SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

6.2.6 DVD interlace, Source vs. Fill Aspect ratio

Widescreen LCD monitor. 1080P Native, running at 720p
Nvidia 8600GTS Forceware 163.44
Nvidia PureVideo Decoder 196.122 ( I think, the latest one anyway )
Vista Ultimate
SageTVCient 6.2.6 Beta
Overlay

So I'm not sure if this is a Sage problem or a video decoder problem, EVR support problem or what exactly.

I noticed that DVD's when payed back in Sage don't look to be de-interlaced at all. This started with 6.2.5 I believe. The menus were horribly jaggied and almost un-readable. Video too was interlaced and generally looked bad. I reverted to using WMP to watch DVD's and waited for the next beta.

So 6.2.6 came out and, other than the other menu, problem things looked better. At least the first time I watched a DVD. The second time I tried they looked horrible again. I figured out that the problem was due to the current aspect ratio mode. I don't know why but DVD's only look good when using the "Fill" aspect ratio. When using "Source" they look as if they are not being de-interlaced.

So some combination of Monitor / Video card scaling 1080P down to 720P and DVD Video Scaling 720x480 up to 1280x720 and the Source AR makes it look poor. While the Fill AR looks better. I have no zoom percentages set for these Aspect Ratio's. Any ideas?

I installed the updated dll for 6.2.6 on my vista sage client but that didn't help, or correct the dvd menu issue.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm glad I found this... I upgraded to 6.2.7 and I started experiencing the exact problem that you describe. I tried playing one of my imported DVDs, and sure enough I was using Source, and when I switched to Fill the deinterlacing artifacts went away!

My specs are similar to yours:

vista home premium
1080p display (running at 1080p)
8500gt
purevideo decoders (v.223) running overlay (I hope that EVR is coming soon!)
core duo 4300
Forceware 163.44

The strange thing is that I uninstalled sage and went back to what I was using (6.2.5) and the problem remained! I tried other codecs with no dice... even uninstalled purevideo and used the sage and the microsoft vista decoders with no luck. but setting AR to fill fixed it!