SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge HVR-4000 support

In conjunction with Qian here are the files needed for running the Hauppauge HVR-4000 in SageTV 6.2.

All files go in the C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV directory
Zip file includes:
Replacement DShowCapture.dll
Registry updates file HVR-4000.reg

Some NZ specifically configured files
PredefinedDVBS.frq including NZ freeview transponders on Optus D1 (configure as required)
Hauppauge WinTV 88x Capture-0.lnb configured for SkyTV NZ dual-throat LNB (possibly not required in Europe)

Format of the LNB file is
LNB=low oscillator frq-high oscillator frq-switch frq

For Later versions of SageTV you only need the registry file from HVR-4000 registry.zip. Run SageTV at least once with the HVR-4000 installed before loading the registry file and restarting SageTV

John
Attached Files
File Type: zip HVR-4000.zip (107.3 KB, 769 views)
File Type: zip HVR-4000 registry.zip (388 Bytes, 544 views)

Last edited by JREkiwi; 09-25-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Great I'll let you know how it goes
Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

No luck I'm afraid. However, no crashes now and it finds the sat file OK but what is the format of the LNB file and what folder does it live in?

My LNB is a single 11300Mz LoF

Lack of documentation doesn't help so flying blind
Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletop View Post
No luck I'm afraid. However, no crashes now and it finds the sat file OK but what is the format of the LNB file and what folder does it live in?

My LNB is a single 11300Mz LoF

Lack of documentation doesn't help so flying blind
Everything goes in the C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV directory

Format of the LNB file is
LNB=low oscillator-high oscillator-switch
so yours would probably be
LNB=11300000-11300000-11300000

John
PS. Recording Heroes on it now
Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thought that may be the case but the 11300MhzLNB switch freq is 0. Changed it to
LNB=11300000-11300000-0
sat_no=0
without luck

I've been through all the steps selecting different combinations but the channel scan fails. However, something must be close because the guide has the data (attached) "Reserved" could have only got in there through the scan

Also tried
LNB=11300000-0-11300000
sat_no=0
But tuning to a channel all I get is "no signal"

Its 2 hours now...............

Frustration is now setting in with the lack of information. Four year old threads that still don't have the answer. Where do you find this info?

Without tools there's no way of telling what is happening. At least with MyTheatre, DVBDream, ProgDVB 5 etc there is some way of seeing what is going on.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Satchan.doc (260.0 KB, 511 views)
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletop View Post
..............the 11300MhzLNB switch freq is 0. Changed it to
LNB=11300000-11300000-0
sat_no=0
After trial and error it was this one in the end

LNB=LoF1-LoF2-Switch Freq

It was taking so long to do the scan I'd thought it had failed

All working fine now just needs the Sky freqs for the Sky EPG, then mapped to the controller for the STB and I'll be cooking on gas!

Thanks for your help John
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Whoa, thats cool. Going to give this a try asap but dont have long as I've gotta goto to work soon.

All seems to be working ok as of the first scan, need more time to play with it but its working great at the moment.

Thankyou

Last edited by jaminben; 11-02-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I've a had a little time to play with the HVR4000 and the new files and I've come accross a few problems.

The DVB-S2 part of the card doesnt seem to work. (DVB-S is fine)

Some channels will randomly freeze or lockup which will then result in the client crashing.

If I remove one or all of my other tuners (DVB-T USB) then try and add them again via add new source Sage will create a duplicate tuner for that tuner in the list. To get around this I had to use a backup copy of Sage which didnt have the HVR4000 installed but did have the DVB-T tuners working then add the HVR4000. So basically it will only work correctly if you install the HVR4000 after you setup all your other tuners.

Apart from that it all seems to be working ok. I Still havent figured out how to use more than one Satallite at once (Astra 28.2, Astra 19.2 or Astra 23 ect) as they seem to overwrite each others channel list after a channel scan.

Many thanks to all who helped in getting this card to work with Sage
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately JREKiwi and me are both in New Zealand and we only have DVB-S at the moment so can't try the other tuners to assist you.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Sage User

I am a new Sage user and are having problems getting this to work what does your PredefinedDVBS.frq look like. I assume that this file has to be edited to work in New Zealand but am not sure what is required or how to go about it. I am using the current version of sage and have downloaded and installed the files at the beginning of the thread. I do not have sky so just want the free to air channels to work.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Sage Icon

The PredefinedDVBS.frq in the zip file has the NZ Freeview transponders already configured.

