SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage User

Having issues with EPG update

After a memory upgrade to my computer, I can no longer get my EPG to update. (No, I just think it is a coincidence, but it is what caused me to restart my computer)

I have tried:
- checking my system to verify the firewall is turned off and internet connectivity is available
- to reboot, both the computer and the switch
- the "force update" a la the FAQ (add a channel to the lineup)
- and finally to remove my tuner selections and add them back again (super force the update)

And this is where the problem really gets bad, because when I now try to add back my tuner selections and I enter my postal code for my cable provider it gives me the "There was an error connecting to the SageTV Server."

Now instead of having 8 days of content left to figure this issue out, I now have no EPG data and need to figure this out ASAP.

I am running XP with service packs and the latest version of Sage 6. It has been working flawlessly for the past few months.

Please, any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Paul
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

I was able to download the provider list just now.

Have you tried the other part of the FAQ, where it suggests removing any properties lines containing 'server_update_id'? (But, that probably wouldn't prevent the providers from downloading.)

Also, double check the firewall ports.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Sage User

I checked the properties file and did not find the 'server_update_id' property, so that must have been removed when I deleted the tuner configuration.

And I double checked the firewall. I even went so far as to set the Windows Firewall to 'Manual' so it wouldn't start up. No other firewall product is installed.

Thanks for checking the availability of the Server (I didn't think it was that anyway).
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Further information: I have tried to input an area code instead of a postal code and it gave me the same error.

I know the Internet is available because I can browse the weather service and Google video from the media menus.

Also, I restored the properties file to a copy I made before I removed the tuner definitions, so my channels are back, along with the 8 days of information I still have.

BTW: where is the EPG data kept? In older versions, wasn't it kept in a separate text file in the main directory? I thought that data was deleted once I removed the tuner definitions.

Are there log files that might give me a clue where the communications is failing?

tx, p.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:42 PM

I am having the same problem. I have SageTV installed and working on my computer with a dual tuner card. I had both configured to cable tv and had gotten the EPG for both. I tried to reconfigure one tuner for DirectTV. When I got to the EPG section I received the cannot connect to SageTV servers error message. I checked the program guide on the tuner which was still configured and it had been updated yesterday. I tried the same configuration two days ago with the same result, however the EPG that is still configured can receive updates so I can connect to the server, just not the one that gives the service providers. Any help would be appreciated since I am down to one tuner.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM

I am having the same problem in Birmingham AL. Same errors as above.
Cable system is BellSouth Americast.

Last valid EPG data was for 8/7/07. NO DATA was shown for the listings.

I have tried editing the server_update_id value; I have tried forcing an update. Complete reboots, shutting down Sage before editing, etc. etc. (I read all the previous threads here on this subject). I finally removed the cable service and tried to add it back, and now I am getting

"There was an error connecting to the Sage TV server. Please make sure your Internet connection is established."

when I put in my ZIP code to do a search on available cable systems. It is, of course, connect to the Internet ok, and I can do anything else (web browsing, email, RDP, etc.) that I want on it.

XP system, SP2; Windows firewall is turned off. I even port forwarded 7760 on my firewall/router to my Sage TV system, but it still indicates same error. My Internet hardware firewall/router has not changed. Tried turning on the console debugging window, but no error messages are displayed on the debug console when it returns the above message to the screen.

I am running an old version, 2.2, but it has been fine up to this point; i.e. it has worked pretty well for the past 3 years, before this.

Thanks for letting me jump into this thread.

Keith

Last edited by keithv; 08-08-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM

BTW, is there another way to test the Sage server connection, other than using the Sage TV program? Does it have a URL or IP address that I can try to ping, or at least try to resolve with nslookup? Maybe it's a DNS issue?

K
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeeping View Post
BTW: where is the EPG data kept? In older versions, wasn't it kept in a separate text file in the main directory? I thought that data was deleted once I removed the tuner definitions.
The EPG & all data for recoridngs, imports, etc., are kept in wiz.bin in your SageTV directory.

Quote:
Are there log files that might give me a clue where the communications is failing?
Here is the FAQ to enable debug logging.

