SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I think what Sakker is referring to is that people start spending boatloads of Christmas money today. If this is not available, then money that would be allocated to it could go to something else. Yes, there is still plenty of time left before Christmas, but time and money are both factors.

My layman's guess is they are holding off the release of the HD Extender until the current beta of Sage is complete.

Robert
Old 11-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakker View Post
Seems like bad business to not have a product out by now that is supposed to be available for Christmas.
Of course releasing something that is not ready wouldn't be festive for anyone...

Of course, they could sell the hardware now and wrap up all of the loose ends (assuming they are software related) while these are all wrapped up under the Christmas tree
Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

The only way my HD extender is going to see the bottom of a Christmas tree is if the tree is put on top of the media center

What about the Jewish customers? Hanukkah starts in a week or so!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakker View Post
Seems like bad business to not have a product out by now that is supposed to be available for Christmas.
Maybe, maybe not. But it is definitely bad business selling a product before the bugs are worked out. I can wait till after Christmas if need be.

S
Old 11-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

A Few months back I was chompin at the bit.

Things have changed for me. I still might get one but since I just ordered a Direct TV HD DVR (being installed tomorrow), I am less excited. I also just found out that the new Direct Tv DVR,s have some limited networking features like Media Share that allow you to play your shared Music and Pictures from your networked PC. Plus they just released the new Video on Demand feature and are supposed to be working in on a way to share video on your PC. I am sure it will include restrictions but I might not even need a media extender.
All things considered I think SageTv is moving as fast as they can but will probably miss out on the huge opportunity to cash in on this for this Xmas season. Unless its released within a week or so most wont be seeing them under the tree this year.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Sage User

I'm really psyched about the potential of this HD extender. I have alot of these Sigma Designs boxes: an Avel Linkplayer2 & a TViX box, aswell as a mediagate HD350. They all have roughly equivalent hardware, which is actually very good (good video quality + codec support, etc). The one deficiency all of these boxes have is the software on it. All of the UI + functionality is seriously not up to snuff, always needing upgrades and never quite "getting there". With a robust server software + their proven ability to program for the hauppauge extender, I really excited about the prospects of good hardware finally being combined with good software. If they can just make it work exactly as a PC extender with HD capability - then that is accomplished imo. I'm looking forward to replace all my Sigma boxes with this HD extender. Please don't dissapoint SageTV!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH2006 View Post
I'm really psyched about the potential of this HD extender. I have alot of these Sigma Designs boxes: an Avel Linkplayer2 & a TViX box, aswell as a mediagate HD350. They all have roughly equivalent hardware, which is actually very good (good video quality + codec support, etc). The one deficiency all of these boxes have is the software on it. All of the UI + functionality is seriously not up to snuff, always needing upgrades and never quite "getting there". With a robust server software + their proven ability to program for the hauppauge extender, I really excited about the prospects of good hardware finally being combined with good software. If they can just make it work exactly as a PC extender with HD capability - then that is accomplished imo. I'm looking forward to replace all my Sigma boxes with this HD extender. Please don't dissapoint SageTV!
You seem to be the person to ask...

Does the software or hardware on any of your Sigma solutions allow it to play x.264 MKV files? Or any kind of captured HD transport streams? I'm trying to get an idea of it's compatibility with the different formats and containers.

Robert
Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
You seem to be the person to ask...

Does the software or hardware on any of your Sigma solutions allow it to play x.264 MKV files? Or any kind of captured HD transport streams? I'm trying to get an idea of it's compatibility with the different formats and containers.

Robert
Yes. My tvix 4100 can play x264 encoded files in mkv containers no problem. I believe 1080p files had some issues, which might be resolved now. 720p plays perfectly (except they forgot to implement rewind, *boggle*). This was via a firmware update. As to transport streams I have no experience - but I believe its supported.

I hope sage decides to include mkv support. It seems to require a bit more work than the other more standard containers.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH2006 View Post
Yes. My tvix 4100 can play x264 encoded files in mkv containers no problem. I believe 1080p files had some issues, which might be resolved now. 720p plays perfectly (except they forgot to implement rewind, *boggle*). This was via a firmware update. As to transport streams I have no experience - but I believe its supported.

