SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Question about Showanalyzer and to set it to ignore certain network/channels

I know this isn't Showanalyzer forum but my questions about SA which also covers SageTV and SageTV Web Server and Dirmon etc so I thought since this forum get the most traffic, Ill post it here because I am sure there some expereinced SA users reading this forum too.

I been using SA for several months now using Dirmon and it works great but I was reading up some more about it and read that SA can be set to ignore certain network or channel like PBS / HBO / Showtime etc recordings and that so far the only way is to set it is to use Niem Web Server which I am sure is pretty basic to setup and get running.

But I was wondering if there is a way to set up SA to ignore certain recordings and not to process it without Niem Webserver installed just by using Dirmon setup only or is the only way to have this feature is to run SA with Web server?

If I use Web server then I won't need the Dirmon to start and process SA correct?

Thank you!
Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x

Last edited by TechBill; 01-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Sage Icon

The way it works is that you have dirmon still set to trigger SA for all shows. When SA starts on a show, it will access the webserver to get the specific channel and name? of the show. It will then compare that info against the SA exclusion settings that you configure in SA setup. If the rules match, SA will skip that show and leave a blank .edl file so that dirmon won't retrigger on it.

So, you still need dirmon to start SA.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

This is good information. I decided a while back that I wanted to try setting up commercial skipping, but I wanted to wait under after the Super Bowl so I wouldn't screw anything up. I set up SA and dirmon2, and while I've been impressed with the speed (my server is pretty slow), it does a pretty horrible job at detecting commercials on NBC- bad enough that I was going to stop using SA all together. I'll have to try setting this up so it doesn't even bother scanning those files.

Techbill, you said you have SA working pretty well. Did you do anything special to tweak your system to better detect commercials?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

No I didn't tweak anything to my SA to have it working better.

But on the Biography channel, SA is horrible on it that because the commerial is longer on compare to other network stations so I need to tweak for this network and increase the expect commerical length so I have not check in schoolhouse to determine the best tweak setting yet.

I still have not yet been able to get SA to work with Web Server and I couldn't figure out how you would tell SA not to run on certain networks so I am still trying to figure this one out.

I was hoping to find some guide or post on getting SA to work with web server but no luck finding one yet.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
I still have not yet been able to get SA to work with Web Server and I couldn't figure out how you would tell SA not to run on certain networks so I am still trying to figure this one out.

I was hoping to find some guide or post on getting SA to work with web server but no luck finding one yet.
I haven't seen any SA guides on webserver usage, I just figured it out on my own.

I'll try to walk you through the basics.

First you have to have the webserver setup on the server.

Then you open up "configure showanalyzer" and go to Global>Webserver. There you can enable using the webserver. You can also set it up to pause SA when you are recording or watching TV if you have issues with SA running while Sage is doing disk I/O.

Below that you set up the settings so that SA can log into the webserver, SSL (if used), host name of the sage server, port (default is 8080), webserver username and password, and webserver version. Hit the test button to make sure it is set up correctly and you get SUCCESS.

Now that you have SA>Webserver access set correctly, you can then set up SA to follow your rules to decide how and what to comscan.

Go to Global>Auto settings. This is where you set up your rules. YOu can do stuff like add a rule to DoNotProcess when the recorded channel number is between 500 and 600 (that is were all my premium channels are all so no need to SA those channels). I also DoNotProcess my PBS channels. Now, for you, if you used Schoolhouse to set up a custom profile, you could then set up a rule to use that profile on shows with a specific filename or showname.

Make sure you do a Save ALL to save your settings when done.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I haven't seen any SA guides on webserver usage, I just figured it out on my own.

I'll try to walk you through the basics.

First you have to have the webserver setup on the server.

Then you open up "configure showanalyzer" and go to Global>Webserver. There you can enable using the webserver. You can also set it up to pause SA when you are recording or watching TV if you have issues with SA running while Sage is doing disk I/O.

Below that you set up the settings so that SA can log into the webserver, SSL (if used), host name of the sage server, port (default is 8080), webserver username and password, and webserver version. Hit the test button to make sure it is set up correctly and you get SUCCESS.

Now that you have SA>Webserver access set correctly, you can then set up SA to follow your rules to decide how and what to comscan.

Go to Global>Auto settings. This is where you set up your rules. YOu can do stuff like add a rule to DoNotProcess when the recorded channel number is between 500 and 600 (that is were all my premium channels are all so no need to SA those channels). I also DoNotProcess my PBS channels. Now, for you, if you used Schoolhouse to set up a custom profile, you could then set up a rule to use that profile on shows with a specific filename or showname.

Make sure you do a Save ALL to save your settings when done.
Thank you!

I will go try setting it up now.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software