SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looking for suggestions on multi-server setup

I am moving in to a house and will be setting up my SageTV system again after having it mothballed for about 10 months. I will also be upgrading the hardware and switching the clients to the new SageTV HD Media Extender, so I am looking for pointers on the best way to get this thing running right the first time. Here is the configuration I am looking at:

Sage Server #1
AMD FX-60 CPU
2 GB of RAM
2 x 500GB HDD in a RAID 0 Stripe (1TB)
Running SageTV 6.x, ShowAnalyzer, XMLTV Importer.

Sage Server #2
Pentium 4 3GHz
1 GB of RAM
2 x 250GB HDD in RAID 0 Stripe
2 x Twinhan VP-1020a DVB-S Tuners
2 x Hauppauge PVR-150 Tuners
2x OTA HD Tuners (via HDHomeRun)
Running SageTV 6.x as a Network Encoder w/ MyTheatre plugin, MyTheatre 3.38

The basic idea behind this is that all incoming recorded video would go to Server #2 and get dumped to the 500GB HDD Array. Server #1 would read the MPEG-2 recordings off that server, transcode them to MPEG-4, run commercial removal on them (ShowAnalyzer) and store them to the 1TB array for use by the Sage HD clients. My concern's with this setup are:

1) Potential HDD throughput limit on Server 1. I can see there being problems if I am watching content off server 1 while its transcoding to MPEG-4 / Running Commercial removal.

2) Potential CPU & HDD array limitation between Sage & MyTheatre on Server #2 while capturing multiple HD streams. Perfect storm on this server would be recording from HD from OTA and DVB-S simultaneously while server 1 is reading recordings from the array.

Any comments / suggestions are very appreciated.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't see the point of two servers.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I don't see the point of two servers.
My personal experience with running mulitple tuner sources, transcoding and commercial removal is that a single box will be brought to its knees under a scenario where there are multiple transactions going on. MyTheatre alone can consume 40% of the 3GHz P4 recording an HD stream.