SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

XP --> WHS Migration

Good thing --> WHS is Available for Purchases

However, what is the best migration path from running Sage on XP to Sage on WHS? Does anybody have a step by step guide?

While some people say I'm putting too many eggs in one basket..as long as the DB files ar backuped up, what do I have to really lose. Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

First off, before I even start...

What does WHS do that you really, really, really need that can not be done with what you have now? Also, what would you do if someone handed you $190? I know I would rather spend it on something else like a pair of HVR-1600s, or a decent 16 or 24 port Gigabit switch, or even bigger storage capacity.

*Steps down from the box*

I do not have a step-by-step guide, but the first thing I would do is to image your OS drive first, or install WHS on a different hard drive (may be best approach). Why ruin a perfectly good and working system and risk a long downtime? May help with WAF if all hell breaks loose with the WHS install.

I have personally used Drive Snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/news.htm) and find it is an AWESOME tool. In fact, I have it image my system drive every Sunday just in case something happens to it. The image can be restored to any other drive, and even to Virtual Machines like VMWare.

Here is a website that lists several free options for Drive Imaging http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml
SelfImage, DriveImage XML, or even DiscWizard for Windows all look like great candidates for imaging. (I have not used them as of yet.

I would also backup your SageTV directory as well.

I am going to assume you have multiple hard drives and only one is dedicated to the OS. You should have plenty of space to be able to create the image on one of these separate drives, if not you may want to get another hard drive (you can use it later for recording shows ).

After you have imaged your hard drive I would say feel free to install WHS and have at it.

WARNING: Windows Home Server (if it is likes the Beta) will Partition and FORMAT your drive for you. It would be best to ONLY have the drive you want your OS installed on connected to the computer.

This is what happened to me, and I knew it was going to do that.

Also, if you plan to use the disk management (not sure what it is called anymore) where you have to import your hard drives, be sure there is no data or content on them as WHS will FORMAT them on import.

Just remember... If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (I have broken SageTV or the computer it is running on many times by "fixing" it),
Protoman

- 1x HD 300
- 2x HD 200

Last edited by Protoman; 10-12-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Sage User

Hi, Trepidati0n. I've just set up a WHS machine, it works just great. It might be easier to advice you if you describe your current setup and your desired end result in some more detail. The reason for my WHS setup was to end up with a headless server and keep the old server/client as a pure client. WHS backup abilities and general ease of use wizards was the other reason.

In general I found gplasky's story of his setup quite informative (search his name and the term "WHS"). Also see the Sage FAQ for moving from one machine to another. If you are about to set up a WHS server in addition to your current setup gpalsky's guide is what you need. If you're just upgrading from XP to WHS on the same machine you're probably better of reading Protoman's mail once more - think about what you want to achieve.

WHS can handle HDs fully managed - in order to do so they will be formatted when the HD is added. If I remember correctly, WHS will format all drives that are available during install (so watch it!). If you add HDs after WHS install they will appear in the server storage tab. You can then manually select them to be managed by WHS - but you can also leave it unmanaged so that WHS can access the content. Nice if you want to copy the content.

Have a look at the SageTV FAQ about moving from one machine to another. It might seem a little complicated, but its really only a few details to get right. In your original server: Add the future location for TV recordings (the new server location) to video directories in addition to your current, then shut down SageTV completely. Set up new machine and copy all content to new location. Shut down new server. In your original server: Back up wiz.bin to be on the safe side. Rename the original recordings folder and start up SageTV - then SageTV recognizes that the recordings are "still there" - they're on the new location you added previously! Now shut down the old SageTV (for good), then copy the old wiz.bin to the new server (replace wiz.bin on the new server) and you're done.

To do the above using ONE machine (XP to WHS upgrade) do complicate things - but here's a try: Install WHS on new (separate) HD, use a firewire/USB external HD and copy video content to this (and use that as the "new location" in the description above). Also - it might be a good idea to rip out cables for the HDs that you do not want to be formatted once WHS is installed (plug them back in later - once WHS is installed they will appear as new HDs when they "reappear" after a boot, and then you can add them to be managed later on).

Oh - one more thing. Browse around and you'll find some discussions about letting WHS manage HDs or keeping them out of the pool. Reason is that WHS do not format in 64k blocks. Check out gplasky's post - you can reformat 64k blocks after the HDs are added. I did so my self. However - copy the folders that are to be shared to a separate location before you reformat. Copy back after and all shares work nice. Also note - WHS starts to use new HDs immediately. You'll have few problems if you add all the disks you plan to use in WHS for some time before you fill them with a lot of content. Read some posts on Microsoft's forums about this.

Thumbs up!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

WHS - It does what it wants. Formats to its block sizes, erases. Microsoft knows what's best for you.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
WHS - It does what it wants. Formats to its block sizes, erases. Microsoft knows what's best for you.
Odd comment - whatever.

WHS does a great job as a Sage server. Really, the whole point of Sage even having a client/server architecture is to allow a headless server. It is SO much more robust. Oaamaas sums everything up nicely regarding WHS so I'd follow the info in his post (and gplasky) without hesitation.

One thing to add though, if you are planning to try Sage for WHS - currently an "upgrade" install isn't supported (this cost me a $69 license fee to learn) which means that your SageTV license 'MUST' be for version 6.x or later to work. If you use an upgrade license (I also owned a license for Sage from the 1.4 version, and the upgrade license to 6.x) but when you install like you would 'normal' Sage (where you enter your original key and are prompted for the upgrade key) Sage WHS will just say that the original key is invalid and never ask you for an upgrade key. Hope this saves you some cash.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post

One thing to add though, if you are planning to try Sage for WHS - currently an "upgrade" install isn't supported (this cost me a $69 license fee to learn) which means that your SageTV license 'MUST' be for version 6.x or later to work. If you use an upgrade license (I also owned a license for Sage from the 1.4 version, and the upgrade license to 6.x) but when you install like you would 'normal' Sage (where you enter your original key and are prompted for the upgrade key) Sage WHS will just say that the original key is invalid and never ask you for an upgrade key. Hope this saves you some cash.

-PGPfan
Oh! I had some issues while registering my licenses as well. The install and migration took quite some time do to PSU failure in my old XP setup (had to be replaced) - so details are vague. If I remember correctly I found (after some trials and errors) a message about a needed upgrade license in the event viewer for SageTV Utilities after having entered my original version 2.x key. Anyway - I think I succeeded after having entered the keys in the correct order (or at least hope that I did - will know in a few days I guess). WHS now says "SageTV Server Licensed + ..."
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

So what happened here Trepidation?
I've just moved from XP to WHS over the last 3 days with no data loss.

Fraser