SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Moving from Cable to Satellite

I'm looking for a little guidance before switching to satellite TV. I've been successfully running a SageTV client/server setup for a number of years, with one MediaMVP box on the network. I do not currently use SageTV for regular TV viewing/timeshifting/etc. The SageTV server sits in the basement and handles my recording duties, which I then watch at my convenience on either a PC or through my MediaMVP. This may change once I switch to minimize the number of sat receivers I need to lease. It's worked very well, but my cable bill is getting out of hand and their cable internet access has recently been horribly unreliable. So I am switching to either DirecTV or Dish Networks, but am not sure which would be the best fit for my SageTV setup.

First, I want to avoid using IR senders if at all possible. I currently use a serial connection and love it. If I can keep using something similar (hard wired), it will make a big difference in my selection. Do either of the above mentioned providers offer receivers that can be controlled by SageTV with direct wiring?

Second, will my MediaMVP be able to record HD programming? I understand there would likely be a big quality loss, but is it capable or would I absolutely need to shell out big bucks for a HD extender?

Third, I'm looking for any other general advice or recommendations regarding which service may be better for my setup. Anything is welcome.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

A couple quick answers...

- DirecTV has tuners that are serial capable. I have 2 and have had no issues. Dish may as well... I have no experience.

- MediaMVP doesn't record anything - they just play back what is recorded.

- MVPs won't display HD, only SD content. However, if your server has enough Horsepower, you can have it transcode HD to SD on the fly. Works quite well. If it doesn't have enough power, you can have it transcode during off hours (overnight).

- Currently there is no way to record HD streams from satellite (other than R5000 which will be too expensive if you think the HD Extender is expensive). There are a couple solutions on the near horizon (supposedly this calendar quarter) - but none available today.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I know the MVP doesn't record anything, meant to say "play back" HD. Anyway, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Since I don't have a HD set yet, and couldn't record HD anyway, I guess it wouldn't make much sense at this ponit to get HD content. But, say I can record HD of DirectTV in the near future. How much processor would I need on the server to transcode HD on the fly?

I've done a little research on the serial control deal for DirecTV. It looks like new boxes have USB, but no serial port. Is there any way to use the usb port directly, or would I need to buy the Patterson Tech serial converter I ran across?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubblwump View Post
Yeah, I know the MVP doesn't record anything, meant to say "play back" HD. Anyway, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Since I don't have a HD set yet, and couldn't record HD anyway, I guess it wouldn't make much sense at this ponit to get HD content. But, say I can record HD of DirectTV in the near future. How much processor would I need on the server to transcode HD on the fly?
As much as you can get, especially if you're talking about H.264 HD (which is what the Hauppauge device will record in and what most HD channels are, or soon will be).
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I used the Patterson cable for 1 of my boxes, and one of my older ones is straight serial cable (if I remember right)

There are still advantages to going with HD even if you don't have a HD TV. For one... I get my local channels in HD from an antenna. This leaves my satellite boxes open to record non-local channels (Big Ten, Speed, USA, etc). To date, I've never had a recording conflict

The other advantage... picture quality. HD transcoded looks better than SD. Even my wife can tell the difference.

One issue though will be that HD signals are in widescreen, so if you don't have a TV to take advantage of it - you'll have letterboxes.

Just some food for thought

Last edited by BFisher; 02-10-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubblwump View Post
I've done a little research on the serial control deal for DirecTV. It looks like new boxes have USB, but no serial port. Is there any way to use the usb port directly, or would I need to buy the Patterson Tech serial converter I ran across?
I have three DirecTV D12 receivers connected to my Sage server and control them with the Patterson USB cables. The key was that I bought three Belkin USB to serial adapters to connect them together. The down side for me is that, like a lot of USB devices, they sometimes forget they are connected and I have to reboot to make them work again. Not often, just enough to affect the WAF. I'm considering getting a multiport serial card...you can pick up a 4-port unit on ebay for about $100 or so. I've narrowed it down to the Belkin adapters dropping off--the COM port actually goes away.

I use this for exactly what you describe--to reduce the number of STBs I need. I have 6-7 TVs (including my laptop) but only 3-4 of them are in use at any given time. At that rate, cheap PCs to display SD content are pretty much free.