SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Sage User

Multiple Tuner Question

Hi All,

I am currently using Snapstream BTV 3. It does not support multiple tuners. I am planning to move my current "test" HTPC into the family room within the next 30 to 60 days (I have to ensure it is rock solid and meets WAF).

A major flaw (imo) in Snapstream is the lack of multiple tuner support. It might be 3 months or more before it's in there and I might not alst that long with that flaw.

So... I am evaluating Sage because once Frey adds Canadian EPG, I will likely switch over.

Questions regarding multiple tuner support:
1. I have a Motorola Digital Cable STB; If I want to record 2 digital channels, so I need 2 STBs?

2. If so, how do people configure these? I am currently using a myBlaster because I couldn't get the serial port activated.

3. If I only want the second tuner to have analog cable channels, I am assuming that I can go straight from the wall into the tuner card; with the other one configured to go from the STB output.

4. How do Sage users handle multiple tuners where the source is a digital cable / satelite tuner?

Any feedback much appreciated!

eggman
Old 12-29-2003, 05:15 PM

For Dishnetwork user that very eazy being Dish box it self can be setup on diff remote address unlike Cable and DirecTV box's as far I know of if your using a IR blaster but there is a work around for DirecTV is know as serial control.
Dose you Digital Cable STB diff remote address?
Read the post I made here
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...0&pagenumber=3
I think your only real option is Network Encoding
In tell some come with Technologies need as said in above forum
Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
1) if you want to record two simultaneous shows on digital digital channels, yes you need 2 stbs.

3) yes you can go straight from the wall to the card. You might even consider going straight from the wall to the composite input on your tuner card that is connected to the digital stb. Then you can configure sage so that only the digital channels are assigned to the svideo or component inputs and the analog channels will be picked up from the composite. That way you have less of a chance of a channel change gone wrong.

t
Old 12-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Sage User

Hey thanks for the replies.

I believe that in order to really have the freedom I want I am going to require 2 STB, each with a dedicated PVR250. The STB in my area is cheap, can be eBay'd for $50, so it's not too big a concern. I'm not upgrading to an HD STB for at least a year - hopefully never as I'd prefer to get HD support from a PCI card. Anyways there are only a couple of HD channels available at this time, so not a big deal.

How do Sage users control channel changing from 2 different STBs?

I could not get the cable company to enable my serial port, so I am using a myBlaster right now. I think some of what SHS linked to went over my head hehe.

eggman