I still don't have a problem connecting, so I'm not sure what is going on. I suggest you contact suport to see if they have better ideas than I have & I'll ask them to check the EPG server once again. (They checked earlier & there was no obvious problem at that time.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

I now have more details: There is a required EPG data change coming soon from Zap2it (affects how SageTV's EPG server gets the data, not how the data is presented in SageTV), so there are tests going on to deal with that new system before the change becomes mandatory. The new server system has been tested for several weeks internally at SageTV w/o any problems. For the past few days, the secondary EPG server has been the live EPG server using the new system. The primary EPG server is still configured to use the old system and was disabled. The purpose of this sort of testing at this time is so that the old primary server can be re-enabled if problems are encoutered... since you've reported a few problems, the old primary system will be re-enabled within the next hour in order for you to see if that is your issue.

Very old versions of SageTV were not programmed to connect to the secondary EPG serer, since it didn't exist when that code was written. But any recent version, including v6, should be able to connect to the secondary server when the primary EPG server is unavailable.

For anyone using really old version of SageTV: Your best bet is to upgrade to a newer version. V2.2 is very old and is not capable of connecting to the secondary EPG server, so that is why you ran into a problem during this test phase.

pkeeping: Since you said you are using v6, you should not have a problem connecting to the secondary EPG server. It would be useful for SageTV to know if you can connect within the next hour or so. If not, then there is probably still some issue on your system preventing SageTV from accessing the EPG server. If you edited the properties file, remember: you have to do that while SageTV is not running at all or else the changes won't be seen by SageTV. You could also try renaming the sage.properties file so you start with completely fresh settings.

- Andy
Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Sage User

Thanks Opus4 for all the great information.

I will force an update in about an hour, once my evening shows have stopped recording.

All changes I make to the properties file are while Sage is shut down. I haven't enabled debug logging yet. That will have to wait until tomorrow (I am on Atlantic time and it's getting late for debugging).

As an aside, my previous SageTV version was v2.2xxx before performing an in place upgrade to v6 just a few months ago (same computer, different program file directory). It went very well, but I am now wondering if maybe this could be a problem? Maybe a lingering registry entry?

Regarding Keith's question, is there any server name I can do a lookup on, or web site I can hit to check connectivity?

Thanks for checking this all out.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Sage User

I just checked and my system is now getting EPG updates with all the original settings.

Sooooo relieved.

I will keep a close eye on this thread over the next week. Let me know if I can be of assistance in testing any further changes.

I will also keep a close watch on my updates and report any further anomalies.

Thanks again Opus4. You rock
Paul
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeeping View Post
Let me know if I can be of assistance in testing any further changes.
I suggest you contact SageTV tech support with a link to this topic. They might want to get more info on your installation to determine what the issue was.

- Andy
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Thanks, Opus4. I was able to update after the primary server was brought back online.

I will definitely be upgrading to the newer version.

Keith
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Sage User

I am having the same problem connecting to the server. I have 1 HD antenna and 2 DishNeworks to configure and I can not get a connection to the SageTV server when I put in my Zip Code. It worked last week but I have had to reconfigure my devices and now I can not connect. Is there tests still going on with the server?

Other than that I still have full internet connection.

TIA
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

My Sage Server is also giving me the error "Unable to contact the Sagetv Server" Unfortunately I'm in the process of switching from directv to Dish, so until they get this fixed, I'm dead imn the water... I have logged a ticket with Support, but have not gotten a response yet.
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

I went to watch TV this afternoon and all my HD channels are gone from the line-up.

Nothing changed at all.

I removed one of the HD tuners and put it right back (sometimes solves this issue), and I get "There was an error connecting to the Sage Server."

Something is definitely wrong here.

any ideas? I really really want to watch HDTV tonight !

PS.... I have internet.... I posted this message.

thanks

stacy
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Andy,

I am using V6.1 and I cannot connect to this secondary server
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Sage Icon

I finally got it to go through. Now Sage is saying there are no channels available for this source.

Is something screwed up on the Sage server? How could there all of a sudden be no channels available on a lineup I've been using for over a year?

HELP!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

It is being looked into...

- Andy
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

A little more info here.....

Sage is telling me there are no channels available for that lineup. It only affects 23236 "Comcast Chesterfield Co. Richmond". The analog Comcast is just fine, hence why my analog channels are there but the lineup for the digital channels is gone.

My guess is this happened last night when the EPG was downloaded and I just now noticed it.

I have no idea when the EPG updates. What do I look for in the log? (I know it's also in the system info screen but that's unreliable as I've done another EPG update since then).

Stacy