SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Serveral of us have noticed that our HD recordings are being tagged as 480i.
I did some testing. Looks like the MVP won't play *any* of the incorrectly tagged HD files (that say they are 480i).

However, I also have trouble with NBC recordings that are at 1080i -- they play, but with a lot of stuttering, even at Standard quality transcoding.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

BFisher - How do you compress the files so they are viewable? I have 480i recordings that play fine.

How can you tell if a recording is incorrectly tagged? What can be done about it to enable playback? I have a Chuck recording that says it's 16:9 1080i and I can't get it to play worth a crap. I have a different show in 780p that works fine. Is it possible to find out what formats should and shouldn't work?

Last edited by jjstok; 10-10-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstok View Post
BFisher - How do you compress the files so they are viewable? I have 480i recordings that play fine.

How can you tell if a recording is incorrectly tagged? What can be done about it to enable playback? I have a Chuck recording that says it's 16:9 1080i and I can't get it to play worth a crap. I have a different show in 780p that works fine. Is it possible to find out what formats should and shouldn't work?
I have had to do this for 3 recordings so far (and been able to watch at least 50 that have been fine (maybe more)). So far, I have not been able to find the pattern - ABC and FOX for the 3 that needed it.

Regarding Chuck, we just watched a HD episode last night (transcoded through MVP) - no issues at all. (for what it's worth)

To compress them (using SageMC) - (if I remember correct) once you stop the program (back at the program information page), click the "Send To..." button. Gives you a choice of Compress or Archive. I chose Compress, select one of the choices (so far I've used Apple Widescreen and DVD Long Play with AC3 without issue). Then chose if you want it to replace or add the compressed recording (first time I had it add it, but since I've been replacing without issue). My compressing starts immediately but I think you can schedule it for a non-busy time. So far, it's had a minimal impact on CPU so I let it do it immediately.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

That sounds like the conversion option from the Advanced option when you select the show. I'm on 6.2.10. I'm not finding a send-to option. It gives the same options. What version are you using?

All my HD conversions have failed so far much like so many others I have seen in the forums. At least the 1080i recordings. I haven't tried a lesser HD resolution yet. I'm trying one now.

Last edited by jjstok; 10-11-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

6.2.10 running SageMC interface. I'll double check exact steps once I get access to my Sage later...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sometimes my vids do not play over the MVP and some HD are tagged 480i. Will test if they are linked.

On another issue, when playing an HD recorded show transcoded to MVP, the picture is very long and narrow (most the time having black bar on each side). I have tried Full, 16:9, source etc, but does not change much.

Anyone know how to get HD shows to shows correctly over MVP on SDTV.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have my MVP set to source, and then adjust the TV to match the source... I haven't seen any issues.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

On my media extender I can't view HD channels live or recordings. Any ideas?

**UPDATE**

I deleted the client directory on the server and rebooted. I can now at least play live channels. Recorded shows still don't work. I guess I'm in the same boat as others now. I emailed support.

Last edited by deliverer; 10-24-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

While investigating this problem I came across what may be the source of the problem. All of the recordings that would not transcode properly showed the wrong format when I looked at the "detailed info" of the recording. Shows recorded in 1080i were showing as being recorded in 480i. I know the transport stream itself is definitely 1080i because that's all that CBS transmits here. The few that had the correct details were able to play on the MVP.

The wife has decided that this is unacceptable and I've reverted to 6.1.9 (this problem didn't exist in 6.1.9).

I mentioned this to support and they asked to see my log but obviously it won't do them any good now that I've moved back a release. Can anyone else out there check this and send them the logs if you find this to be true for you.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm working with Frey support on this issue. I'm currently building a log that I'm going to send in tomorrow morning to give them a good cross section of HD and non-HD programs that my HDHR has recorded.

Since I've started I've seen HD programs detected as 480i and SD programs detected as 1080i. Hopefully my log file will help them determine the root of the problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
While investigating this problem I came across what may be the source of the problem. All of the recordings that would not transcode properly showed the wrong format when I looked at the "detailed info" of the recording. Shows recorded in 1080i were showing as being recorded in 480i. I know the transport stream itself is definitely 1080i because that's all that CBS transmits here. The few that had the correct details were able to play on the MVP.

The wife has decided that this is unacceptable and I've reverted to 6.1.9 (this problem didn't exist in 6.1.9).

I mentioned this to support and they asked to see my log but obviously it won't do them any good now that I've moved back a release. Can anyone else out there check this and send them the logs if you find this to be true for you.
Is there anything major in 6.1.10 that I would miss if I downgraded to 6.1.9. My wife is starting to give me grief. Where do I get 6.1.9?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

So you have had no problems since going back to 6.1.9 yet? I've noticed with 6.2 just the SageMC is really punchy and slow to respond via the MVP. I have 6.1.7 but not 6.1.9. I'm willing to try jsut about anything to make this thing usable. Is 6.1.9 availble somewhere?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

6.1.9 is still working fine for me (no transcoder issue) I'm not exactly sure where you can get it but I did noticed there was a thread talking about how to get old versions. You might want to do a search around here or talk to Sage support.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
... All of the recordings that would not transcode properly showed the wrong format when I looked at the "detailed info" of the recording. ...
Do you mean you right click on the file, hit properties and look into "details"? I'm running VISTA and the details do not give me info on format.
Or are you talking about some other "detailed info" location?

Jan
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Oops! I forgot to post an update here. Frey support sent me a file which I posted here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...1&postcount=23

Seems to have fixed the problem with misdetecting digital recording formats. It's been running for about a week on my SageTV server without one misdetected digital recording.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
Do you mean you right click on the file, hit properties and look into "details"? I'm running VISTA and the details do not give me info on format.
Or are you talking about some other "detailed info" location?

Jan

No, within sage (At least default STV) when you click on your recorded file you may need to use the advanced view I'm not sure but there is an option called "detailed info" that describes the encoder that it was recorded on etc. in that information near the bottom is the recording format 480i 1080i etc.