SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, Sage.properties (it would be SageClient.Properties) if you were using Sage in "service mode".
Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Sage User

Made the changes and they have - thank you - appeared on the PSE tags list. Now to get to work on getting the pictures to show.

Bill Cole
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Sage Icon

PSE8 Upgrade

I've been playing with the PSE8 trial and as always I wish it was cheaper but I like it so far. The issues I was running into with PSE7 seem to have been resolved and I like the online sync and other features. I am strongly considering to start using PSE again and upgrading. Is there anyone interested in a new version of this STVi to support the later versions of PSE?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Don't go out of your way but I've been looking at the trial also. I've strayed away and used Picasa but I'm looking at going back to PSE. I would definitely use it if you created a new STVI.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I've been playing with the PSE8 trial and as always I wish it was cheaper but I like it so far. The issues I was running into with PSE7 seem to have been resolved and I like the online sync and other features. I am strongly considering to start using PSE again and upgrading. Is there anyone interested in a new version of this STVi to support the later versions of PSE?
YES! YES! YES!

I have been wanting to upgrade our PSE from Version 4 to the latest but haven't because I didn't want to lose the ability to view our catalog in Sage. Really hope you will be able to do it and make it work!

Thanks very much,
Rod
Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Don't go out of your way but I've been looking at the trial also. I've strayed away and used Picasa but I'm looking at going back to PSE. I would definitely use it if you created a new STVI.
I have been using J. River Media Center for quite a while and while I like it's capabilities it doesn't match PSE for ease-of-use for photos (and I still use the PSE5 editor anyways) so I'm considering going back too. Do you use SageMC or default STV (please say SageMC )?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

PS

I am in the process of moving Sage to a WHS server I just built. Do you know if your old version will work there?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
I am in the process of moving Sage to a WHS server I just built. Do you know if your old version will work there?
Should be fine. Make sure the paths to your photos are still good.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have been using J. River Media Center for quite a while and while I like it's capabilities it doesn't match PSE for ease-of-use for photos (and I still use the PSE5 editor anyways) so I'm considering going back too. Do you use SageMC or default STV (please say SageMC )?
I flip between the default and SageMC. Build it for SageMC and I'll see what I can do to mod it for the default.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good to know it should be okay on WHS.

I used Sage MC for awhile. Can't remember why I switched back to default, but I think it was that I was having some problems in MC. But to be able to use the latest version of PSE I would sure be willing to try it again.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I used Sage MC for awhile. Can't remember why I switched back to default, but I think it was that I was having some problems in MC. But to be able to use the latest version of PSE I would sure be willing to try it again.
If I decide to do it I will go ahead and make a Default STV version too since 2/3 of us interested in this don't use SageMC .

In any case, as usual I have run into a few "snags" in PSE8 after using the trial some more that are a little bothersome. The writing metadata (tags & properties) to files is a little buggy as well as the online album sync (the photo order is not maintained after the initial sync). I'm not sure if these are too significant to keep me from going back to PSE but I will decide soon.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If I decide to do it I will go ahead and make a Default STV version too since 2/3 of us interested in this don't use SageMC .

In any case, as usual I have run into a few "snags" in PSE8 after using the trial some more that are a little bothersome. The writing metadata (tags & properties) to files is a little buggy as well as the online album sync (the photo order is not maintained after the initial sync). I'm not sure if these are too significant to keep me from going back to PSE but I will decide soon.
Good Luck!--and we're all counting on you.

Gerry
Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Good Luck!--and we're all counting on you.

Gerry
Yes we are!

Have you tried the Adobe PSE forum for help with your "Snags"?

Thanks again for your efforts on this. And glad to know you will make a default STV version.

Rod
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Have you tried the Adobe PSE forum for help with your "Snags"?
Yes. It sounds like the online album sync issue is on the list to be fixed but an Adobe rep said it might not make it until the next full release (another $90 next year to get the catalog sync to work right - no thanks). It also possibly could make a "point release" but I don't have high hopes for that. The metadata writing appears to be "just buggy" which is a problem since I want all my tags and other properties also written to my files in case of a catastrophic catalog failure or PSE being discontinued, etc.

