SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage User

Different interfaces? SageTV MC vs. Media Extender

This is probably a very elementary SageTV question, but I've searched the forums with no answer so far, so here we go:

SageTV MC (as seen on my PC) and SageTV Media Extender (as seen on my MediaMVP) seem to operate separately in terms of UI. For example, I installed the weather suite via SageTV MC on my PC, but before it would show up on the Media Extender, I had to install weather suite again via the interface on SageTV Media Extender.

Likewise, I recently upgraded to 6.2.10. The upgrade was fine on the PC; however, the Media Extender continued to show the old interface even after pulling the plug and allowing it to reload. Ultimately, to get the updated interface on the Media Extender, I had to backup my Wiz.bin, Wiz.bak, Sage.properties, uninstall Sage, delete the SageTV directory, and then re-install Sage and put those files back in place.

So, I guess my question is, can someone help me understand how SageTV MC and SageTV Media Extender operate independently of each other in terms of the UI. Why didn't my SageTV upgrade happen on the Media Extender without me needing blowing away the entire SageTV directory. This seems like a question that a n00b other than myself would have asked previously, especially when it comes to installing add-ons, but I've never seen it mentioned that these must be done twice: once on SageTV MC and then again via the Media Extender interface.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this.

Last edited by jtshea; 10-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Each client can use a separate STV for its UI. If you change the UI on one client, that doesn't automatically change it on another client.

BTW: If you customized the STV on the server, then the extender should be able to use that STV w/o having to import the same customizations again, because the extender runs as part of the server's app.

When you install an upgrade, the PC clients automatically revert to the new default STV. For the extender clients, you will have to change the STV yourself.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtshea View Post
Ultimately, to get the updated interface on the Media Extender, I had to backup my Wiz.bin, Wiz.bak, Sage.properties, uninstall Sage, delete the SageTV directory, and then re-install Sage and put those files back in place.
Actually, you didn't need to do all of that. All you really needed to do was (on the Extender) go into Detailed Setup > Advanced > SageTV Application Package and load the (updated) SageTV3.xml, then re-import any addons you're using. Or as Andy says, if you've already done the import on the server, you could find the modified SageTV3-n.xml created by that process, and just load that directly on the Extender.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Along the same lines... I have 5 MVPs - is there a simple way to ensure all 5 are running the same interface options? It's a pain to go into each one and make sure all the options are set the same (ie - comskip on, themes, fwd/rev times, etc.) (I started using SageMC if that makes any difference).
Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

In your ...\SageTV\Clients folder there should be property files for each of your MVP's. They will be named according to each MVP's MAC address. Set up one of them the way you want and then make copies and rename them to the other MAC addresses. Make sure you do all of this with SageTV (including the service) shut down. And it is also probably a good idea to keep backups of the original property files. HTH

Aloha,
Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Sage User

Excellent information. Thank you very much.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

sweet! thanks Mike!