In the DVB-S Provider of the Video Source Setup select Optus D1

The other critical thing for setup in NZ is the LNB settings, which are dependent on the type of LNB you have. The LNB file included has the settings for a Sky Dual Throat LNB. If you have another LNB you will have to change the LNB line in it to
LNB=11300000-11300000-0

John
Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your reply I have edited the file.
How long should I wait for the "please wait for the video preview to load" box to finish ?
What I am not sure of is how long the tuner takes to tune the channels or if something else is wrong.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyj View Post
Thanks for your reply I have edited the file.
How long should I wait for the "please wait for the video preview to load" box to finish ?
What I am not sure of is how long the tuner takes to tune the channels or if something else is wrong.
You normally don't get anything displayed in the preview window, so as soon as you are able to, select the button to continue then do a channel scan.

John
Old 11-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Sage User

Well it does not like going past that window looks like I might have to do a reload of Sage tv unless there's something I am missing any idea's. I have tried both the drivers that shipped with the card and the new ones on the Hauppauge website. I have also tried getting the Analogue tv tuner working in sage tv as well but get the same problem. I have waited for 45 minutes for the preview window to allow me to continue but it still says please wait. The wintv application works with the analogue tv fine but sage is no go.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you get this working?

Take a look at this post for info on LNB's http://mcraenz.googlepages.com/

and use the correct LOF frequency data for your LNB in the format JREKiwi advises above.

Make sure you have loaded the fix for the HVR 4000 posted by JREKiwi in the first post of this thread.

Be patient the scan can take a while.

Last edited by Doubletop; 12-08-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 AM
Sage User

No still not working I tried to get the analog tuner going but this had the same problems. Has anyone had the analog turner working after installing JREkiwi fix.
The analog tuner works with the supplied software that came with the card but not with sage.
I will try some more things to get digital part working soon but don't have much time at the moment thanks for asking.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Sage Icon

It's all still a bit of a work in progress. The analog tuners don't work with these files, but they do work in SageTV 6.3. Unfortunately there are still some outstanding issues with sync issues on the analog tuner when running Sage as a service and the DVB-T support has disappeared.

I think the focus at Sage has been on getting the HD Extender sorted and now that that's over, I'm sure we'll get these last things tidied up on the HVR-4000.

That said, the DVB-S side has worked faultlessly for me, and is the highest merit setting tuner in my system.

And just a reminder. You will not get anything showing in the preview window when you are setting up the DVB-S tuner for the first time.

John
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Sage User

Now its the holidays I have some time to get this thing up and running.
I checked the LNB settings in my free to air turner and they were set to 11300GHZ so have set the LNB file as below

LNB=11300000-11300000-0
sat_no=0

I am not sure which option to pick in the setup wizard I have the following options
Hauppauge wintv 88x video capture
hauppauge wintv 88x DVB-t tuner/demod
hauppauge wintv 88x dvb-s/s2 turner/demod
hauppauge wintv 88x ts capture<DVB-s>
hauppauge Wintv 88x TS capture
The reason why I am asking about this is some of these options won't go past the preview (just sits there for a long time) and am not sure if this is why I can't get card to work. If I new the steps then I can narrow the problem down.
I have tried all the options that I can and it still does not tune into any channels. The channel scan seems to happen too quickly.
I am currently using sage 6.2 would 6.3 be better if so do I still need to load in the fix files for the card ?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Sage Icon

hauppauge wintv 88x ts capture<DVB-s>
is the one you want for satellite.

Hauppauge wintv 88x video capture is the analog tuner
hauppauge Wintv 88x TS capture is the DVB-T tuner

The others are probably a hangover from before you had the updated DShowCapture.DLL. You could edit the mmc/encoders section of Sage.properties to get rid of them.

I've just been setting up another machine and found that the card doesn't supply power to the LNB, which I have confirmed on my machine. With a 2 power pass splitter it would work OK with a Motorola STB, but would drop the signal on a newer Pace STB and not be able to scan any channels. With a single power pass splitter with the Pace supplying power to the STB it would work OK.

I'm using 6.3 now. You still need the .lnb file if your using 6.3

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 12-29-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Sage User

All working now thanks to everyone who helped with this problem I could have not done it without your help.
This is what I did.
1. No matter what I tried I could not get it working with 6.2 sagetv.
2. Uninstalled 6.2, deleted any remaining files in the sage folder and installed 6.3 put the lnb file in the sage folder with the following settings
LNB=11300000-11300000-0
sat_no=0
I did not put any other files into the sage folder as they were already included with the 6.3 upgrade.
Then started sage and selected hauppauge wintv 88x ts capture<DVB-s>
Then selected Optus D1
Next the tuning took about 30 seconds picture quality is really good.

I am only really interested in the Satellite and analog reception as there is no digital terrestrial reception here.

I have not tried the analog turning yet but can wait for a fix if there are issues with the sync. I do have a WinTV PVR500 for analog tuning so I will see if this will work next.

Thanks again