SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Sage User

Extender dead

Hello Folks,

After upgrading the firmware (took a good 20 minutes) my extender is un-responsive. I have tried

1. power cycling as well as
2. reset - turn off power from back and then turn on while holding down the menu and up buttons (the instructions say home and up button but I am assuming home = menu)

Any help will be appreciated .... I am going to file a ticket next

P.S. My server is running the latest sage server software downloaded today)

One other point to add ... When i hit the power or any other button on the remore there is no repsonce (flashing led) from the extender

Last edited by nkd; 12-13-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

file a ticket - there is an un-brick procedure that they will give you.

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Sage User

I have filed a ticked a second after posting here ...
I hope I get some help today to I can get this working for the weekend
Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Sage User

Just an FYI .... support helped me with my issue and I am up and running now ...

Having a few issues with response time etc. but that's for another thread
Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
so lets hear your solution, thats what a support forum is all about !
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Sage User

The solution was simple ....

Download a file to your .../SageTV/SageTV dir and then go through a special sequence to un-brick the unit.

I can not go into details as support explicitly asked me not to post the instructions. They want customers to contact support to track issues
Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

My HD Extender is also currently dead. Another failed firmware upgrade..... I contacted support yesterday, but haven't yet heard back.

I currently get no video output at any resolution. I started the firmware upgrade and got to about 67% when my screen saver kicked in. I pushed the directional right button to wake the extender and it was back at the firmware update screen. I asked the extender check for an update. It said there was an update but that an error occurred and to contact support. I then reset the unit with the power switch on the back of the unit.

Hopefully support gets back to me soon!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Sage User

That's exactly what happened to me ...

The good news is that I am up and running after support sent me the "un-brick" instructions. Support should get back to you in a day or so

best of luck
Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well.... Mine has bit the dust as well. I am SO incredibly disappointed right now. Got the thing plugged in, turned it on - Beautiful! Moved around the menus, looked at a couple pictures (300 times better image then the MVP), went back to main menu, put it in standby to bring it back and start the Firmware upgrade - NOTHING. I can't get a single thing except the Power Light. Also, found it odd that neither the remote that came with it or the on-unit buttons would do anything. Only my existing 45-Button Hauppauge remote for the MVP got the thing to respond. Figured the firmware update would solve that issue. Oh well..... I normally never buy anything when it first comes out - but I have had such a great experience with Sage since I started using it over 2 years ago (started with version 4), that I went for it. I still LOVE the software and company - but I gotta' say - this really has me bummed. Looked forward to gettting home to play with this thing all day! Sent them a ticket already - I guess I'll look forward to getting home and taking another whack at it tomorrow, as well... I understand they want to track issues and therefore don't publish how to really reset the thing - but in the mean time - I have a new toy I can't play with!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

The recovery process also worked for me. My email didn't say anything about not posting the instructions though....
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update.... Well, I managed to figure out what the "unbrick" buttons were and got the extender running again. Firmware downloaded and installed without issue. Unit is working great now. However, after the SageTV interface loads, neither the remote that came with the unit or the front panel buttons do anything. They send a signal (proven in the "show remote command" screen), but SageTV doesn't act against them. Only the exiting Hauppauge 45 Button remote for the MVP works. Submitting another ticket for this. I never loaded any remote support on the PC, since I only use the extenders to do anything. Maybe this new fancy unit needs that...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThomas View Post
However, after the SageTV interface loads, neither the remote that came with the unit or the front panel buttons do anything. They send a signal (proven in the "show remote command" screen), but SageTV doesn't act against them. Only the exiting Hauppauge 45 Button remote for the MVP works.
On your server, check sage.properties for "ui/rc_mappings/<command_name>=" property lines. They've probably been customized on the server for some other remote in the past & are overriding the defaults for the extender.

Do you still need those remote codes for the server? If not, remove them all or rename them, then the extender should work after you restart. (SageTV or the service will need to be exited on the server before you can change sage.properties.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

BTW: the firmware update & recovery procedure has been posted as a new STX-HD100 FAQ.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey Opus4 - Thanks for the advice! I haven't had a chance to try it yet - but will, probably tomorrow night. Quiestion for you - I notced in another post that you gave an individual the same advice. However, they totally blew away the RemoteClients.Properties.Defaults and performed a "repair". Does the Sage install exec ask to do just a repair if it sees the same version already there? Should I do that, or just delete the lines of UI/RC_MAPPINGS/.... that are in the file?

I don't remember ever messing with the remote codes - have been using the standard MVP's forever just about. Although, when I first installed the software - I did have the bundle package with the StreamZap installed, which I never used. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThomas View Post
Quiestion for you - I notced in another post that you gave an individual the same advice. However, they totally blew away the RemoteClients.Properties.Defaults and performed a "repair". Does the Sage install exec ask to do just a repair if it sees the same version already there?
Probably.

Quote:
Should I do that, or just delete the lines of UI/RC_MAPPINGS/.... that are in the file?
You shouldn't need to do a repair install.

And, don't change RemoteClients.properties.defaults unless you've modified it yourself in the past. If you remove the lines from that file, you'll never get the remote working w/o doing a reinstall/repair install or teaching all the buttons to SageTV yourself.

Make sure to remove the properties I mentioned by editing sage.properties while the server is not running.

- Andy
Old 12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy - Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!!!
I will only touch Sage.Properties (after making a copy, just in case)...
Makes sense to me now. I really appreciate your advice!
(I certainly don't want to have to reload anything - I've been really lucky that way, so far... Knock on wood!!!)
Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy - turned out I didn't have any unique remote settings in my sage.properties file. Tech SUpport suggested I upgrade to 6.3.5, from 6.2.10 and that did the trick. I suggested to them that they update the web page to indicate the HD1000 needed at least version 6.3, not just 6... Thanks for your help - made the IR whole larger (under the smokey cover), upgraded to 6.3.5, and everything is working great now!