SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage and large numbers of MP3s

I've noticed, Sage doesn't like trying to deal with a large number of MP3s when browsing via "Music by Folder"... or any view for that matter. I'm getting really long delays trying to tunnel down to the music I want to listen to, with the resulting SageTVService pegging the CPU during that time.

Some stats...
33,280 files
4,042 folders
167GB
MP3s are stored on a separate HDD, connected via USB 2.0, mounted as a folder off the root of the primary disk in the system.
SageTV Version: v6.2.10.152
Java Version: 1.6.0_02
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 11-03-2007, 03:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd submit a bug report on this one straight to sage support.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Sage Icon

This affects large Photo library also, not just music. Increasing the Java heap size will fix it, here's the post taken from here by rickgillyon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
An update on this - looks like I was running out of memory in the heap. There's an entry in the registry under HKLM\Software\Frey called "JVMMaxHeapSizeMB". I've set this to Hex 200 (512MB) and a lot of my problems have disappeared. It mainly seems to hover around the 279/338 (ish) now. Great stuff!
I've done it to all my machines and the performance is noticeable.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
I'm getting really long delays trying to tunnel down to the music I want to listen to, with the resulting SageTVService pegging the CPU during that time.
In addition to increasing Java's max heap size, check the size of your album art. Very large thumbnails will take longer to load & cause delays.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Sage User

seperate scanning of imported media

any chance we could get the ability to only scan for specific imported media types?

It would be cool if I didn't have to scan my fairly static photo library each time I added a CD to my mp3 collection.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Sage User

Sorry to bring back up an old thread but what do you mean by "very large thumbnails"? How big should they be?

I've noticed that sage appears to be resizing the image on the fly everytime I scroll through my music sending my cpu to 100%. What size would they have to be to avoid this?

Also, does anyone have any pointers on what program to use to do the resizing? I have a single folder.jpg in every folder and don't really want to have to go through the process of resizing ~2000 images one at a time.

Cheers,

garmpe
Old 04-27-2008, 06:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmpe View Post
Sorry to bring back up an old thread but what do you mean by "very large thumbnails"? How big should they be?

I've noticed that sage appears to be resizing the image on the fly everytime I scroll through my music sending my cpu to 100%. What size would they have to be to avoid this?

Also, does anyone have any pointers on what program to use to do the resizing? I have a single folder.jpg in every folder and don't really want to have to go through the process of resizing ~2000 images one at a time.

Cheers,

garmpe

I can't help you with how big (or small) to make your thumbnails, but I use this program to batch resize for posting on ebay / myspace / etc....

http://www.download.com/Batch-Pictur...dlPid=10797972

It's a basic shareware program but it works fine. For just resizing photos, it does what it needs to.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

How large are your images now? I'm not sure what the 'best' size is, but I've had no problem with album art that is 200 pixels wide.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Sage Icon

Does the JVMMaxHeapSizeMB regedit still apply for the current (6.3.10) version of SageTV? I have a pretty big mp3 and imported video collection and notice that the menus are pretty slow at times.

Also when I looked at that registry setting I noticed that it had a value of "0"
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Yes -- if you need more memory for a larger collection, then bump up that registry value.

- Andy