SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Sage Icon

HDTV verses analog TV receiption

I have a rooftop antenna that I setup to receive local analog TV during Dish Network rain fade outages. I do not own a HDTV yet, but I am curious about the difference between HDTV and analog TV over the air reception quality.

My analog over the air TV reception quality is fair, but does not have solid clear picture quality. I have cable TV to get clear picture quality. I used to have Dish Network with locals for good local station picture quality. My old house was on higher ground and had a clear shot to the television towers, and had perfect over the air picture quality.

Do over the air HDTV signal saturate the local coverage area better than analog TV signals? Or, are HDTV over the air signals about the same level as analog TV?

If over the air HDTV signals are much stronger, then I might have a chance at receiving perfect HDTV signals with my roof top antenna.

Dave
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I have a rooftop antenna that I setup to receive local analog TV during Dish Network rain fade outages. I do not own a HDTV yet, but I am curious about the difference between HDTV and analog TV over the air reception quality.

My analog over the air TV reception quality is fair, but does not have solid clear picture quality. I have cable TV to get clear picture quality. I used to have Dish Network with locals for good local station picture quality. My old house was on higher ground and had a clear shot to the television towers, and had perfect over the air picture quality.

Do over the air HDTV signal saturate the local coverage area better than analog TV signals? Or, are HDTV over the air signals about the same level as analog TV?

If over the air HDTV signals are much stronger, then I might have a chance at receiving perfect HDTV signals with my roof top antenna.

Dave

In my experience, I found its kind of hit or miss depending on the local towers. I believe HD (digital) and SD (analog) are transmitted at the same power from the relay stations. I experimented with analog/digital and it seemed to me if you have an analog signal that shows even a little interference or "snow", you will still receive a great HD picture (and digital audio) with no drop outs. In otherwords, you need a much stronger analog signal than a digital signal for perfect picture.

Use this to see if there is any digital towers near by to help you judge if you will recieve a strong DTV signal:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
This will also help gauge the size antenna you need and the direction you would want to point it.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Sage Expert

Based on my experience here in Philadelphia, i would say most ATSC broadcasts are still done on secondary (aka lower-powered) antennas. Over the past two years + since i switched to ATSC, i have been seeing a gradual, but noticeable change in the quality of broadcasts.

The true benefit of ATSC over NTSC is that there is no "grey area" of tuning the antenna. you either get the full digital signal, or you lose it - ATSC locks in the signal exponentially better than NTSC. the down side to this is that people on the fringe will probably not be able to get reception, there won't be any snowy picture 60 miles away from the broadcast antenna, it will just be a blank screen. Once NTSC is off air, and ATSC takes over the main broadcast antennas, reception should get even better too.

looking at the fox morning news right now, without a doubt ATSC is better than HD over Comcast here - it all must be from compression artifacts, but it is noticeable.

The great thing is that i didnt have to touch my antenna to receive ATSC broadcasts, you simply use a new tuner or STB and plug it into your coax from the antenna. I'd simply grab a STB from a local outlet and test it out.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am new to antennas, just installed mine last weekend - but I can tell you that the digital picture is perfect... and the analog picture was snowy for most channels on my set. I installed the antenna to get HD channels and am glad I did! Now I just need a HD extender

If you need to buy antenna equipment, I was very happy with Solid Signal - very helpful and had everything I needed.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
I am new to antennas, just installed mine last weekend - but I can tell you that the digital picture is perfect... and the analog picture was snowy for most channels on my set. I installed the antenna to get HD channels and am glad I did! Now I just need a HD extender

If you need to buy antenna equipment, I was very happy with Solid Signal - very helpful and had everything I needed.

just make sure you don't overpay for antenna equipment. antenna needs for ATSC are no different than NTSC. the "HDTV" antenna marketing ploy is just to rip off unknowing consumers.

when i went ATSC, i simply re-attatched the 20 year old antenna already mounted on top of my house (row home in Philadelphia) and got a gorgeous image.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom