SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Sage User

Basic Setup of Media Extender Questions

I have a Hauppauge PVR-150MCE and a SageTV Media Extender connected via a hardwired router. I installed the Hauppauge MediaMVP Ver 3.2 CD. I am part way through the SageTV Configuration Wizard.

1. I presume I select, "Yes, enable the server so I can use SageTV Client"?

2. I presume I select, "Yes, enable use of an extender or placeshifter client"?

3. I presume I do not select, "Configure Placeshifter users"?

4. When I select "Finding connection settings and options", I get, "Configure port forwarding to your local SageTV server. Server TCP Port: xxxxx, IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.xxx. Router: Manually forward TCP Port xxxxx to IP xxx.xxx.x.xxx."

This button is then relabeled, "Configure Placeshifter Connection". Selecting this button displays, "No UPnP Device Currently Available".

Enough questions for now. Please advise. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte View Post
3. I presume I do not select, "Configure Placeshifter users"?

4. When I select "Finding connection settings and options", I get, "Configure port forwarding to your local SageTV server. Server TCP Port: xxxxx, IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.xxx. Router: Manually forward TCP Port xxxxx to IP xxx.xxx.x.xxx."

This button is then relabeled, "Configure Placeshifter Connection". Selecting this button displays, "No UPnP Device Currently Available".
Those options are only needed if you are configuring SageTV so that you can connect to the server using Placeshifter at a remote location. And, if your router is not a UPnP device, or has that option disabled, then SageTV won;t see a UPnP device to configure.

Have you tried connecting your MVP extender?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Sage User

I have connected the MVP Extender. It displays the msg, "No streaming server found".

5. To continue my first msg, for the Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection, I should just ignore the items such as, "Test Placeshifter Connection", and Continue?

6. I have the choices about loading SageTV ... one of them being, "Yes, load SageTV in the system tray". What are the trade-offs with these choices?

7. I next encounter Select Remote Control. I presume I select, "No remote", since the remote I have is for the extender?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Sage Expert

Are you doing a fresh install of Sage???

I don't have my extender running any longer, but when I set it up I didn't need to load a CD or reload SageTV. I just enabled my current SageTV setup to function as a server and made a few changed to the windows firewall.

The instructions are on Page 258 of the manual.

You might want to disable your windows firewall to ease initial testing, then enable the fire once you've got it set up.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have connected the MVP Extender. It displays the msg, "No streaming server found".
Well, it won't connect until the server is configured & enabled. And, you have to make sure hte Hauppauge softeware isn't also running.... and I suppose ou should check your server's firewall settings. The basics of using the MVP are in Appendix M of the manual.

Quote:
5. To continue my first msg, for the Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection, I should just ignore the items such as, "Test Placeshifter Connection", and Continue?
Yes, if you aren't trying to configure it for Placeshifter usage. If you want to use Placeshifter, then this needs to be configured.

I'm a bit of a broken record about the manual, but just about every step of the Config Wiz process is in the PDF manual, starting on p. 128.

Quote:
6. I have the choices about loading SageTV ... one of them being, "Yes, load SageTV in the system tray". What are the trade-offs with these choices?
Well, if you don't have SageTV start in some way (service if using service mode, or the UI if not using service mode), then no recordings can get created.

Quote:
7. I next encounter Select Remote Control. I presume I select, "No remote", since the remote I have is for the extender?
This is to configure SageTV where you are using the UI at that time. If you have a remote there, then configure for it. Every other client configures its own remote setup. (But the extender is preconfigured to use its own remote.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I installed the Hauppauge MediaMVP Ver 3.2 CD.
You should not install this software when using the MVP with Sage. Sage doesn't need it, and it will only get in the way.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Sage User

8. Fresh install? I downloaded SageTV last night, and installed it this morning. I installed the extender / software tonight.

9. PDF page 258? I think this was supposed to be page 253 which deals with Media Extender. I have also read this. The only item I was unsure about is that I need the DHCP server ... not sure how I verify this (WinXP).

10. Firewall? SageTV has been given full access. Is there another program that needs access? ... perhaps a Sage Server? Normally, when a program wants access, my anti-virus asks me. I also, tried disabling the anti-virus ... no difference.

11. Hauppauge software running? Not sure which Hauppauge programs, but to the best of my knowledge none are running.

5. PDF Manual? I have read the section starting at page 128. Unfortunately, for a novice, it does not provide enough information. For example, section G3 regarding SageTV Server. It is not obvious to me this is needed for the Media Extender ... although I thought that it probably was. Section G5 regarding Placeshifter Users ... because section G4 regards, "Media Extender and Placeshifter Server", it is not clear to a novice the two are not tied together and no action needs to be taken regarding the Placeshifter. ... etc. The information is a bit sparse for a novice.

6. System Tray? It is not obvious to me that having SageTV in the system tray means that it will automatically record. It is possible that something else needs to be enabled too.

12. Hauppauge Media MVP? I'll remove it.

13. Hmmmmmm. I just powered down, and re-powered the Media Extender ... I saw a msg flash on the screen ... "unable to obtain an IP address", before it continued to the next screen ... which points to the DHCP Server. Not sure how to set this. Please advise.

Last edited by cte; 10-15-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Forgot one question.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Section G5 regarding Placeshifter Users ... because section G4 regards, "Media Extender and Placeshifter Server", it is not clear to a novice the two are not tied together and no action needs to be taken regarding the Placeshifter. ... etc. The information is a bit sparse for a novice.
Oh... I thought it was obvious from the terminology that a Placeshifter user is only needed when using Placeshifter.

(Oh -- and installting an extender license allows you to use that same license for a PS user when the extender isn't turned on, so you may want to consider setting up a PS user anyway.)

Quote:
6. System Tray? It is not obvious to me that having SageTV in the system tray means that it will automatically record. It is possible that something else needs to be enabled too.
I suppose it could use a link there to point you back towards the Quick Start Guide on p. 18, since this is one of the very first things covered there, where some of the basics are discussed, after going over the installation & initial setup info.

- Andy
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

cte - I found when adding MVPs that after adding the MVP license to the Sage server, I needed to restart Sage. Once I did that, everything went smooth. No need to install any software on MVP - it had everything needed.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
13. Hmmmmmm. I just powered down, and re-powered the Media Extender ... I saw a msg flash on the screen ... "unable to obtain an IP address", before it continued to the next screen ... which points to the DHCP Server. Not sure how to set this. Please advise.
Pardon me if this sounds derogatory; I have no way of knowing what your level of networking expertise is.

For most home networks, the DHCP Server is actually located on your router, which is either connected to your modem (cable or DSL), or in some cases, the same appliance as your modem (Bellsouth DSL modems are also routers). To see if you have DHCP enabled on your network (which you probably do, unless you specified a network address for your WinXP machine), you can run the following commands on your WinXP box:

1. From the Start menu, Select RUN...
2. Type in cmd in the Open box, and hit OK
3. In the DOS prompt that opens, type in ipconfig/all and hit return.
4. You'll see all kinds of stuff, including whether or not your XP box's IP address was assigned by DHCP (yes or no), and you'll also see the address of your default gateway, which should be the same address as your router.
5. Enter the ip address of the gateway in a new browser window, and you get a configuration page for your router. Google it, and you should find instructions for enabling DHCP on your particular router.

Other things to investigate:

Is your MVP wired or wireless? Wireless can be a bit of a bear to set up; the wireless card is a bit finicky at times. You may want to hook it up wired at first to ensure that it works before moving on. Or, you may want to stop the Sage Service, reinstall the Hauppauge drivers, and see if you can get it to work.

Do you have security on your router? I used to run MAC address level security on my wireless access points; a side affect was that no machine, wired or wireless, could connect to my network unless I allowed that specific MAC address to connect.

Stu
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Sage Expert

cte,
Sorry about the questions. When last you posted you were having problems with a Win2000 install. I'm assuming you're now running on XP SP2?

It might clarify things for us if you told us what you're currently running:
PC hardware, OS type, Firewall software (windows or 3rd party)
Router brand

The main SageTV application serves multi-functions. It provides a master "Graphics User Interface" to interact with all it's functions, provides a Program Guide, a Favorites Scheduler, it's a recorder and a playback unit. It allows client to connect to it and control its functions. Sage can also act as a bootcode server to the MVP.

In order for SageTV to fuction, and be available for clients, SageTV must always be running. This can be done by leaving the application running (full screen, windowed or minimized to the taskbar), setting it to run in the system tray, or by running it as a background (hidden) service.

The Hauppauge Media Extender doesn't have any SageTV software loaded on it. The MVP is a 'Network Boot Device', meaning that everytime it's turned on it seeks an IP address from your network, then seeks out a special server to get software to operate (in this case, SageTV). Once 'booted' it will provide a conduit to the SageTV server.

If, for some odd reason, your home router doesn't provide DHCP (leased IP) service, then the MVP won't boot. You can try to enable the router to provide DHCP service or load software on an always-on PC that can provide DHCP service for your home network. There should only be one DHCP service on a network and the easiest to set up and manage is usually included in a home router.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Sage User

14. I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ on an Epox EP-8RDA motherboard ... WinXP SP2, Norton Internet Security 2005, Linksys WRT54G router, Hauppauge PVR-150MCE, SageTV Media Extender, two hard disks, the recording hard disk is 130 Gig formatted in 64K blocks.

15. After hearing of the problems with Win2K, I decided to bite the bullet and install WinXP Pro SP2 for my SageTV PC ... save some heartburn for upgrades in the future.

16. Networking experience? No offense taken. Thanks for the info. My networking expertise is fair ... am able to do things such as configure my router ... and things such as setting up sharing files between my two computers, one Win2K and one WinXP ... although my knowledge of WinXP is only a few days old (I have found that WinXP likes to do everything through wizards, which leaves me wondering at times).

17. After checking, my DHCP server is located on my router ... and it is enabled.

18. My router has both wired and wireless capability ... am using the wired for the media extender and my two PCs.

19. The router security is enabled. I tried disabling the router security ... no difference. Is there a way to determine the MAC address of the media extender?

Last edited by cte; 10-16-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fix things.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
19. The router security is enabled. I tried disabling the router security ... no difference. Is there a way to determine the MAC address of the media extender?
The MAC address for the MVP is printed on the bottom. Look for a scancode. If your WRT54G router is providing a DHCP address you should be able to see it by browsing the router and clicking the "DHCP" tab, then clicking the "DHCP Client Table" button next to "Current Assigned".

Once your router is furnishing the MVP an address it will then attempt to seek out an application server (SageTV). If the MVP gets stuck on this task it will probably be either the AntiVirus Software's firewall or WinXP Firewall is active and the ports are currently blocked. You'll need to disable the firewalls (for testing) or set the ports. Only one firewall should ever be active.

In Firewall, open the following ports: (SageTV PDF Chapter 17, page 216)
"What ports do I need to open in my firewall for the Media Extender"

There are a whole slew of TCP and UDP ports that need to be opened for SageTV and the clients to function correctly. It would be easier to Disable Norton and the Windows Firewall to test initially, then if you really want your server to have a firewall (behind your wrt54G NAT firewall) you can play with plugging in all the ports and testing.

Last edited by Conejo; 10-16-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 AM
Sage User

Today we do the difficult, tomorrow we do the impossible. The obvious often takes much longer.

Last night, I decided to connect my laptop in place of the media extender ... no communication. Hmmmmm ... it used to work.

A few weeks ago, I installed a power line ethernet to connect between my computer and my TV. At that time I verified it with the laptop to ensure it was working. It was ... 100 Mbps.

So what was different now? Well, I added power surge protectors by my computer and my TV a few days before I connected the media extender. The power surge protectors are corrupting the ethernet communication. When I remove the power surge protectors the communication is fine ... back to 100 Mbps! The media extender is much happier how ... displays the SageTV menu, etc.

New problem ... I mean opportunity. Everything is verrrrrrrry slow. For live TV, the media extender displays the programs, but in very slow motion. I checked the ethernet connection with my laptop ... still 100 Mbps.

When I display TV on my computer screen, everything works full speed. Is there some encoder option I missed installing or enabling for the media extender?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Sage Expert

What version of Java are you running on your Sage server? Sage installs version 4 by default, but I think most of us have had much better success with the MVP's by running version 6. Go to www.java.com on your Sage Server and see if you can update it.

Mind you, the MVP will always be a little slower than the Sage server, but it shou;dn't be sluggish.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Today we do the difficult, tomorrow we do the impossible. The obvious often takes much longer.

Last night, I decided to connect my laptop in place of the media extender ... no communication. Hmmmmm ... it used to work.

A few weeks ago, I installed a power line ethernet to connect between my computer and my TV. At that time I verified it with the laptop to ensure it was working. It was ... 100 Mbps.

So what was different now? Well, I added power surge protectors by my computer and my TV a few days before I connected the media extender. The power surge protectors are corrupting the ethernet communication. When I remove the power surge protectors the communication is fine ... back to 100 Mbps! The media extender is much happier how ... displays the SageTV menu, etc.
Those "Powerline Adapters" are actually "Bridges", converting your ethernet LAN traffic to [what can only be described as] 'power line noise' on your household wiring, then converted back. Most houses have two 'legs' or phases of 110-120vac (combined at your dryer to give you 220-240vac) and you'll find some of your household plugs are on 'one leg', and some on 'the other leg'.
Putting a 'noise filter' filters out the noise (ie, your converted ethernet traffic) before it can be converted back by the second unit. You can also see issues when there are noisy appliances on the same circuit as your adapters, though I doubt that this is causing issues with your MVP being slow. I only say this as a Heads Up to future issues with the PowerLine Adapters.

Last edited by Conejo; 10-18-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Sage Expert

What brand of Powerline Adapters do you have? 100Mbps is the cable-link connection. The Powerline Adapters usually only run at 10Mbps or 85Mbps.

I see that the box store is carrying the NTG HDXB101100NAS that does 200Mbps but will test slower in real-house conditions. There should be testing software that came with it to check your actual throughput. You also have options of slowing it down even further by turning on encryption.