SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Sage Icon

Lost tuner functionality?

I have an HDHomerun and have had no problem getting SageTV set up and running, channels found and assigned, etc. I only have those two tuners and no others. Everything was fine for the first several hours.

My wife set “American Idol” as a favorite, to record only on our local Fox affiliate (19). We also get a Fox affiliate from another nearby city (45), but this was not set.

When “AI” started last night, I noticed that both tuners - the local Fox 19 and other Fox 45 - were recording it. I didn’t know why, but it is possible that the other tuner just happened to be on Fox 45 previously, so no big deal, nothing else was set to record anyway. But after the show ended, that other tuner remained on Fox45, and I could not change it. I tried to manually record two shows at once on other channels – I began recording “Lost”, and then when I tried to manually record a second program on a local PBS (which should have forced the change from Fox 45), it only gave me the option to stop recording “Lost”. I tried all sorts of things and could not get Sage to change that second tuner off of Fox 45. It was as if SageTV did not know that other tuner was even there, at that point, and was behaving as though I only had one tuner.

In all my various attempts, I tried watching videos from the Online stuff, and ran across a large file that ended up locking me up, and I eventually had to go downstairs and reboot the server. Since then, everything has been okay.

Not a good way to start my first full night on SageTV, and definitely not good for the WAF.

Any ideas on why SageTV was not seeing that second tuner? Anyone else had that problem? Is it possible that it was a HDHR glitch (although that other tuner still was running, showing Fox 45)?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

I don't know how many rooms you have running SageTV... was SageTV running live TV in another room? If the menus are set to always display video or if you just returned to a menu w/o stopping playback, live TV cuold have still been playing.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I don't know how many rooms you have running SageTV... was SageTV running live TV in another room? If the menus are set to always display video or if you just returned to a menu w/o stopping playback, live TV cuold have still been playing.

- Andy
Thanks, Andy - hopefully this is just a menu setting that I accidentally have set incorrectly. I do have another TV with Sage running on an HD Extender as well... so is it that the other extender is tuned to that station (45) and wouldn't "let go" because of a menu setting (I would read the manual about it but I don't have it here at work - I will check when I get home tonight)? If so, just to speed things along, where is this menu setting (what path)?

Also (and maybe this is explained in the manual), what do you mean by "if you just returned to a menu w/o stopping playback"? When American Idol ended, I was able to go to the recordings menu, where American Idol was listed (and when I clicked into it, it showed both recordings). I deleted it, and it went away, but the "block" that was previously showing AI on 19 and 45 then changed to list the next show that was on 45. I hit the "TV" button at the top of the HD Extender remote, which took me to the live stream of the show on 45. In trying "everything", I hit the "Stop" button at the bottom of the remote, and this took me back to the Recordings menu. In fact, I believe the "stop" button was almost functioning as a toggle back and forth between the recordings list (showing the currently-recording show on 45) and the live stream.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Are you using the default STV? If not, check the customizations forum. If you are, then you can use the Options command on almost any menu to set the Video Menu Options, which controls when/how/if videos are played on menus.

If you watch shows as they record, that is considered to be Live TV, so if you do that, your best bet is to always use Stop to end playback or put SaegTV into standby, both of which will stop Live TV -- more info about this is on p. 21 in the PDF manual.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Are you using the default STV? If not, check the customizations forum. If you are, then you can use the Options command on almost any menu to set the Video Menu Options, which controls when/how/if videos are played on menus.

If you watch shows as they record, that is considered to be Live TV, so if you do that, your best bet is to always use Stop to end playback or put SaegTV into standby, both of which will stop Live TV -- more info about this is on p. 21 in the PDF manual.

- Andy
Ohhhhhhhhh. I get it. The "watch TV" window up in the right corner while you are looking at a menu. I was confused.

Yup - last night, just before Idol, I was adjusting settings and I switched to "always show video on menus". I never thought about that "locking" in a station. That makes sense!

Sorry to bother you - but thanks for the fast response!!