SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Remote Codes for Address 2?

I have 2 Dish receivers, 2 capture cards, 2 Actisys blasters, a USBUIRT, and a partridge in a pear tree

I am only running one capture card because I can't figure out a way to configure Sage to control the second Dish receiver. I use the USBUIRT for my remote.

I intended to use the second blaster on com 2 to control the second Dish receiver using an IR fort but Sage always seemed to confuse the two and never worked right.

I think the most elegant method would be to set up the second Dish box as remote address 2 and use the single blaster to control both receivers. This would require a DishSatelliteReceiver2.ir file containing the remote codes for address 2. I fooled around way too long trying to figure out the hex contents on this file but failed.

Anyone have any thoughts? Just wait for V2?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Sage Expert

I too would like an .IR file with the dish address 2 codes. This is such a better solution than having multiple blasters and building "forts" around each so that they do not cross talk.

Please, please, please........
Old 02-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

hereugo. enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip dishircodes.zip (549 Bytes, 347 views)
Old 02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

Cool. I guess you succeeded after all.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I solve this by running SageRecorder as a network encoder on the same box as Sage TV. SageTV uses the ActiSys on COM1, and SageRecorder the ActiSys on COM2.. A bit kludgy, but I haven't figure out a way to change the address on my Dish receivers.. I'm on one of those residental QAM Dish systems, and the receiver is very basic, not even sure if it supports address 2....
haven't found a way of setting it anyway.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM

mlar did read this page?.
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=2608
Old 02-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

shs speaks the truth. That's how I changed the remote addresses.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Sage Expert

I'm going to change my second receiver to address 2 tonight. Add glbrown's .ir file and hopefully have one actysis controlling the two dish receivers.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wait a minute Rob, the ir files I gave you are for the uirt. I fought with the Actisys for a long time and switched to the uirt and after another long fight, finally got that to work. I don't think the files are interchangable but you can sure give it a try though.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Sage Expert

Whoops, I'm pretty sure they are not interchangable.

I was hoping you had solved my need for a USB-UIRT. I've been trying to get one for a couple of weeks now. I've tried to order the one with the 56Khz sensor, but I'm waiting (rather impatiently) for the paypal account setup to be completed. I have to get some four digit code from my next credit card satatment and enter it into paypal. I tried calling the credit card company to get the information, but they have not recieved the completed charge yet. Now, I see the USB-UIRT is not available until Feb 15. Anyway, maybe someday I'll have one and can get the second tuner set up.

Thanks again for the .IR file. Once I get the USB-UIRT, I'll be on my way.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:32 PM

glbrown you also using Twin IR Emitter like the one find here?
http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html
Old 02-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

nope, just the standard usb-uirt ordered from the folks who make it. USBUIRT0056US

It works great with 2 dish boxes and my cheapie remote.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

No, I haven't seen that before.. If that works I'll be very happy! And I can get rid of the "IR tents" I built in front of the receivers as well!

Any chance anyone out there has the ActiSys IR codes for UP and DOWN on address 1 and 2?

Little background. My Dish receiver tends to miss digits now and then. The best example is my local channels that are on 8222 and up. A very common scenario is this:

Sage TV tries to change to 8225, but receiver misses one 2, and ends up thinking you want channel 825 or 822 or something, which as you know, are the.. ehm.. more adult oriented channels, that I do not subscribe to (honestly!). What happens is that I get a dialog saying "This is a subscription channel, call 1-800-BLAH blah. Press channel UP or DOWN". The next time SageTV tries to change channel, nothing happens, since you haven't pressed channel UP/DOWN. Does this ever happen to anyone else? The second problem is when it tries to change to a 3 digit channel, and misses one digit, ie, 182, becomes 12 or 18. Fortunately there are no adult channels on 12 and 18, so the next time, SageTV will get it right.

So to minimize this, I've written an IR plugin for SageTV that does the following. Lets say it wants to switch to channel 182, it then sends the following key sequence.

UP <wait X sec> 1 8 2 <wait> 1 8 2

The idea being that if the Subscription required dialog is shown, the UP key will break out of the dialog, and then the channel change will take. If the dialog is not shown, no harm will be done anyway. It then tries the channel number again, in case it missed a digit. If it is already on the right channel, no harm will be done if it switches to the same channel again. No harm will be done if it tries to change to a 3 digit channel again, and misses a key. Harm will only be done if the second try misses a digit on a 4 digit channel change.

This plugin should make channel changes on Dish Network much more reliable.. The only problem is.. I'm unable to get the remote codes for the UP and DOWN keys on the remote. I even went out and bought a Palm V on eBay to sample the keys at 40kHz (like the keys in the .ir files that comes with SageTV), and I still can't get it to recognize the keys correctly...

If anyone could get me the IR codes for UP or DOWN, that would be great.. I only need one of them. The way I foresaw myself doing this was by first teaching SageTV all digits, and saving that IR file away. Then teaching it again (into another file), and recording the UP key on digit 0 or something... then manually editing the IR files to add the UP key from the second file to the first file...

