has, should also be included in WHS.

Personally, I'm not too worried about backing up my WHS system drive because I can always do a re-installation which picks up all my shares etc. The only thing I have to re-enter are user accounts.