SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD extender blank screen after selecting server

Just opened up my extender today and am trying to get it setup.

1) Updated to latest firmware with no problems
2) Connected directly to my 1080p capable TV over HDMI.

I've tried various video settings configurations ranging from letting the device autodetect the available resolutions to forcing each individual resolution and the same thing happens every time. I save the settings, go back to the server screen and select my server. After this, the screen goes black and I don't see anything else. The device responds to the remote power button (the link/data lights go on/off when I press the power button on the remote), but the screen just remains black. The only way I can see something again is to do a cold boot (turn off/on the power switch in the back).

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

I just had this problem and ended up restarting the SageTV service on my server. Give it a try...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
I just had this problem and ended up restarting the SageTV service on my server. Give it a try...
Hmm.. tried this and still no luck. I've even tried to reboot my whole machine. grrr..
Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Are you running the latest version of SageTV? AFAIK, 6.3 is required and I believe they were working in things for the HD extender for the most recent 6.3.5 release made a few days ago. So, if you're not running 6.3.5, I'd upgrade.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

I did upgrade to 6.2.10 last week and then to 6.3.5 this week. Ever since my upgrade to 6.3.5, SageTVService has been having some strange issues with intermittent crashes which I haven't been able to figure out. Perhaps it's related.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29135

Last edited by emok; 12-17-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just figured out what my extender issue was. Of course, it was user error.

Back in the day, I was experimenting with placeshifter going through restrictive firewalls and had switched the placeshifter/extender port to 443. I switched it back to 31099 and it's working now. So if you see similar behavior and have previously modified these ports make sure you check them.

I haven't tried yet, but I think it might actually work using port 443 (or another port), but my windows firewall wasn't configured to allow 443 through (since I had forgotten about it) and Sage's installer doesn't modify the firewall to allow that port.

Now, if we could figure out what's causing this SageTVService crashing issue that some people are seeing with 6.3.5