So if anyone has the codes for UP or DOWN, in address 1 and 2, that would be so much appreciated *beg* Oh, and unless you can sample them at the same rate as the SageTV ir file, I'll need the digits as well...
Old 02-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Funny how we all seem to go through the same things. I almost threw a party to celebrate tossing the ir forts into the garbage.

I have been through the missed digits and the dish up/down dialog too. I have been recording quite a bit of pbsyou which is 9402 for me so I have 4 digit experience. What seems to have solved it for me was placement of the uirt. I have it set up about 3 feet from the dish boxes canted a bit to cover the rest of the room. The dish boxes are set sideways on a shelf pointed right at the uirt in the corner of the room.

Tomorrow makes a week with zero mistakes so far. Each dish box is recording at least 12 hours a day. Needless to say, I delete much more than I watch.

The next system will have dedicated emitters, thanx for the link shs, now that I know I can make a 2 tuner system work right.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:56 PM

That what I though you where doing glbrown
That way can get riad all IR and used one IR
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 PM

mlar ActiSys IR is so out date it dosen't read the codes rigth make it all most in possable to do any thing with but thanks mark he manage to heck it just for dish receiver to channel but IR code for dishnetwork receiver is like all one code mean it make no diff what remote address you put the dish receiver on it still change channel on all receiver with ActiSys.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Sage Expert

My USB-UIRT arrives today.

My current question is for glbrown. Are you using sage recorder or does sagetv control both the dish receivers through the one USB-UIRT?

My two 250's are installed and working fine together.

Both dishpro 301's are up and running. One is on remote addresss 1 and the other is on address2.

Here's my plan for setting up the USB-UIRT:

Install latest API.

Install irsage.dll sage.

Install USB-UIRT hardware and driver.

Copy glbrown's .ir files.

Change ir_tune_repeat in sage.properties to 4.

Run sage setup for the first pvr-250 (connected to the dish 301 which is on remote address 1). Select the USB-UIRT, com1 and glbrown's .ir file for remote address1.

Do you see any problems so far with this plan?

Anyway, here's where I get lost. For the second tuner/dish301, do I run sage setup again and setup the second tuner with the second .ir file or will I need to install sage recorder to set up the second tuner?

Thanks for the help. It's nice to know someone already has this working.

Rob
Old 02-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
My current question is for glbrown. Are you using sage recorder or does sagetv control both the dish receivers through the one USB-UIRT?
Just using SageTV on a single machine right now.

Quote:
Install latest API.
What API?

Quote:
Install irsage.dll sage.
Don't need it, I think this is a girder thing and I don't run girder

Copy the files uirt?.ir to the common/RemoteCodes directory.

Quote:
Run sage setup for the first pvr-250 (connected to the dish 301 which is on remote address 1). Select the USB-UIRT, com1 and glbrown's .ir file for remote address1.
You will see those filenames in the selection dialog. Make sure you select the right address file for each capture card/dish box.

Quote:
Anyway, here's where I get lost. For the second tuner/dish301, do I run sage setup again and setup the second tuner with the second .ir file or will I need to install sage recorder to set up the second tuner?
Continue the setup for the second card/dish box. I have added/removed the devices a million times and most of the time you don't even have to sleep sage. Go ahead and make mistakes, it's cool. That's what I like about sage. For all it's faults, it's a pretty solid app.

Remote- You have to setup your remote buttons in 1.4 and copy the properties section into your 2.0 install. I keep a 1.4 directory in the same subfolder as 2.0 under a different name. Shut down sage, rename the 2.0 folder as a save, rename the 1.4 folder to the current name, and start up 1.4. Train your remote buttons, save the properties file, reverse the directory copy procedure, and paste the rc_commands into the 2.0 properties file. It's faster to do it than it is to write about it.

That is until we get a new release, hint hint

UIRT Placement- You have to ir blast to the dish boxes while using the remote somewhere in the room. I placed my dish boxes sideways on a shelf but have started playing with those little mirrors you can get at the auto parts store. Anyway, placement shouldn't be a problem.

UIRT Clock- This is an undocumented feature of sage and the uirt. You're on the couch watching something and see the three red blinks when sage changes channels. Reminds me to get up and do something. You see 2 sets of 3 blinks when both tuners change. That reminds me how neat this thing is.

23 days so far and it's been flawless

Last edited by glbrown; 02-23-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the feedback glbrown.

The API is the one Dan mentioned in his announcement of USB-UIRT support. He said it is required for the irsage.dll to run. I use girder to switch between SageTV, Theatertek, AccessDTV, playing music and displaying photographs. So I may need this.

For the moment, I'm still on version 1.4. I've been waiting to go to 2.0. I wanted to get the multiple tuners and USB-UIRT setup on 1.4 first. 2.0 may be the project for this next weekend. So, I'm also hoping for a new release soon.

I can't wait to get home tonight and try this out.

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 02-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I wanted to get the multiple tuners and USB-UIRT setup on 1.4 first.
Smart way to go. There are already too many posts IMO in the beta forum by people who went strait to the Sage2 beta without even using 1.4. Even though you are a Sage veteran, it's still better to setup/test new hardware in 1.4 first at least until the beta stabilizes more. Coincendently this will probably happen with the 2.0.13 beta(personal opinion). This is just guess work based on the length of time since the last release and what Jeff said here.