In that light, instead of updating this STVi for the new version of PSE I am considering modifying it to have the same viewing/filtering capabilities but using the files imported into Sage as the source. That is, read all the metadata (keyword tags, captions, etc.) that has been written to the files themselves (from whatever program) instead of using the PSE catalog. This would not allow for "ordered albums" but is just an idea for now.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
In that light, instead of updating this STVi for the new version of PSE I am considering modifying it to have the same viewing/filtering capabilities but using the files imported into Sage as the source. That is, read all the metadata (keyword tags, captions, etc.) that has been written to the files themselves (from whatever program) instead of using the PSE catalog. This would not allow for "ordered albums" but is just an idea for now.
I'd be more WAY interested in that version than an updated PSE version! (But I would be interested in both...)
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 10-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

So, after (too much) debate I decided to go with PSE again. I decided against the "generic" approach that I mentioned above because it would not allow for ordered albums or video metadata (at least not easily), and it would be a lot of work dealing with all the file metadata myself and trying to keep it in sync. In any case, expect an update to this STVi in a little while.

For anyone interested, Amazon is having a good deal on PSE8 now.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
So, after (too much) debate I decided to go with PSE again. I decided against the "generic" approach that I mentioned above because it would not allow for ordered albums or video metadata (at least not easily), and it would be a lot of work dealing with all the file metadata myself and trying to keep it in sync. In any case, expect an update to this STVi in a little while.

For anyone interested, Amazon is having a good deal on PSE8 now.
Great news! Will sure be looking forward to it.

Thanks very much.

Rod
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I goofed! I have setup a new WHS server for Sage. It's been running fine, but a little while ago I was trying to point at the PSE catalog from my HD100 Extender and inadvertently (I think) loaded the PSE STV where the normal STV should be.

Here are my symptoms:

On the HD100 Extender (the one I made the changes on)

1. As soon as I said okay the screen went blank.

2. After unplugging and replugging the HD100 it gets hung up on "Media Extender is Starting Up". Powering off and back on - no change.

On the HD200 Extender:

1. Operation appears normal, although I have not looked at photos or gone to setup.

It's interesting that whatever I did is only affecting one extender. There must be a file that I can change back in Sage on WHS. I have a monitor and keyboard connected so can go into Sage with Windows Explorer. Just don't have a clue where to look!

If it would be more appropriate to post this in the main Sage Software Forum just let me know please.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

Rod,

On your server locate the "SageTV\clients" subdirectory and find the .properties file for your HD100. Then, edit the line that says "STV=" and either remove everything after the '=' or change it to the STV file you want. This will reset the STV file it is loading for the HD100 if that is the problem
Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks so much, Craig - that fixed it. Only difficulty I had was that the properties.autobackup file kept reloading the original content. Drove me nuts for awhile till I figured out what was happening. So I disabled it until the new data stayed there and it made a new .backup with the new data.

Had a great discovery with our PSE catalog and WHS. I wanted to have a copy of the catalog in WHS for use with Sage. The main catalog resides on my wifes computer. To get the catalog into WHS in a form that your plug in would recognize the photo locations I did a backup of PSE on my wife's computer. I then did a restore to the WHS photo share. When the restore completed it opened the new WHS catalog in PSE on my wifes machine. So now we only need to have one copy of the catalog and Sage will of course always show the latest version. I had heard that running the catalog over the network would slow things down, but in this case it's faster. Probably because I had the catalog stored on an external HDD on my wifes old machine which only has USB 1.0. Everything seems to be running fine this way, but we'll keep our eyes on it for awhile.

Sure wish you luck with the 8.0 version of your plugin - do hope it's not too difficult of a project. I'm going to hold off buying 8.0 until you have it done.

Rod