SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD MVP vs HTPC

Given the details regarding the soon-to-be-available HD MVP, I was wondering if using it to feed video to the main TV rather than the HTPC currently being used might be a good idea.

Move the HTPC into the 'back room'. The reason this appeals, at least to me, is not having to deal with constant driver updates.

Any thoughts ?

Also, licensing ... I currently have a MVP license, will I need another for the HD MVP ?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Also, licensing ... I currently have a MVP license, will I need another for the HD MVP ?
This has been asked and gone unanswered many times...........hummm
Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

well, if you buy the HD extender from Sage, it'll most likely include a license for it if it needs one.

As for separate licensing if you supply your own HD extender, they haven't even released the specifics on the unit. WHo knows, it may be sole-sourced to Sage with specialized firmware so it only works for Sage so there wouldn't be any third party sales of the extender without the Sage licensing.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Actually, this has been answered, Here...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=128

Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As I was about to point out & someone beat me to it... it hasn't been unanswered many times; the answer just usually isn't remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TBird View Post
Actually, this has been answered, Here...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=128
Thanks -- that's what I was just getting ready to reference. That info is still valid, though the extender will simply come with a license, so there is no need to supply a separate license yourself anyway.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm very much looking forward to ditching my SageTV client in favor of a dedicated HD extender. No more worrying about what codecs, filters, you have installed. No more "post your working hardware configuration" nonsense. Just plug in the ethernet cable and enjoy. Oh man, its going to be wonderful

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 09-27-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I'm very much looking forward to ditching my SageTV client in favor of a dedicated HD extender. No more worrying about what codecs, filters, you have installed. No more "post your working hardware configuration" nonsense. Just plug in the ethernet cable and enjoy. Oh man, its going to be wonderful
Ah, come on ... tell me you won't miss installing the latest drivers, trying out the latest version of Purevideo, buying yet another video card, buying PowerDVD just for the codec, the list goes on ...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
As I was about to point out & someone beat me to it... it hasn't been unanswered many times; the answer just usually isn't remembered.
I suppose another way to look at it is that it's been asked N times and unanswered N-1 times. To me that seems perfectly reasonable; I don't see any need for the devs to keep reposting the same answers to redundant questions.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ah, come on ... tell me you won't miss installing the latest drivers, trying out the latest version of Purevideo, buying yet another video card, buying PowerDVD just for the codec, the list goes on ...
Very true, but I'll still have my SageTV server to abuse

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I don't see any need for the devs to keep reposting the same answers to redundant questions.
I guess you can look at it that way.

But I don't think reposting an answer from 9 months back as being overly redundant......................but hey that's me.

Back to watching the fighting phillies
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But I don't think reposting an answer from 9 months back as being overly redundant.
Neither do I. My point was that they don't need to keep reposting it every time it gets re-asked. So naturally most of the re-askings will go unanswered. That doesn't mean the question has been ignored.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Advantage of Client

Quote:
Given the details regarding the soon-to-be-available HD MVP, I was wondering if using it to feed video to the main TV rather than the HTPC currently being used might be a good idea.
I assume the extender will not be able to surf the internet or access other programs external to Sage like a client can. This will keep me from using an extender on my main unit. I just can't give up reading the forum on 110 hi-def inches!! Also, I use TheaterTek for DVD playback.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
I assume the extender will not be able to surf the internet or access other programs external to Sage like a client can. This will keep me from using an extender on my main unit. I just can't give up reading the forum on 110 hi-def inches!! Also, I use TheaterTek for DVD playback.
Hmmm, the lack of a DVD player might be the deal breaker. There are multiple inputs on the TV, one for the HD MVP, another for the HTPC. I was so looking forward to moving the HTPC to the 'back room'.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm going to keep my HTPC but I will also use the extender. I'm going to take out the high power video card and run my 6100 graphics via VGA, take out the extra harddrives, undervolt and underclock the processor as low as it will go, and finally turn on suspend mode because it never works with sage running. I can still use the HTPC for playing my music and surfing the web, and now I can use itunes or any other audio software I want without leaving sage and worrying that my GF will never get the system back on with FSE enabled. Maybe I'll try hooking up a touchpanel. I can play with this thing all I want now without messing up my TV. Ah, it will be grand.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hmmm, the lack of a DVD player might be the deal breaker. There are multiple inputs on the TV, one for the HD MVP, another for the HTPC. I was so looking forward to moving the HTPC to the 'back room'.
I'm also going to get myself an HD player now and that can handle my DVDs as well. I'll never have to worry about a driver issue causing stutter on my DVDs again. I'm looking forward to my audio/video system getting back to appliances, and not annoyances.