I hope sage decides to include mkv support. It seems to require a bit more work than the other more standard containers.
If your tvix 4100 supports .ts, .mpg, DVD and .mkv, then I would buy that over the Sage extender if it did not (Sorry Sage). Hopefully they include multiple container support in the Sage Server and demux as necessary if the new HD extender does not support it natively.

Robert
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
"It's a SageTV product." Not sure, if I should consider this good news And it doesn't mean (or matter) that much anyway.

If it actually works that is.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Why-is it Christmas already?

Gerry
It must be. 3 of the presets on my trucks radio started playing Xmas music 24/7 a couple days BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Remember the good old days when noone even talked about Xmas before Thanksgiving and stores didn't put ANY xmas stuff out until AFTER Thanksgiving? And no Xmas decorations, trees, etc before 12/15!

BAH- HUMBUG!!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Sage User

FCC Testing

Anyone know if this has shown up on the FCC website? I know a lot of leaked product info shows up by people digging into the FCC site and finding test info.

Wouldn't that be a good indicator of the time line of the box release?

How long does testing take?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyToo View Post
Anyone know if this has shown up on the FCC website? I know a lot of leaked product info shows up by people digging into the FCC site and finding test info.

Wouldn't that be a good indicator of the time line of the box release?

How long does testing take?
Boy, sure hope the FCC work was done long ago, it can take months.

I've already bought a new case to house the no longer needed HTPC. And I've dug out an old DVD player to use. And, 'she who must be obeyed' has given her blessing, well, she didn't say no ...

So, figure in order to make Christmas, the hardware should be on its way to Sage. Probably, as someone already mentioned, just waiting for the final touches to 6.3. At least, that's what I hope.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

Where will the formal announcement be made when they are released? It would be great if there was one place I could check every hour or so to make sure I get one before they sell out.

Jesse
After waiting nearly a year (since CES) and having been willing to pre-order, I cannot even imagine how pissed I'll be if they sell out before I can order one.

There has been plenty of activity on the forums for Sage to guage the demand for these. If there is even a chance they will sell out before everyone interested can buy one, then Sage needs to limit the number of units in the initial orders so that everyone interested can get at least one.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If there is even a chance they will sell out before everyone interested can buy one, then Sage needs to limit the number of units in the initial orders so that everyone interested can get at least one.

I agree, no multiple unit sales if supply is limited. I think everyone should have the opportunity to get 1 before someone else gets 5.

I also am confused as to why there isn't a spec announcement yet. If they are really are imminently about to go on sale I would think marketing would want to announce a new "Coming Soon" product on the front page with full specs just to tease if nothing else. This information blackout is kind of odd.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

With regards to Christmas, while I certainly hope it arrives before Christmas, it isn't going to hurt their sales if it doesn't.

Let's face it, this is not going to be a mainstream media device that needs to be on store shelves before Christmas so people will buy it. Depending on the size of Sage's first load, these things are going to sell out regardless of timing. Nobody's spouse is going to think about what to get for their spouse and decide that the new Sage HD media extender sounds good, if it was only available before Christmas. No, these things are going to be bought by the Sage users themselves and will be purchased regardless of the time of year.

Of course a purchase might be delayed a short while if the release isn't until Mid January if some people have racked up a lot of credit card debt over the holidays. But I think that isn't going to effect (or at least stop) most people.

Just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree with me (I'm use it .
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
then Sage needs to limit the number of units in the initial orders so that everyone interested can get at least one.
BRILLIANT!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

OMG, if they sold out before I could get my hands on one I would be so disappointed. I've been waiting for this thing for a year now, and lately I've been putting off fixing the new stutter on my main client, knowing that I can deal with it for a couple of weeks. If I had to wait longer I might just have to reformat this client and get rid of the damn stutter. None of the easy fixes have worked. I am not looking forward to my girlfriends face when she finds out she can't watch TV until I fix this thing.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think I'll start camping out in front of the Sage offices, buy as many as I can at midnight on release day, then sell the on eBay with a 100% markup. Heck, if I bring a generator and a Verizon card, I wouldn't even have to take days off from work!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

LOL, I doubt you'd be able to sell them at that high of a mark up though. It's not like these things are PS3's or Wii's (or is that Wii'?)...